Sponsored

Using rear rim on front?

jsalvane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack

i put a pretty solid dent into my front rim hitting a pothole so the front tire and rim needs to be replaced.
The front runs 19x9 rims with 255/40 tires, while the rear is 19x9.5 with 275/40 tires.
I happen to have an extra rear rim from when I bought a set of winter tires on Craigslist. Does anyone have any experience with running a different size wheel but same size tires? Or know the effects? If it needs to be replaced then so be it, just wanted to check here because I can only seem to dig up info on running different size tires on same axle. Which I obviously no is a no-go. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You cant mix one different wheel on a corner side to side and expect OEM Mustang handling. If you are in Russia and want to make a car crash video or clip a curb at speed... go for it.

Assuming you bought two :

Rim offset is different front to rear.
Steering behavior would get hurt if the wheel would even fit.
putting a 255 on a 9.5 would preload the sidewall and mismatch handling response front to rear increasing oversteer (wider rears are for decreasing oversteer).

Basically, you are going to ruin the PP setup handling.

Since you need to buy another wheel either way, maybe save yourself the stress and get the correct front wheel ordered from Levittown or WBL.

OP
OP

jsalvane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You cant mix one different wheel on a corner side to side and expect OEM Mustang handling. If you are in Russia and want to make a car crash video or clip a curb at speed... go for it.

Assuming you bought two :

Rim offset is different front to rear.
Steering behavior would get hurt if the wheel would even fit.
putting a 255 on a 9.5 would preload the sidewall and mismatch handling response front to rear increasing oversteer (wider rears are for decreasing oversteer).

Basically, you are going to ruin the PP setup handling.

Since you need to buy another wheel either way, maybe save yourself the stress and get the correct front wheel ordered from Levittown or WBL.
That was my initial thought but wanted to make sure I wasnt being overly cautious. Thank you for the explanation.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You can run a PP1 rear wheel on the front (but the rear 9.5 wheels will require a 5mm spacer to clear).

You'd want to keep both front wheels the same tho, you'd need to buy another 9.5" wheel for the other side.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering what PP1 rears (with the 275’s) would look like on the front with a 5mm spacer - have you ever seen any pictures ? :like:

WD :like:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering what PP1 rears (with the 275’s) would look like on the front with a 5mm spacer - have you ever seen any pictures ?
it's been done over and over and over and over. Just look.
Sponsored