Sponsored

hardr3set

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a 2016 Mustang GT with an x pipe delete and roush mufflers. Previous owner did that. I’ve had issues going 65-80mph and up I have shaking in the pedal and in the wheel as well as car itself. Engine sometimes stalls when in neutral at red lights as well. Sometimes have issues with idle. Not sure what to do here. Had a place try to diagnose and they assumed cam timing or dual mass flywheel. Haven’t gone anywhere else yet and was hoping someone could help me out! Has anyone else had this or experienced this? On inspection drive shaft and rear dif are good.
Sponsored

OP
OP

hardr3set

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does anyone have any ideas at all?? The idle problems don’t always cause stall but the rpm’s go crazy for a second. The car has not thrown any codes since it’s been bought in 2022.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
You're going to have to get some kind of data/logs.

Otherwise, everyone is just guessing.

Could be any number of things. Strange it would stall and not throw a code, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP

hardr3set

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
He said when it goes into a stall crank and cam readings go into negative and then engine then stalls but when it’s running before that there are no signs of a problem, only when it’s about to stall.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
You're going to have to get some kind of data/logs.

Otherwise, everyone is just guessing.

Could be any number of things. Strange it would stall and not throw a code, though.
That's what I thought too. Running rough and shaking would indicate to me a misfire but that should throw a code - or several.
Op, have you had a good scan tool on it? If you could capture some live data when it's running poorly it might go a long way to helping you.
Otherwise, yeah, lots of things to guess at.

OP
OP

hardr3set

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's what I thought too. Running rough and shaking would indicate to me a misfire but that should throw a code - or several.
Op, have you had a good scan tool on it? If you could capture some live data when it's running poorly it might go a long way to helping you.
Otherwise, yeah, lots of things to guess at.
Yeah I don’t have the data but I was watching it. Everything is normal except random drops for literally 1 second and then engine would shut off. It does this at random. I can try to get more data in the future but he told me I should go on a thread like this and with the given information someone might be able to help. I’ve already done stuff like spark plugs, fuel injectors, 02 sensors. The shaking and vibrating is only on the highway when going at speed and never occurs at low speeds. That could be unrelated I guess but I was told dual mass fly wheel potentially or incorrect cam timing but was wondering if anyone’s heard of similar issues or might have some insight with the symptoms and I know there could be a lot of things causing it. Crank and can correlation for a split second was the only thing replicated they could see. It never threw a code though.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I don’t have the data but I was watching it. Everything is normal except random drops for literally 1 second and then engine would shut off. It does this at random. I can try to get more data in the future but he told me I should go on a thread like this and with the given information someone might be able to help. I’ve already done stuff like spark plugs, fuel injectors, 02 sensors. The shaking and vibrating is only on the highway when going at speed and never occurs at low speeds. That could be unrelated I guess but I was told dual mass fly wheel potentially or incorrect cam timing but was wondering if anyone’s heard of similar issues or might have some insight with the symptoms and I know there could be a lot of things causing it. Crank and can correlation for a split second was the only thing replicated they could see. It never threw a code though.
Is the issue related to wheel speed or engine speed?

OP
OP

hardr3set

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The shaking is related to wheel speed I guess and the stalling just happened in neutral and is not dependent on anything

Sponsored

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The shaking is related to wheel speed I guess and the stalling just happened in neutral and is not dependent on anything
So the shaking is the same at, say, 55mph in 5th gear, 6th gear, neutral, etc?

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What gas are you using? Are you sure there is no tune? I would always check these two things first before literally anything else the minute I hear the words "previous owner installed *x-y-z-parts*".

OP
OP

hardr3set

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So the shaking is the same at, say, 55mph in 5th gear, 6th gear, neutral, etc?
Doesn’t matter what gear but it’s considerably worse in 6th gear. The car does not have a tune. I’m running regular 87 because premium is too damn expensive now.

Therealmattlex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I'm just guessing but you may have 2 separate issues. From what you described it sounds like a rotation vibration at the higher speeds but it's possible it could be a miss fire of some sort and it's just more noticeable with a larger load in higher gears.

As for the stalling my f150 would randomly stall at stoplights. It never through a code and drove fine other than that. I couldn't get any info from my scanner because it would happen so quick. I ended up replacing the VCT solenoids with new FRPP ones and I haven't had an issue since.

It's always hard trying to diagnose and fix cars when they're having random weird issues. I always recommend fixing any and all know problems before diagnosing new problems. An example is the battery in my buddy's silverado would drain down if it sat for more then 24 hours. It then started throwing codes for a ignition issue and security issue. When I googled the codes I was able to find a TSB relating to moisture in the headlights. Sure enough his problem started 2 days after he hit a pheasant and cracked a headlight.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t matter what gear but it’s considerably worse in 6th gear. The car does not have a tune. I’m running regular 87 because premium is too damn expensive now.
Im with TheRealMattLex, sounds like you have a couple of things going on.

If the vibration is worse when changing gear, there is an issue tied to your engine speed or possibly transmission.

That said, you may well have a misfire and small vacuum leak along with something simple like an unbalanced wheel. When multiple failures/weaknesses are put together it sometimes makes it hard to diagnose. Occam's Razor and such.

Misfire at lower engine speed is going to be more noticeable.

The car needs to be gone through by someone with a solid knowledge base and some data points need to be collected.

If you're getting wonky cam/crank readings I would suspect the VVT solenoids and possibly cam phasers.

Fwiw, I had a new fiesta that would sometimes stall at red lights after filling up with fuel. I didn't have the car long and never bothered getting it fixed, but the dealer stated it was very likely an evap issue.

How is the vibration in neutral at highway speed vs 6th?
Sponsored