Vacuum gauge at WOT

ponyboy0123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
So I’ve been made aware that when you’re WOT the vaccum gauge should read 0. I’ve never really paid attention to that gauge but decided to look at it today and noticed that when I’m WOT it’s reading between 1-2inhg, never saw it reach zero though. Does this indicate a possible vacuum leak or is this within normal operation?
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
The vacuum gauge isn't accurate, and is not actually measuring manifold vacuum. The data is inferred by the PCM from other inputs such as throttle position, RPM, load, etc. It is also effected by altitude.

Check your Fuel trims if you want to look for a vacuum leak

OP
OP
ponyboy0123

ponyboy0123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
The vacuum gauge isn't accurate, and is not actually measuring manifold vacuum. The data is inferred by the PCM from other inputs such as throttle position, RPM, load, etc. It is also effected by altitude.

Check your Fuel trims if you want to look for a vacuum leak
Appreciate the response, I don’t believe there’s a leak or anything else hindering performance. Cars running great I just didn’t know if there was possibly some power being left on the table considering it wasn’t reaching zero. Makes sense though.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Yeah, it really is a dumb thing to have. I'd much rather have Oil temperature

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Theoretically the entire intake tract is in a vacuum or negative gauge pressure since there’s dynamic frictional losses through all the intake components even at WOT. So if it doesn’t reach zero that would be normal. It will always be below atmospheric pressure until downstream of combustion where it is obviously positive pressure.

OP
OP
ponyboy0123

ponyboy0123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
Theoretically the entire intake tract is in a vacuum or negative gauge pressure since there’s dynamic frictional losses through all the intake components even at WOT. So if it doesn’t reach zero that would be normal. It will always be below atmospheric pressure until downstream of combustion where it is obviously positive pressure.
Man thank goodness for people like you who know what they’re talking about hahaha. This makes sense, I appreciate the explanation, I assumed there were multiple factors that went into it but wanted to be sure.
Sponsored