Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Some automotive trivia for you all...

During the development of the Jaguar XFR, the engineers working on the project unofficially codenamed it "Weapon of Choice"

The distinctive and traditional black rear pillars on Range Rovers all stems from a quick repair on the 1970 model. Shortly before it went on sale, someone noticed that the aluminium pillars looks rippled, and rubbish as a result. Since the rippled effect couldn't be removed from the pillars, the engineers simply covered them with black vinyl, accidentally giving birth to a design feature that remains on the Range Rover today.

Back when Vauxhall designed its own cars from scratch. It had a styling studio in Luton with an outside yard so that the designs could be seen under natural light. However, a block of apartments was then built overlooking the yard. Realising that the upper-floor residents would see into the top-secret yard, Vauxhall simply bought every apartment overlooking the studio, and left them empty. Years later, the Luton design centre closed, and Vauxhall sold the apartments for a tidy profit.

Peugeot may be best known for its cars and (to some extent) bicycles, but the company has owned a range of businesses over the years, including a kitchen appliance company that released a food processor in the 1960s called the Peugimix

During the 2002 United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis, Pedro De La Rosa broke down on the far side of the track. He got out of his stricken car, and jumped over a low wall without checking what was on the other side. As it turns out, itt was a river.

The Edsel was a complete disaster for Ford, and they resorted to some pretty desperate plans to salvage some credibility. One such plan was to give every Edsel dealer a live pony. In theory, this was a great idea. Kids would pester their parents to go and see the pony, while the salesman could convince the parents that they really should buy an Edsel while they were there. There were, however, a few little problems with this plan. Firstly, your average car dealership isn't really equipped to deal with a horse. Secondly, would you really want to buy a brand new car from a place that stank of horse excrement? And finally, what were they going to do with hundreds of unwanted ponies when the promotion ended? My guess is that they may not have needed some glue for a while...

The Porsche 924 was designed by Porsche on behalf of Volkswagen. However, VW got cold feet about selling their own sports car, so in the end Porsche took it back and slapped their own badge on the front.

When the McLaren F1 was set to undertake its mandatory 30mph crash test against a concrete block, designer Gordon Murray was so confident of the car's strength that he asked if he could sit in the driver's seat during the test. He was told he couldn't but the testers were surprised at how well the car held up. In fact, apart from the headlights and indicators getting smashed, Murray could have happily driven the car home afterwards.

Porsche isn't just a sports car manufacturer. They have a successful engineering consultancy that helps design and develop cars for other companies including Lada and Kia

Back in the day when Saab didn't just make tarted-up Vauxhalls, their exterior door handles were made strong enough that you could tie a rope around them and pull the whole car out of a ditch, which would have been useful on the slippery roads of Sweden.

One of Fiat's least successful cars in the UK was called the Argenta. Why did it fail? Well, it was released right around the time of the Falklands War, when Britain was at war with....Argentina. Oops

The four-wheel drive system on the Fiat Panda 4X4 was developed by Saab
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
A couple more auto trivia nuggets. @Tin O' Spam mentioned the Land Rover approach to roof imperfections. A similar thing happened with the US automakers. Remember when vinyl roofs and landau roofs were all the rage? They started as a way of covering up imperfect roof welds.

One of my engineers was headed to Stuttgart for Engine Expo one year. He boarded the plane along with a Ford engineer who was carrying a Ford Fox engine block in a carry on bag (1.0L 3-cylinder). It was apparently a staged stunt. TSA was not amused. That engine won World Engine of the Year that year and a few more.

For the first few years of its existence, Saturn actually turned an unexpected profit. Something unheard of in the high capital cost auto industry. How did they do this? By contract farming the land around the Spring Hill, Tennessee plant.

GM had plans to put dry dual clutch transmissions in every car / CUV from Cruze / Equinox on down, globally. Plants were designated in the US, Europe (Opel) and China. Then GM Benchmarking got hold of a Focus with dry DCT and tested it at Milford Proving Grounds (I watched one of the tests...scary). They IMMEDIATELY pumped the brakes HARD on that plan and flushed all the investment and went back to 6AT.

