Used 2016 GT350, yay or nay?

PiZauL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2013 Prius
Hello all! New member here. I’ve done as much research as I can on these cars and each individual year, and with the crazy market a 2016 is all that fits in my budget. I considered waiting to see how all this plays out, but it’s possible with the low inventory of these floating around now and 2020 being the last production year, folks may hold onto their cars and used market price will remain high. I’ve worked with a ford dealer on a one owner excellent condition 2016 gt350 tech with 13k on the clock, $49k out the door with a 5yr/48k basecare warranty. Kind of wild paying this much for a 4yr old car, but it is what it is.

I do not plan to track it and it will be a pleasure vehicle (2k-4k miles a year). Is this a reasonable deal? Should I flip the coin and wait out the market and see if these prices come back down to reality or jump on this? I should note I haven’t even sat or drove one yet as there are non available within a reasonable distance, but I doubt I will hate it..lol. I currently own a 2015 M3, I realize I’ll likely downgrade the interior build quality, but everything else (that voodoo) a gt350 offers will make up for that i’d imagine.
Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all! New member here. I’ve done as much research as I can on these cars and each individual year, and with the crazy market a 2016 is all that fits in my budget. I considered waiting to see how all this plays out, but it’s possible with the low inventory of these floating around now and 2020 being the last production year, folks may hold onto their cars and used market price will remain high. I’ve worked with a ford dealer on a one owner excellent condition 2016 gt350 tech with 13k on the clock, $49k out the door with a 5yr/48k basecare warranty. Kind of wild paying this much for a 4yr old car, but it is what it is.

I do not plan to track it and it will be a pleasure vehicle (2k-4k miles a year). Is this a reasonable deal? Should I flip the coin and wait out the market and see if these prices come back down to reality or jump on this? I should note I haven’t even sat or drove one yet as there are non available within a reasonable distance, but I doubt I will hate it..lol. I currently own a 2015 M3, I realize I’ll likely downgrade the interior build quality, but everything else (that voodoo) a gt350 offers will make up for that i’d imagine.
Prices for sure seem to be going up. I personally stayed away from 16's due to it being either/or track or tech. You may be able to find some history on this car from this forum.

With that said, you can probably find a better deal buying a car from someone affiliated with this forum. Is there something other than availability that makes you want that particular car?

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
I agree with 526 HSE. I would also drive one before making a decision as you note some attributes may be a 'downgrade'. I would not purchase a vehicle based on what you read alone. I seem to regularly be impressed by what I read and I am disappointed by my own seat time. The best gauge to determine a car purchase is your butt. Perhaps a forum member in your area will offer a look see for you. I do not think a dealer test drive is ideal in this case as emotions tend to override our rationale.

OP
OP
PiZauL

PiZauL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2013 Prius
Prices for sure seem to be going up. I personally stayed away from 16's due to it being either/or track or tech. You may be able to find some history on this car from this forum.

With that said, you can probably find a better deal buying a car from someone affiliated with this forum. Is there something other than availability that makes you want that particular car?
From what I’ve read, it’s deemed for the most part the 2016’s are as solid as rest of the years depending on use. I’d think many are turned off on the 2016’s due to having to make a choice between tech and track and not being able to have both. Personally between those two options I rather have tech since I don’t plan on tracking the car and rather have the gadgets anyway. If it came to it, I’d add the coolers.

I’ve considered the private route. However a warranty and ability to trade in and finance (better rates available when buying through dealer) is a huge plus as I don’t want to dump all of my side savings. And this is a minor, but for me the standard cooled/heated seats vs the recaro’s are a must. Most 2017+ years I’ve looked at have recaro’s.

OP
OP
PiZauL

PiZauL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2013 Prius
I agree with 526 HSE. I would also drive one before making a decision as you note some attributes may be a 'downgrade'. I would not purchase a vehicle based on what you read alone. I seem to regularly be impressed by what I read and I am disappointed by my own seat time. The best gauge to determine a car purchase is your butt. Perhaps a forum member in your area will offer a look see for you. I do not think a dealer test drive is ideal in this case as emotions tend to override our rationale.
Yeah that is true. Hey if anyone is willing, I am in Bel Air/Forest Hill MD area and do frequent cars and coffee (HVH) frequently. Otherwise I’m hoping one pops up a bit closer to me to check out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tom14ct14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
One thing to consider is if you can get lower mileage and you do not put on a ton of miles a year you will be able buy a lower mileage extended warranty. I have mine listed for sale but if I end up keeping mine, I will probably be able to get the 8 year 36k mile for around $1800 vs as you go up in miles and the cost goes up fast.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
2016 gt350 tech with 13k on the clock, $49k out the door with a 5yr/48k basecare warranty
ick. Laurel Ford sold a 2018 ruby with 800 miles (yes under 1000) for 48k late last year. There may be some gyrations in the market for a while so unless you gotta have it now, I'd wait. And it's not like you're going to use the car for what it's made to do so...

