Vibration through the steering wheel at 51-55 mph

nik_the_titan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ecoboost Mustang
Howdy peeps! So my 2019 Bullitt just ticked over 3300 miles a few days ago and I am having a vibration through the steering wheel. I had my tires replaced and balanced by Costco and even after a second balance I didn’t seem to cure my issue. I brought it to a dealer before the second balance and they recommended I get it rebalanced at Costco with a road force machine. Unfortunately my Costco doesn’t have one of those so I’m considering going back to the dealer to see if that would fix it. I was wondering if there’s anything the dealer or I are missing outside of tire balancing. Is a consistent vibration through the steering wheel indicative of any other issues on this car?
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Does this vibration feel like it favors one side or the other?
Tire balance would certainly be the first guess. Following that perhaps a damaged wheel or perhaps a failing wheel bearing. Another possibility might be a faulty tire. I have heard of damaged steel belts on new tires. I've also heard that sometimes breaking the tire loose and rotating it on the rim can make them balance differently.

OP
OP
nik_the_titan

nik_the_titan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ecoboost Mustang
Does this vibration feel like it favors one side or the other?
Tire balance would certainly be the first guess. Following that perhaps a damaged wheel or perhaps a failing wheel bearing. Another possibility might be a faulty tire. I have heard of damaged steel belts on new tires. I've also heard that sometimes breaking the tire loose and rotating it on the rim can make them balance differently.
In my opinion it seems to favor the drivers side a bit more. I’ll go in for another alignment with the road force machine at my dealership. I will confirm nothing is wrong with the wheel bearing tomorrow too. It’s a new Michelin tire so I’m assuming nothing is wrong with it but who knows lol! Thanks for the feedback!

eddiejay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edward
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang
Is it more noticeable while braking? Have you hit your wheels in any way for example like maybe a pothole or curb?

Last edited:
OP
OP
nik_the_titan

nik_the_titan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nik
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ecoboost Mustang
Is it more noticeable while braking? Have you hit your wheels in any way for example like maybe a pothole or curb?
Nope it’s just at around that 51-55 mph. And nope… car was somewhat sitting for 5 years though… that’s why I changed the tires

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It’s possible that one of the new tires is either not properly balanced with the lead weights or weights may have fallen off (did you check to see on back side of rim barrel if all weights are present)?

it’s also possible that a brand new tire can have shifted steel belts inside the rubber encasement. They should put each wheel back on the balancer and check for any wobble or runout.

Did you check lug nut torque, or if you don’t have the means did you ask them to check?

If the vibe wasn’t there before the new tires, then usually it has something to do with the tires since that would be the only change in the equation, such as the balance of them or manufacturer defect of 1 or more than 1 tire.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Did you check lug nut torque, or if you don’t have the means did you ask them to check?
Hello; This. First thing I do after a shop mounts wheels is to loosen the lug nuts at home and torque them myself. I even just loaded the wheels in my pickup bed last time I need tires for my car to avoid the shop air tool over torque and lack of proper sequence when torquing.

Another thing to do if you have a square set of tires is to rotate from front to back axels. I the vibration changes that will be a clue.

Last notion is something I read many years ago. Seems radial tires back then had a natural harmonic vibration around 50 mph. Not read much about it lately so new tires may have the issue solved. Seemed tires were smooth up to a point, then some mild vibration for a small speed range and smoothed out again. If you changed brands or some such may be part of the nature of the tire.
Sponsored