xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
Hello all,

Found a U3003 - Battery Voltage DTC today. The car's been sitting in the garage for the last 3 weeks but cranked right up on the first go. I haven't seen any signs of a weak battery either, tho it's been 3 years since I bought the car. This is the OEM battery so it's definitely older then 3y if you factor in production, shipping to the EU and god knows how many months it sat on the dealer's floor.

I know it's common to change it after 3 years but in all honesty, it's working just fine.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking about simply keeping it under observation for the time being.

PS: This DTC is a one off (so far/*knock on wood*) and I scan the car about once every 2-3 months.

u3003.jpg
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Have the battery load tested. I think you'll find that it is getting weak. It may well start the car but if the starter pulls the voltage too low it can piss-off lots of odd things.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
The OEM battery on these cars is weak. I have a 2023 Mustang GT, automatic, and it's my daily driver. Since I bought the car in January, I have received the following message 3 times: Screen off to save battery." Also, when I had FORD Pass installed earlier in the year, I received the message that my battery went into deep sleep mode. I had the battery tested once already and it tested fine. The car always starts right up. I'm going to get it tested again tomorrow.
People on here either get an aftermarket stronger battery, or put a battery tender on it. I can't put a battery tender on it because I live in an apartment complex:(

OP
OP
xcm77

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
People on here either get an aftermarket stronger battery, or put a battery tender on it. I can't put a battery tender on it because I live in an apartment complex:(
I remember some negative posts about battery tenders around here...

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I remember some negative posts about battery tenders around here...
Negative in what way?
Buy a quality tender that's an actual tender (as opposed to say a float charger) and hook it up correctly and you'll have no problems.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xcm77

xcm77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Claudiu
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2020
Negative in what way?
I can't remember tbh but something along the lines of either being useless, either too expensive compared to simply buying another battery

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I can't remember tbh but something along the lines of either being useless, either too expensive compared to simply buying another battery
A Battery Tender branded one runs $35ish. A new battery for our cars starts around $120.
Cars that sit, especially highly electronic modern ones, are very hard on batteries. A Tender can, and will, extend a batteries life by half or more. Seems to me like an inexpensive way to keep from buying batteries every year or so.
Now if you DD the car a tender is more trouble than it's worth. Personally, on our DDs I plan on a new battery every 3ish years. Extreme climates, hot, cold or both can shorten that time frame significantly.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Your money...
At this point you aren't even sure your battery is falling.
Again, charge it fully and have it load tested.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Auto zone will load test for free. I had them test my wife's car and they said it was finr.mine didn't pass so had the m install new one

WW2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium 401A
The BMS is set from the factory to only charge to like 75-80 percent. This results in deep sleep mode kicking in way too much. Your battery is probably just fine. If Im not going to drive it for more than a week, I connect a trickle charger. It charges the battery to 100 percent. I believe you can up the charge percentage in forscan to prevent premature deep sleep. Also, at 2 weeks without a start, it goes into deep sleep anyway....
Sponsored