Sponsored

Used 2016 GT 350 vs 2019 GT

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I can't comment on the Magneride but tires for the 18" wheels are less expensive, and easier to get, which might make a difference if you find yourself at Discount Tires with a bad tire, asking what they have in stock. And you can carry a spare, albeit a mini-spare. If I was buying today (for daily driver), I'd lean toward the A10, Active Exhaust, and Adaptive Cruise Control. I don't like the default '19 GT wheels so I would opt for the 18-Inch Machined-Face Aluminum for $295.
Sponsored

actionjack99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ferrari 308 QV, 2016 GT350
if you want a daily driver then get the gt but if you want a special car that can be driven everyday get the gt350.

how many special gt mustangs are there compared to shelby's.

as a side note i don't even consider non shelby america cars to be shelby's but that's another discussion.

i personally got out of a 2016 gt350 tech pac into an i8 and was going to pull the trigger on a huracan but i missed rowing the gears on a v8 american muscle car with twitchy suspension and steering.

mho

edited to add i'm in a 2018 gt350 with recaro's.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Asking a GT350 vs GT question in this section. Is like going to camaro6 and asking if you should get a mustang or camaro. :facepalm:what did you think the replies were gonna be?

OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
Asking a GT350 vs GT question in this section. Is like going to camaro6 and asking if you should get a mustang or camaro. :facepalm:what did you think the replies were gonna be?
Well, you all would be more informed of what the obstacles would be to daily drive a GT350 than anyone else, huh? That was the idea.

The GT350 is an exceptional vehicle. I'm frankly shocked at the examples I'm seeing with like less than 4k miles on them out there in the same price range as a GT, but the GT's current price is not much less if even than what these were MSRP back in '16 too I suppose. It actually makes me wonder if there is something up. Carmax even has what appears to me to be an unusual number of them.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone would chime in with anything I wasn't considering in terms of maintenance, etc. Like, this is a 'race engine' that requires some bizarre service that I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I appreciate the breakdown on consumables Grabber. I think the problem is that as a daily driver you can't run 'summer only' tires. At least not where I live. We have months where it might not get over 45 degrees in the day time. I'm only looking at Tire Rack for examples, but I don't see ANY all season tires that fit the GT 350 rims and only 2 choices of 'summer only' tires. You would have to go with 20" rims for starters if you wanted to daily drive the GT 350 is my guess. At least for your winter setup.

I was also curious if there were any special maintenance concerns with the GT 350. I am probably going with the the 2019 GT though. I'm not sure why I'm going against my better judgement with the evidence of engine problems. I have to be out of my mind. I'm hoping the stories heard on the internet are not the complete picture or blown out of proportion by those who find their way onto the internet vs those who have perfectly running vehicles.

As for 'break in' - I'm looking at return trip options that won't be all interstate cruising. Lots of very scenic roads to enjoy between here and there. The primary concern is to vary the engine speed and keep the revs below something like 4k, huh? It's got a 10 speed auto - why can't I just blip the tranny down a few gears and work it up and down while keeping it below whatever rpm is suggested? I'll be doing plenty of stopping and putting around too. Great excuse to take my time coming back.
SVE makes GT350 and GT350R replica wheels in both 19" and 20", that weigh only 24lbs, for about $800/set. I bought a set of the 19x10 GT350R wheels for my GT and had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ installed on them. The Michelin A/S 3+ are a great alternative and rated one of the best performance all-season tires on the market. You can run these in the cooler months and throw the factory wheels back on in the summer.

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Well, you all would be more informed of what the obstacles would be to daily drive a GT350 than anyone else, huh? That was the idea.

