Sponsored

Turning off traction control vs advance trac

Nukebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
There are similar threads, but they don't quite explain the details. When at the drag strip, does turning off advance trac also turn off traction control? What is the common consensus about which would be the most beneficial on a stock 2019 A10?
Sponsored

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
In for answers, I have often wondered the same thing. When I did 1/4 my 18 A10 this year I made my passeds with advanced trac off, and in drag mode. I am assuming advanced traction off turns regular off as well. When I tried to take regular trac off first, then hold for advanced, traction control would come back on. I would have to hold it again to get advanced off.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Found this, explains the difference between the two;

AdvanceTrac is yaw control, meaning that its job is to keep the car on the intended path around a corner. It intervenes and applies brakes individually at any of the 4 wheels when the steering wheel is pointed one way (driver's intention) while the car is heading a different way (like when it understeers and plows off a corner, or when it oversteers and the back of the car swings around).

Traction Control is completely different. Its job is to keep the rear tires from spinning so that you can get traction when accelerating - even in inclement weather. It uses the ABS sensors to detect the tiniest bit of slip, then will reduce power (pull timing and/or fuel), and even apply the rear brakes (if needed) to keep the tires from breaking loose.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Turning off advanced traction control turns off traction control. Turning off traction control does not turn off advanced traction control. However, even with both systems turned off, they're still technically "on" and will kick on in certain circumstances. The only way to completely turn off both of them is to remove the plug, which is next to the airbox in the engine bay. I have not done this myself, as I see no benefit for street driving. However, for best times at the strip, this is the best way to go. This has been mentioned on other threads, as well as more detailed info on what unhooking the plug does.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
If you drive aggressive on the street turning off the TC will cause less wear on your rear brake pads.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
And possible this.................
5c8ccee66da59.cover.jpg
Sure, if you're an idiot. That looks like an uneven gravel road. Who would punch it it? That's also a v6, those came with open differentials. Bad example mate

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Sure, if you're an idiot. That looks like an uneven gravel road. Who would punch it it? That's also a v6, those came with open differentials. Bad example mate
Dan, it was just a comical example. Ever hear of Cars & Coffee? :)

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The s550 with the pp1 is quite forgiving. I play around with all the nannies turned off when ever I get the chance on empty roads. This is my first rwd v8 in almost 20 years so I started off very conservatively and slowly started trying to get a little more wild each time. Pulling this beast back under control has been surprisingly easy every time.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The s550 with the pp1 is quite forgiving. I play around with all the nannies turned off when ever I get the chance on empty roads. This is my first rwd v8 in almost 20 years so I started off very conservatively and slowly started trying to get a little more wild each time. Pulling this beast back under control has been surprisingly easy every time.
Thats what I thought about my old car until it didnt work once and I hit a pole at 50 mph. I even told friends "its easy to keep this car straight, its got a long wheelbase". You sound like you are on the path that I was on, getting a bit crazier each time so, just wanted to post this :

XjdjD1u.jpg

Just keep TCS off but advancetrac on unless you want to do donuts. The advancetrac on these modern mustangs is great and rarely kicks in, it takes you getting pretty sideways for it to kick in anyway and I have been fine with it kicking in each time it has. Its probably saved me atleast 5-10 times already, I can usually do rolling burnouts up to 70 on level surfaces with advancetrac on TCS off with nothing kicking in if I stay straight enough.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I am still trying to determine how people spin tires so much. Mine, even with AT off will not spin the tires. Granted, I have not nor plan to use line lock or brake torquing, etc. In my 300C with same brand/model tires ( different size ) if I was under 30 I just mashed the pedal and it would easily spin the tires. With my custom tunes and TC off it was very easy at lower speeds to light them up at will. Now that said, mine does pull real hard but just seems to hook up and go. Maybe on lesser size/quality tires I would have the tire spinning issues everyone seems to talk about.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I am still trying to determine how people spin tires so much. Mine, even with AT off will not spin the tires. Granted, I have not nor plan to use line lock or brake torquing, etc. In my 300C with same brand/model tires ( different size ) if I was under 30 I just mashed the pedal and it would easily spin the tires. With my custom tunes and TC off it was very easy at lower speeds to break light them up at will. Now that said, mine does pull real hard but just seems to hook up and go. Maybe on lesser size/quality tires I would have the tire spinning issues everyone seems to talk about.
On the stock tune I think there is a lot of torque management, I have a PBD e85 tune with no torque management and also the 10r80 with drag mode and 3.55's. Drag mode is just so violent it rips them loose then you can keep them spinning after that, also the gearing being so low makes the shift points lower, and you dont even drop out of the powerband on shifts with 10 speeds so that helps a lot.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The best thing about the v8 is that the torque delivery is progressive... and easy to manage with throttle.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's not turning off TC that really gets people in trouble, it's turning off Advanced Trac or Yaw Control in other cars. I mainly drive my car in Sport mode on Track. I can feel Advanced Trac kicking in when I make a mistake. And I'm super glad for it.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Dan, it was just a comical example. Ever hear of Cars & Coffee? :)
I have. I've spent a good amount of time laughing over the mustang only crash videos. I apologize if you meant it as a joke but it's a pet peeve of mine when someone, non jokingly, preaches about turning off the traction control as being the worst thing ever. Not that you were in any sense, but I couldn't tell what the intent was.
Sponsored