corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I assume magna ride is adaptive? What happens at the track with a radial? Tighten up?
My understanding here is that MR adapts to the signals it receives from the ride height sensors rather than learning about how the driver generally drives.

But there are different algorithms that would apply to specific "drive modes". However, they're going to be calibrated to work best with OE suspension, tire, and wheel fitments.

There's a downloadable user manual from DSC Sport regarding their user-definable control module and maps for this stuff. You'd be developing your own mapping, kind of similar to what shock revalvers do to tweak conventional dampers, except there might be even more things you could do electronically.

Norm
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
From what I've seen, any adaptation of the stock Magneride is pretty small. The ride sensors have some small effect, but mostly w.r.t. damper shaft speed & not so much in terms of position.

The DSC or stock controller has less damping force influence than what you can do with the valving of a passive damper, but the changes it can make can be done in a very targeted manner and in a way which is less detrimental to other confounding scenarios.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
From what I've seen, any adaptation of the stock Magneride is pretty small. The ride sensors have some small effect, but mostly w.r.t. damper shaft speed & not so much in terms of position.
Of course. Damping is still velocity-sensitive, so the controllers must be differentiating position with respect to time.

Norm

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
If I get some time I would love to chime in and share some information. I've been heavily modifying and drag racing IRS equipped vehicles for about 15 years now. I've learned to really like and appreciate what they have to offer.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If I get some time I would love to chime in and share some information. I've been heavily modifying and drag racing IRS equipped vehicles for about 15 years now. I've learned to really like and appreciate what they have to offer.
Come on in!

Always ready to learn something, even if I might not personally benefit much from it.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP
arichmond1003

arichmond1003

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
19’ Mustang GT Kona Blue
Please do!

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Of course. Damping is still velocity-sensitive, so the controllers must be differentiating position with respect to time.

Norm
You're not reading what I wrote. I'm not just parsing words.

Yes, all damping is velocity sensitive, but the point is that the controllers are using it as an input variable for part of the feedback loop (which determines input current) instead of it being an inherent characteristic of the valving itself. It allows us to produce damping forces which would not be achievable through passive means.

Suspension position (at least with the DSC) is not a particularly powerful input variable. You can set 'hydraulic bump stops', but that's about it. In a passive damper with bypass ports, position can be a very real tuning tool, but we don't see that much on road race cars.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You're not reading what I wrote. I'm not just parsing words.

Yes, all damping is velocity sensitive, but the point is that the controllers are using it as an input variable for part of the feedback loop (which determines input current) instead of it being an inherent characteristic of the valving itself. It allows us to produce damping forces which would not be achievable through passive means.
Different in the range of tuning available, right?

Suspension position (at least with the DSC) is not a particularly powerful input variable. You can set 'hydraulic bump stops', but that's about it. In a passive damper with bypass ports, position can be a very real tuning tool, but we don't see that much on road race cars.
I know a little about position-sensitive damping. Wasn't thinking there would be much use for position-sensitive damping on a road course, either.

Norm
Sponsored