I haven’t even sat or drove one yet as there are non available within a reasonable distance
Huh? Did you even look?
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...RE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2303

For the lousy price of the car you're looking at go buy this instead. It's down the street from me. Headed over to take a gander at it.
https://www.autobuyingservice.com/u...Shelby-GT350-fairfax-virginia-22031/vd/263707

Have you not driven a well-sorted Coyote3 either?
If you want to test drive one, CarMax is a good bet.

Last edited:

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
From what I’ve read, it’s deemed for the most part the 2016’s are as solid as rest of the years depending on use. I’d think many are turned off on the 2016’s due to having to make a choice between tech and track and not being able to have both. Personally between those two options I rather have tech since I don’t plan on tracking the car and rather have the gadgets anyway. If it came to it, I’d add the coolers.

I’ve considered the private route. However a warranty and ability to trade in and finance (better rates available when buying through dealer) is a huge plus as I don’t want to dump all of my side savings. And this is a minor, but for me the standard cooled/heated seats vs the recaro’s are a must. Most 2017+ years I’ve looked at have recaro’s.
Yes, it's true that people don't want to make that choice, that is why i went with a 17. Heated/Cooled seats were a must for me as well.

I think if you love your choice, get the car. Ignore the buyers remorse that may set in immediately afterwards and give the car a chance. I only looked at and drove one 350 before i drove 2 hours to buy mine. I jumped because of the color. If color isn't a deal breaker for you, more options will come your way.

If you go 18 you'll have some factory warranty left and be able to extend through Ford.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
One thing to consider is if you can get lower mileage and you do not put on a ton of miles a year you will be able buy a lower mileage extended warranty. I have mine listed for sale but if I end up keeping mine, I will probably be able to get the 8 year 36k mile for around $1800 vs as you go up in miles and the cost goes up fast.
Just so you're not hijacking his thread, i'll ask. What are you selling yours for? Link?

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
What is the price of the car before taxes, fees, etc? I think people here see $49K but may not realize that $3-5K of that could be taxes, fees, extra warranty, etc.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PiZauL

PiZauL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2013 Prius
So the one I am looking at they are throwing in a 5yr/48k wrranty for $2,377. I've never reallyt purchased an extended warranty for any of my vehicles so not sure whats reasonable/unreasonable. All I know if the motor blows up, warranty pays off! Lol.

ick. Laurel Ford sold a 2018 ruby with 800 miles (yes under 1000) for 48k late last year. There may be some gyrations in the market for a while so unless you gotta have it now, I'd wait. And it's not like you're going to use the car for what it's made to do so...

Huh? Did you even look?
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...RE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2303

For the lousy price of the car you're looking at go buy this instead. It's down the street from me. Headed over to take a gander at it.
https://www.autobuyingservice.com/u...Shelby-GT350-fairfax-virginia-22031/vd/263707

Have you not driven a well-sorted Coyote3 either?
If you want to test drive one, CarMax is a good bet.
Oh I been looking everyday, I was hoping one would pop up more locally for a test drive (local Ford dealers in my area within 20 miles). Keep in mind the 49k "deal" is out the door with warranty, fee's and 6% MD tax. I've seen the red one you linked, they are asking more than the one I am looking at now. The mileage is attractive, but 2 owners in that short time is interesting. I've seen that 2018 as well, but it has an accident reported so I'm steering clear of those. I haven't jumped into a Coyote3, probably not a bad idea to get a feel.

Yes, it's true that people don't want to make that choice, that is why i went with a 17. Heated/Cooled seats were a must for me as well.

I think if you love your choice, get the car. Ignore the buyers remorse that may set in immediately afterwards and give the car a chance. I only looked at and drove one 350 before i drove 2 hours to buy mine. I jumped because of the color. If color isn't a deal breaker for you, more options will come your way.

If you go 18 you'll have some factory warranty left and be able to extend through Ford.
Yeah I am flexible with colors, so that is in my favor for sure!

What is the price of the car before taxes, fees, etc? I think people here see $49K but may not realize that $3-5K of that could be taxes, fees, extra warranty, etc.
Good point, I think some not considering I said out the door. It's listed at $45k but they have offered it for $44k when I started talks. Which is honestly the cheapest I've seen with this mileage as of late. Then we add the fee's, taxes, and warranty that make it $49k.

2016 the most solid reliable MY of any, I'm biased tho
I have heard that from many other 2016 folk! So its alway's reassuring.

Last edited:

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I have a '16 GT350 Track Pack and love it. Great car. Bought the Track Pack as I wanted to track the car and have the Recaros. Didn't want the extra junk with the Tech Pack.
As a side comment, adding the coolers is not as easy as you might think. All 2017's and newer have the coolers. They are a must for any track action.
Overall: Appears to me you have done your homework and have a good plan. Enjoy the car!

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
The car seems like it still has the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty left. What is in the base care that's not covered by the powertrain? It starts from the date of original purchase, not when you purchase it, so either way it all ends in 2021 or earlier.
You'll want the 8yr which will give you 3-4 years depending on when that 2016 was originally purchased.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
So the one I am looking at they are throwing in a 5yr/48k wrranty for $2,377.
How does one “throw in” a warranty when it costs $2.377.00? I’m scratching my head on that one.
Sponsored