lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
I can't get the smell figured out.

ESS Supercharger, UPR DV catch can. I had a large odor coming from the check valve on the passenger side. Steve @ UPR replaced it with a high-flow version free. Thanks! But the smell is still there. (I thought it was gone for a day or two, but then it came right back)

I found that I had the valve cover issue that the 2015-2017's had, so I got the GT500 aluminum valve covers and swapped over. This didn't fix it either.

I did soapy water on everything. can't find anything leaking.

Replaced the pretty black 1-piece hose clamps that the catch can comes with with normal hose clamps on the passenger side. No help.

If I put my nose on the hoses themselves that the catch can comes with at any point between the engine and catch can, I can smell the oil odor. (that can't be right right? surely the hoses are thick enough to do the job?) Are these hoses fully rated for fuel/oil? Surely they are....

I'm pulling my hair out here. If I sit at a light for more than 30sec, I get the odor in the car if fresh air circ is turn on.

When the car is parked in the garage, I can smell the oil smell for 2 hours after shutting the car off. (we walk by the car to get to the garage fridge)

I don't know what to do next. None of this existed before installation of the blower+catch can, so something's gotta be up with that.

I had a thought of trying to "seal" the check valve on the passenger side with some sort of bag that was clamped on either side, but I don't know what to use that won't melt. It would just be a test anyway, but I don't want to damage stuff either.
Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Are you venting to atmosphere with the catch can? I believe I have the same setup and my oil fill has a breather on it to vent the pressure and I have no smell that I can tell.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Nope, dual valve catch can. The only exit is from the air filter, and I can't ever smell anything from that area (first place I looked)

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1

Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
I’m running the same exact lines on mine.
So, I have a favor to ask then. Next time you drive it for 10min or more, pop the hood with engine off and get your nose right on either hose on the passenger side and see if you can smell oil. It would be pretty obvious if so.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
My UPR can leaked at the fitting that connected it to the throttle body inlet, one of the reasons I sold it
Thnx for this. That particular part isn't leaking on mine. I've checked it deveral times.

I ordered some evil energy fuel/oil rated line and am going to swap it in. We'll see if it changes.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thnx for this. That particular part isn't leaking on mine. I've checked it deveral times.

I ordered some evil energy fuel/oil rated line and am going to swap it in. We'll see if it changes.
To be fair it was an absolutely tiny leak that I didn't think was really affecting the function, but I noticed it because it looked like my timing cover was leaking at first.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Are you certain you don't have ANY oil seepage or leaks anywhere on the engine? Have you looked under the car really well, like remove the belly pan looking?

I'd replace the hoses that came with the kit if you verify there's absolutely no oil seepage or leaks anywhere on the block from top to bottom.

Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
So, I have a favor to ask then. Next time you drive it for 10min or more, pop the hood with engine off and get your nose right on either hose on the passenger side and see if you can smell oil. It would be pretty obvious if so.
Yes sir will do!

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
Are you certain you don't have ANY oil seepage or leaks anywhere on the engine? Have you looked under the car really well, like remove the belly pan looking?

I'd replace the hoses that came with the kit if you verify there's absolutely no oil seepage or leaks anywhere on the block from top to bottom.
Yep, I've been over the entire thing. Also, none of this was apparent before installing the catch can. I have a hyper-sensitive nose, so I can smell stuff other people can ignore. (really it's a curse)

We'll see what happens when I get the hoses replaced.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
To be fair it was an absolutely tiny leak that I didn't think was really affecting the function, but I noticed it because it looked like my timing cover was leaking at first.
So, I've had mustangs that have leaked oil. (hello fox body!) and they never smelled like this. This is crankcase vapor.

OP
OP

lkeltner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP1
My UPR can leaked at the fitting that connected it to the throttle body inlet, one of the reasons I sold it
did you move to a different brand and had no issues?

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Have you tried reinstalling the factory/ESS PCV hose to see if the smell goes away?
Sponsored