Sponsored

used GT / GT premium prices

jsowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking
Greetings all. New to the forums and looking at used GTs / GTs premium. I am undecided on the premium vs base, but want a manual w/no additional options. Initially, I wanted to go used to avoid a bit of the depreciation hit. However, I am getting quotes back that are more than I can get a new vehicle for at Koons (27.1 and 30.6 for the GT and GT premium). I bring this up and folks aren't budging on used price. For those that have shopped the used market, what have been your experiences. Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Greetings all. New to the forums and looking at used GTs / GTs premium. I am undecided on the premium vs base, but want a manual w/no additional options. Initially, I wanted to go used to avoid a bit of the depreciation hit. However, I am getting quotes back that are more than I can get a new vehicle for at Koons (27.1 and 30.6 for the GT and GT premium). I bring this up and folks aren't budging on used price. For those that have shopped the used market, what have been your experiences. Thanks in advance for the help.
1: Finding a used base-no options GT is going to be hard for you...if a dealer DOES order a base car manual GT car it will likely have the PP on it.

2: Used cars are where dealers make their money. They lowball the customer on trade and then don't offer it for much below MSRP with more than 30,000+ miles.

Example:

I traded my 2010 Challenger R/T base auto car in with 43,000 miles. MSRP on it was $31,585. They gave me $18,000 for it (originally lowballed at $15,000!). They did the usual "reconditioning" and put it on the lot for $28,500..or only about $3,000 below MSRP with miles that put it beyond the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper.

I forget where the post was...but someone said the average commission on a new car is around $100, a used car is nearly $1,000...a dealer might make about $2,000 on a new car but could make $8,000 on a used...that's why they're unwilling to budge.

How else do you explain 2011 Mustang GT auto's with asking prices of $25,000 with 40,000 miles and being 5 years old?

OP
OP

jsowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking
Thanks for the response. I totally understand the dealer angle, just surprised that people pay more for a used car than a new one. I guess the market supports it, just somewhat surprising.

UglyMutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I have seen cars with similar options to my car with 12,000 miles on them for about $4,000 less than what I paid for my car new. To me, ordering my car and getting exactly what I wanted brand new was for sure worth that 4k. Also, new loans are cheaper than used loans in most cases. You may find that a used car for $30,000 @ 4.5% is more expensive than a new car for $35,000 at 3% for the same term. Im not sure where that line is but run the numbers and see how much you really save buying used after incentives and discounts on new.

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Magnetic
Also keep in mind people don't buy mustangs to get groceries. These cars beg to be driven hard and not everyone is easy on the transmission or engine. Buying used is fine for a Honda but I wouldn't recommend it for a high performance muscle car. Just my opinion and experience...

Sponsored

Jackie Chan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Corvette ZR1
1: Finding a used base-no options GT is going to be hard for you...if a dealer DOES order a base car manual GT car it will likely have the PP on it.

2: Used cars are where dealers make their money. They lowball the customer on trade and then don't offer it for much below MSRP with more than 30,000+ miles.

Example:

I traded my 2010 Challenger R/T base auto car in with 43,000 miles. MSRP on it was $31,585. They gave me $18,000 for it (originally lowballed at $15,000!). They did the usual "reconditioning" and put it on the lot for $28,500..or only about $3,000 below MSRP with miles that put it beyond the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper.

I forget where the post was...but someone said the average commission on a new car is around $100, a used car is nearly $1,000...a dealer might make about $2,000 on a new car but could make $8,000 on a used...that's why they're unwilling to budge.

How else do you explain 2011 Mustang GT auto's with asking prices of $25,000 with 40,000 miles and being 5 years old?
your averages are pretty far off.

danttt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
335i bmw
I have been shopping used too.. It's a joke some of these asking prices. I might just get a new one too at this point.. The issue is all the dealers in so cal just suck and ask some stupid prices and no real discounts.. It's just frustrating

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I looked at a 2015 GTPP Base car with 2500 miles. The dealership had it priced originally at 35k, but internet priced at 30. I went in and offered 27k. Manager came back without moving, but offered free car washes for the life of the car. OTD price would have been 33k.

I told the sales guy that I had a written deal for a brand new one from Koons for 35k including 1400 in neg equity and 1300 for new tires. He laughed, looked at me, shook my hand and said "go get that car". I left and made the deal with Koons.

Used prices suck. Big time.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
In my corner of the planet, there aren't any used '15s to be had anywhere. Also, I wanted a Base GT with no options but the only cars sitting on lots were Premium/PP cars and not a single one in blue.

Wound up ordering from a dealer in Maple Ridge, BC (the only dealer who actually treated me like a human being) and wound up giving me $2k off the MSRP for a Base GT in Deep Impact Blue.

I'd rather pay the money and get the car I want as opposed to paying more for a car I don't.

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Pricing on used S550 Mustangs makes absolutely no sense to me.

Originally, my plan was to buy a used 15 GT under 10k miles. However, when comparing the price of a new 16 in the same trim/package, the new ones are cheaper! Now buying privately would be significantly cheaper, but there are maybe one or two for sale on the big car classified sites that are within my area...and again, asking price is still way above new.

Then when it comes to color (Magnetic) with Perf. Pack...forget it!! None to be had for sale in this region.

Not planning on buying until mid-June, so I suppose anything can happen. But it's a new concept to me to pay more used than new.

And just when I thought I was starting to understand S550 pricing....the price on the new ones shot up on the 1st! The Base GT in Magnetic w/ PP I was eyeing at Koons went from $29.3k to $30.1k...so there's that... :shrug:

-Emt1581

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Yeah end of the month pricing worked to my advantage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Vanquisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
I got mine used. 340 Miles. '15 GT Premium w/ PP, Shaker Audio System, equip 401A, and few odds and ends like rear sensing system, wheel locks, etc. and it was certified so I got the additional warranty. 7/100k engine/powertrain and the additional 1/12k ontop of factory bumper to bumper. Believe it was 45k sticker and I got for 34.5. End of month and year deal.

OP
OP

jsowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking
Glad (I guess) to see other people are in the same boat. I was able to find one or two that got in the neighborhood of what I could get one new for at Koons, but with looking at a 1k price difference, I may as well go new.
Ideally I would like to buy local, but when I started shopping the Koon's price around (27.1 car, 28999 OTD), no one can even come close; like thousands apart.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Glad (I guess) to see other people are in the same boat. I was able to find one or two that got in the neighborhood of what I could get one new for at Koons, but with looking at a 1k price difference, I may as well go new.
Ideally I would like to buy local, but when I started shopping the Koon's price around (27.1 car, 28999 OTD), no one can even come close; like thousands apart.
When I told the salesman the deal I was working on for a new one through Koons, he laughed shook my hand and said " you better go get that car".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Godspeed302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP
I've been shopping for a used GT as well. Traded in my '13 GT Premium and bought a '15 V6 last summer with the deal of all deals. While I love the car for what it is, I really miss the guts and exhaust note of the 5.0. I've seen some used base GT cars go around $25k, and even a premium GT go for $25k on ebay. (Still believe it was a scam though) I'm hoping to find a base GT deal in the $22-23k range, but I'm probly going to have to wait a while. Give it till March, Mustang sales are rough through the winter and some cars that have been sitting will be good pickings.
Sponsored