Sponsored

Twin turbo setup with boost controller

reugre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT Black
Hi Guys,

In a bit of a dilemma in making sure we are doing this right.

Some background info first:
I've had a sleeper (bottom mounted) twin-turbo fitted about a year or so ago, running wastegate spring boost. I first had both waste gates on 7PSI springs and later changed them to 10PSI springs all tuning so far has been done by Palm Beach remote tuning.

Car is 2017 GT with 2018 intake manifold running 2 x 62/62 oil-less turbos from Comp Turbo bottom mounted (sleeper).

Hub Dyno figures using pump gas:
With 7 PSI WG springs it made 636 WHP
With 10 PSI WG springs it made 732 WHP at 5700RPM (probably more if we were able to do a full run but clutch started slipping and we couldnt get a dyno run past 5800)

I must admit it's mad driving it and sometimes does scare the heck out of me since I upped it to 10PSI. So I have now decided to replace the Mcleod clutch to the Lethal performance clutch 1000 rated and most importantly install a boost controller and drop the springs back to 7PSI so I can do normal day to day driving on lower boost with the benefit of being able to up the boost when ever i want that extra power with just a click of a button :)

Sorry for the long story but since i never really posted here i thought i would give a bit of background before i get to my question.

So my question is related to which install diagram should we follow because when looking through the turbo smart installation instructions there are like a million options to choose from.

I figured out that for a V configuration I should be using two solenoids (apparently).

My first question was which configuration should I be using to install the boost controller. Below are the installation diagram options which I believe are relevant to my setup.

Option 1 - Twin Solenoid (as below)

1655323164286.png

Option 2 - Single Solenoid (as below)

1655323194324.png

Option 3 - Twin Solenoid for High Back pressure (as below)

1655323223123.png

Option 4 - Single Solenoid for High Back pressure (as below)

1655323246347.png

Any idea which of the above install diagrams should I follow.

It is important to note that I am getting my vacuum reference from the inlet manifold just after the throttle body because I have not tapped the turbo compressor therefore I am using a vacuum block to connect all the vacuum hoses to it (i hope this is ok)

Many thanks
Reuben
Sponsored

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1 Hellion TT
Personally I am doing Option 1 with two 3 port solenoids.
Looks like option 3 and 4 are for high back pressure applications. I tried emailing Turbosmart about using two 4 port solenoids and they never really answered why I should or should not use that setup. I later found out the two 4 port method is for making larger amounts of boost. and tuning that method can be tricky. There is a lower resolution for the twin 4 port method. so basically you turn up the boost and it might go much higher than you were expecting. Option 1 should give you finer adjustment but will max out at twice the spring pressure (that is my understanding, but I am no expert.)14PSI with 7pound waste gate springs.
For me I dont see going to 14PSI of boost anytime soon so it didnt matter.

OP
OP

reugre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT Black
Looks like option 3 and 4 are for high back pressure applications. I tried emailing Turbosmart about using two 4 port solenoids and they never really answered why I should or should not use that setup. I later found out the two 4 port method is for making larger amounts of boost. and tuning that method can be tricky. There is a lower resolution for the twin 4 port method. so basically you turn up the boost and it might go much higher than you were expecting. Option 1 should give you finer adjustment but will max out at twice the spring pressure (that is my understanding, but I am no expert.)14PSI with 7pound waste gate springs.
You are correct about the 4 port solenoids. They give you the benefit of larger boost applications but can be tricky for tuning, never the less I dont plan to go above 14PSI. I even find the 10PSI application tricky to drive hard!

What I'm trying to understand is what is "high back pressure applications" i seen this and asked loads of ppl i knew and when i asked them is the mustang considered high back pressure and I just get a blank face lol.

When i asked a reputable UK tuner he told me Option 1 or 2 and when i asked Palm Beach Dyno they told me Option 3 so that made me even more confused cause two tuners couldnt agree.

OP
OP

reugre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT Black
I've actually just came across this video in my research and most probably it has answered my question that I should go with Option 3 for the best waste gate control.

Awesome video starting from the most basic boost control setup to the most complex :)

video here:
Sponsored