Turbo catch can

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Quick question guys. I had a jlt catch can on the passanger side when I was na. When I installed my hellion kit I went ahead and kept it and cut it in on the breather line on the passanger side between the valve cover and filter on the turbo per hellions instructions. I usually get about 1 ounce of oil in between oil changes but I just did my first oil change since installing the kit and had almost no oil in the can. First thing I thought is maybe it's backwards but I checked and it's not. Any ideas?

I always thought I'd see more oil in there now that I'm boosted. Only difference in driving is I probably don't hit 7500-7800 rpms as often as I used too. Typically I'm moving well enough by 7k that I shift lol.
Sponsored

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
What do you have on your drivers side? I know that FI pressurizes the crankcase and both sides see pressure. when you’re NA the passengers side is mainly the issue and the drivers side will be feeder/clean. When adding boost the PCV on the passengers side becomes the path that is more resistant to pressure and you’re more prone to blow oil through your drivers side. I’m assuming your PCV is still intact. I’m not super well versed on how the hellion kits are plumbed and what that drivers side looks like post install but I would bet that’s where the blow by is going 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Pvc is still intact and I haven't added a catch can to the drivers side yet. It is definitely possible that's were all the blow by is going. Just never thought I'd see nothing on the passanger side after boost.

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
To keep things as OEM as possible I would just recommend running a dual catch can setup. Some people gut the PCV and run breather filters but the whole reason you tapped into the passenger side is to maintain vacuum at idle with the PCV value. Your missing oil is probably being blown out the drivers side IMO. If you’re running high amounts of boost get a catch can with a one way valve but most people don’t run over 10psi so you should be fine with a simple setup 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your help Dom.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
You are getting less oil because a N/A engine that has been boosted and is in good condition has less blow by then when it was N/A. Sounds wrong I know but here’s how. In a N/A engine the rings don’t open all the way against the cylinder wall until the piston moves enough to start making compression. Before it starts to make compression cylinder gasses are moving past the rings. In a boosted engine the piston rings can be forced against the cylinder almost immediately because the cylinder is already under pressure so all the gasses are trapped inside the cylinder so there’s less blowby/ crankcase pressure/ oil in catch can.

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
You are getting less oil because a N/A engine that has been boosted and is in good condition has less blow by then when it was N/A. Sounds wrong I know but here’s how. In a N/A engine the rings don’t open all the way against the cylinder wall until the piston moves enough to start making compression. Before it starts to make compression cylinder gasses are moving past the rings. In a boosted engine the piston rings can be forced against the cylinder almost immediately because the cylinder is already under pressure so all the gasses are trapped inside the cylinder so there’s less blowby/ crankcase pressure/ oil in catch can.
I've always been under the impression turbo car experience more blow by then NA cars but if what your saying is right my engine must be very healthy! :crackup:

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I have two of upr pcv delete/adapters for an10 fittings. I was going to install soon, with a vented catch can. Paxton car. I've seen numerous vented valve covers, thought this option might be slightly better. Any issues with this and still making vacuum for the booster and other things that need it?

Last edited:

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
Same kit and yeah, passenger side gets nothing (clean side) and my driver side gets all of the blow by

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Same kit and yeah, passenger side gets nothing (clean side) and my driver side gets all of the blow by
Thanks for the input. I'll try switching it over to the drivers side until I get another one.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have two of upr pcv delete/adapters for an10 fittings. I was going to install soon, with a vented catch can. Paxton car. I've seen numerous vented valve covers, thought this option might be slightly better. Any issues with this and still making vacuum for the booster and other things that need it?
Do you mean from the valve cover to the catch can without any vacuum source at all ?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I've always been under the impression turbo car experience more blow by then NA cars but if what your saying is right my engine must be very healthy! :crackup:
A engine built for turbo would have more blow by because of how it’s built.

a used average stock engine should have about the same. a healthy stock engine will have less because the rings are forced harder against the cylinders and forced against the cylinder almost right at the beginning of the stroke.

This is one of the reasons for ring-land failure. The combustion temperature difference between N/A and boosted is almost the same but the pressure forcing the rings against the cylinder is a different story. A lot more force pushing the rings against the cylinder causes friction so the rings heat up and expand more until they butt and boom

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Do you mean from the valve cover to the catch can without any vacuum source at all ?
Yep, PCV delete run both valve covers to the can

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I have not, had a gz pump on my last car; but very different build.
Sponsored