Sponsored

under hood temp

lana66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 1968 gt350
I don't see much written about how hard and hot the dipstick is to check. Anyone feel the same . On another note I installed the blue Ford performance valve covers (aluminum ) and I think there acting like a heat sink. Tomorrow when it is cold I'm removing them. I have had O heat issues but it doesn't seem right.
Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking about getting those. I wonder if anyone else has the same issue.

Anyone...?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
You should be waiting a minimum of 15 minutes before you check your oil after you shut off the car to get a proper oil level reading. Open the hood and wait the 15 minutes, that will help. I do notice if I park the car after a drive and open the hood, there is a lot of heat in there. But it does dissipate fairly quickly. Otherwise, I have no problem with the heat or checking the oil level.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
It's pretty much a habit by now that I pop the hood after I'm done driving the car to help cool it down and just not keep the heat all bottled up under the hood.

Sponsored

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
It's normal for any vehicle to have high underhood temps after being driven; there is an immense amount of heat generated by the engine and exhaust. As someone else mentioned, wait 15 minutes before even touching anything under the hood. The oil level won't be accurate until at least 15 minutes anyway; the oil needs time to drain from the heads back down to the oil pan.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
...has anyone noticed that the handbrake area (inside the car), is rather warm, on the right side (on the passengers side)?

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
I rarely pop the hood when it's warm as I check oil level before driving (cold). I think the waiting 15min bit is not strictly a technical instruction....I believe it is also (maybe primarily) standard safety verbiage to keep idiots from 2nd degree burns and filing lawsuits.

As a side note I am ~1750mi and my level has held steady just above the bottom eyelet since I first started checking at 900mi. No track use...some DD hwy miles, quite a few backroad romps, quite a bit of just cruising.

Back on topic yes I do find the dipstick location to be a pain in the rear.