The GT350 is an exceptional vehicle. I'm frankly shocked at the examples I'm seeing with like less than 4k miles on them out there in the same price range as a GT, but the GT's current price is not much less if even than what these were MSRP back in '16 too I suppose. It actually makes me wonder if there is something up. Carmax even has what appears to me to be an unusual number of them. .
If you are referring to 2016 GT350's, than yes you will find more. If it has not already been mentioned, the '16 is the least desirable year.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i would have a hard time paying that much for a GT when the 350 will hold better value...but i would also have a hard time paying for another 350...quite the conundrum

if i could speak to the previous owner for peace of mind i might be able to do the 350, but the low mileage used ones would scare me from a dealer

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
No all season tires fit these? Tire Rack only has two options showing period.
Not sure how you're searching, but there are definitely options for all-season tires for a GT350: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=275/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=19

Or you could go with this, which is a slightly different set-up and what I use on my 2018 GT350: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=285/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=19

I use my GT350 almost as a daily driver, including through winters in CT ... well, one of them so far. Absolutely no issues at all, and a blast to drive.

Used 2016 GT350s can be great buys, especially if you go for one without the track package (as long as you're not going to track it, of course.) As a DD you'd probably want the techno package with the comfy seats. There was a lot of negative publicity for the 2016s because of the tranny-heat issues, of course, but the vast majority of complaints were from drivers who were trying to track GT350s that didn't have the track-package coolers.

As for all the above comments and break-downs and comparisons of costs, parts, wear/tear, etc ... One thing that cannot be compared is the driving experience (and looks). I've owned two GT350s and one GT with PP and they are different worlds. The GT350 is so, so much more fun to drive. If you only want to get from Point A to Point B, it doesn't really matter what car you drive. If you want to get from Point A to Point B with a huge smile plastered on your face, get a GT350.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fastfwd

Fastfwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT 2012 Honda Accord V6 Coupe EX-L Nav
Not sure how you're searching, but there are definitely options for all-season tires for a GT350: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=275/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=19

Or you could go with this, which is a slightly different set-up and what I use on my 2018 GT350: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...9&rearWidth=285/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=19

I use my GT350 almost as a daily driver, including through winters in CT ... well, one of them so far. Absolutely no issues at all, and a blast to drive.

Used 2016 GT350s can be great buys, especially if you go for one without the track package (as long as you're not going to track it, of course.) As a DD you'd probably want the techno package with the comfy seats. There was a lot of negative publicity for the 2016s because of the tranny-heat issues, of course, but the vast majority of complaints were from drivers who were trying to track GT350s that didn't have the track-package coolers.

As for all the above comments and break-downs and comparisons of costs, parts, wear/tear, etc ... One thing that cannot be compared is the driving experience (and looks). I've owned two GT350s and one GT with PP and they are different worlds. The GT350 is so, so much more fun to drive. If you only want to get from Point A to Point B, it doesn't really matter what car you drive. If you want to get from Point A to Point B with a huge smile plastered on your face, get a GT350.
Thank you for your considerate response. Those first tires though, they aren't recommended for rims as wide as the GT350, huh? It's got like 10.5" front and 11" rear? The second set might, but they look sold out currently and those are the only option possibly? This is sort of where it seems to go with these large rims.

I do wish I found an easy solution to the tires problem because there are lots of these 2016s floating around for the same price and many have under 5k miles. Gas mileage is bloody aweful though.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
. A manual doesn't exactly mean that much to me frankly
I think you are right to go with an automatic.

BTW on the snow tires, there are 19 inch aftermarket rims that fit the GT350 and are narrower so that it's relatively easy to find tires. I have some MMD Axims on my car. I'm using the same snow tires that were on my 2011 Mustang GT and 2015 Mustang GT.

Sponsored

swish77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 LB GT350 C-package White Stripes
Thank you for your considerate response. Those first tires though, they aren't recommended for rims as wide as the GT350, huh? It's got like 10.5" front and 11" rear? The second set might, but they look sold out currently and those are the only option possibly? This is sort of where it seems to go with these large rims.

I do wish I found an easy solution to the tires problem because there are lots of these 2016s floating around for the same price and many have under 5k miles. Gas mileage is bloody aweful though.
The second tire configuration is what I have now on my 2018 GT350, and it works great.

As for the gas mileage issue, you're stuck with that on a GT350. This isn't the car for anyone who's worried about gas consumption. That's what Hondas are for.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
10 track days as an instructor hammering the throttle. No issues. Used a quart ou oil. Big deal. Just remember to warm all that oil up before throttle applications beyond 3k rpm. You will never regret buying a GT350. Smile on your face every time.
Sponsored