The C6 ZR1 was developed under the code name “Blue Devil”. This was during hard financial times leading up to the financial crisis. Vehicle programs were being slashed like drunken hookers. There was concern that not only would the ZR1 program be scrapped, but maybe Corvette in total. So the ZR1 was named Blue Devil. The Corvette Team was hedging their bets that CEO Rick Wagoner, a former Duke Blue Devil basketball player, would never kill a program named after his beloved alma mater and team. History says they may have had a point.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like Porsche, BMW also has a design house for non-automotive products. Their most successful product? The Music Man Bongo bass guitar. I used to own one. Look weird as hell (think “toilet seat”) but play and sound awesome.

The blue bass is a Music Man Bongo. The others are more traditional looking Music Man basses that I own.
2A4D9A3F-EFE8-471C-8791-050EB9B65D24.jpeg
027D16E6-FD9D-4793-AD33-FD64F7C34C24.jpeg

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the original Volt Concept Car
A95374E9-E58E-4004-A683-29110B7FF1A9.jpeg

When the decision was made to consider for production, the Concept Car was but in the wind tunnel to measure aero. When they viewed the results, they were so bad that some thought the wind tunnel techs had pulled a prank and but the car in the tunnel backwards. The car was run again and it turned out that the aero was better when the car was placed in backwards. One of the many reasons why the car that made it to production looked nothing like the concept.

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
54d449b0d974f336b1e9a0b325eca28c01fab5f1.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Wembley Stadium has 2,618 toilets.
wembleystadium2504q.jpg

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
1d8edd85d0de9bac27b9e6c8b1b3337ff791c606.jpg

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
tumblr_opkcpwhzBZ1rhpn4yo1_540.jpg

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
A similar thing happened with the US automakers. Remember when vinyl roofs and landau roofs were all the rage? They started as a way of covering up imperfect roof welds.
I was told by my grandmother (Decades ago) that my grandpa was the one that came up with the idea for Chrysler. He was a typical-for-the-era uneducated farm boy (Quit school in middle school to help his family farm) that was attracted to automotive manufacturing to help his family. (I say that being honest, I loved the guy). Apparently he was working on the line one day and something damaged the roof of one of the cars, I don't know what it was, but the foreman brought down the engineer and they were trying to figure out what to do to fix it. My grandpa said "Why don't you just cover it up with a convertible top?". The engineer left, and came back at a later time. He asked my grandpa "What do you want?" He was confused, and the engineer told him that it was a great idea, saved the company a lot of money etc. "I just want to keep my job" is what he said.

Years later a foreman came over to give him his papers (Laid off). Somehow, someone from corporate found out about his request from years before, and told the foreman "You can't touch that guy" and they let him keep his job until he voluntarily retired.

I have no way to know for sure if it's a BS story, but "Grandpa Bob" wasn't one to make stuff up.

OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
077d896539a73e27405cb0639c4331ff272c2717.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
lacanteen

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
tumblr_oq1w3i84N31tlb56zo1_500.gif

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
The Shrike, also known as a butcher-bird, will often impale small rodents upon thorns or barbs in order to secure its prey for feasting. The “Shrike” was also the large metal-bladed menace in Dan Simmons’ dark science fantasy novel series, Hyperion...
475E8D18-CB4B-4BFC-98B3-A16E6FAF37C4.jpeg
67B7B782-6DE5-43FD-9F4E-6D8B64FF60CF.gif

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
"Yoda and Miss Piggy were both voiced by the same person."

"Arnold Schwarzenegger was the first civilian to own a Hummer."

"Otters often have a favorite rock. They store it under their arm in a little pouch when not in use."

"Gruntled (the opposite of disgruntled) means pleased, satisfied, and contented."

"The guy who sang 'You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch' is also the original voice of Tony the Tiger in Frosted Flakes commercials."