Sponsored

Turbo cars with stall converter

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 PP1 Hellion TT
Hey fellas,
Been waiting almost 6 months since getting a new circle D converter with the 1x10 stator ("turbo Converter") to drive my car. Went through basically 2 transmissions since doing the install. My question is kinda of a tranmission question but I feel the Forced induction crowd are the right people to ask since they are likely to have installed similar converters. I picked the car up and left dallas at 5:00pm which had me in stop and go traffic for more than an hour before I got out of town (temps outside were in the triple digits that day). In that time I started smelling trans fluid periodically, just a little bit. I was watching the temp gauge on the trans during that time it had gone to half and a little over and back down a few times. once I was about 20 minutes out of town the wrench popped up on the dash. I pulled over and tried calling the shop, but it was after hours. I proceeded to head home and had a few more incidents with the wrench popping up and the trans acting funny. When I was 20 minutes from home the wrench popped up again and after I stopped and sat for a minute the wrench didnt go off this time and it was doing all kinds of wierd stuff while trying to shift gears so I towed it back to the shop the next week.

My question, did anyone else with a 3600 stall and fresh stage 2 transmission have issues with heat? And did you install a thermal bypass? And did it resolve the overheating issue for just normal driving? I didnt stomp on it at all... there was no oppurtunity.

Side note, I was tickled as hell at how much it slipped compared to a stock converter, like it should have been that way from factory. :)

Thanks,
Sponsored

Brandon91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I have a circle D with a 3800 stall and a suncoast stage 2. My temps were 170 to 190 when I was cruising around city and hwy driving. I had a Procharger on the car until it ripped my crank snout off a few weeks ago.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Self Built 6R80. Circle D 258mm 2C. 3200-3400 stall. No thermal bypass. Operates at 194-204Ā° depending on ambient temps and workload.

Frank's 2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 F150
I have the Circle D 3X10 stator (4000 stall) F150 valve body and the Mishimoto trans cooler which is huge. My transmission temps barely make it to 150 even in 90 degree air,

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I have a built 6R80 with a Circle D 258 2B and my Temps while on a long drive will be in the 205 range. I did not do the thermal bypass. I have never thrown a code or wrench icon.

@noshine4mine , what were your actual Trans Temps? It should show in your dash display.

OP
OP
noshine4mine

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a built 6R80 with a Circle D 258 2B and my Temps while on a long drive will be in the 205 range. I did not do the thermal bypass. I have never thrown a code or wrench icon.

@noshine4mine , what were your actual Trans Temps? It should show in your dash display.
I am guessing 230ish at its hottest.
Car isnt done yet so I dont know. I never had the number gauge up when I was leaving DFW. I know better now but the replies make me feel better. Seems like I was on the edge of what it can handle heat wise with the new converted and the ambient temp (it was hot as ballz that day) plus traffic just pushed it over the edge. Im glad I found out though, I would have been pissed to find out 2 months later in traffic at home it needed a thermal bypass. Sounds like if I was able just to cruise right out of town it would have never displayed the issue.

Circle D confirmed it would have been producing quite a bit more heat with the 1x10 stator.

OP
OP
noshine4mine

noshine4mine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a circle D with a 3800 stall and a suncoast stage 2. My temps were 170 to 190 when I was cruising around city and hwy driving. I had a Procharger on the car until it ripped my crank snout off a few weeks ago.
With those temps did you ever get stuck in heavy traffic barely moving for long periods?

Brandon91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
With those temps did you ever get stuck in heavy traffic barely moving for long periods?
Iā€™ve only been stuck in traffic twice since the converter/trans build during summer and both times right around 200. It cools down pretty quick once I start moving.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the Circle D 3X10 stator (4000 stall) F150 valve body and the Mishimoto trans cooler which is huge. My transmission temps barely make it to 150 even in 90 degree air,
You are actually lower than optimal operating range for automatic transmission fluid. They work best above 170 degrees.

Sponsored

Frank's 2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 F150
You are actually lower than optimal operating range for automatic transmission fluid. They work best above 170 degrees.
I agree. I'm thinking I might need to get a thermostat in one of the lines.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
BTW. If the transmission is ā€œoverheatingā€ , (above 225-230Ā°F), a lower temperature thermostat/bypass isnā€™t going to change anything.
Sponsored