Sponsored

Tune adjustments - Looking for advice

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
Looking for some wisdom on a simple question. I am completely stock power wise with the exception of the Lund 91-93 tune. The standard Lund tune is set to have the fans constantly on high and the rev limiter is at 7700. I have no special settings or revisions to the tune. I am considering requesting a revision to have the fans put back to normal but more importantly drop the rev limiter to 6800. To my knowledge, power falls off a cliff after 6500 with the stock intake and manifold. I do not intend to bounce the revs off the limiter, it is a safety net. Is there any reason to keep it at 7700? Any reason not to lower it to 6800? Thank you for sharing any and all info!
Sponsored

Rollin'

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
17 gt pp
Hi, If changing those two things makes you feel better, it is certainly worth sending an email to find out if they can do it for you.
While driving I can't even tell if my fans or on or not. As long as the car stays within the normal operating range it's happy and I'm happy.
I do hit the limiter sometimes but that's my fault. I believe the Ngauge display can be used as an adjustable shift light. Hope you get every thing worked out. Cheers

OP
OP
dead_inside

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
I would love to say that I have the skill to do some hooning and keep a steady eye on the tach but I tend to look at the road more and am just looking to have that safety net in a more reasonable place. Just in case. Am I just making something out of nothing?

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
If you get a 170* thermostat then the fans will only come on in the hottest of days. My CHT are under 200* on 95* days.

Your not wrong about peak power drop off revving it past 6700 but I think it falls off at 7k for 15-17 IM. I dont think your asking to much for that safety net, 7.5k not really necessary unless your going to PBs and have a 18 IM or cobra jet

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
You are better off reving to 7500 and not hitting the limiter than hitting the limiter at 6800. That is why they set it like they do. Banging the rev limiter is a good way to kill the OPG.

As chitown said, pick up a 170 thermostat. It works great with the Lund fan settings and keeps a very steady temperature even in hot climates.

Sponsored

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
You want the rev limiter to be higher than your actual shift point so you don’t hit the rev limiter.

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isnt the limiter nothing more than a software limit? Why would hitting a software limit at 6800 rpm cause your opgs to fail?

Dont the opgs fail cause you keep spinning the motor past 7500?

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Isnt the limiter nothing more than a software limit? Why would hitting a software limit at 6800 rpm cause your opgs to fail?

Supposedly, I had mine set to 7800 and never had any issues but I was N/A

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@OnThree

Well I didnt mean there going to fail if you keep revving to the moon, just that dudes ringing it out to 8k are the one typically that have opg failure, and your right most of them are FI also

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
For 15-17 the limiter is set at 7000 rpm stock. I would not run it lower than that. My power starts falling off at about 6700, and it's pretty easy to shift in time as to not hit the limiter. I just aim for the 6750 mark on the tach and don't have issues hitting the limiter.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I flashed a 93 Lund tune two weeks ago and the fans coming on early was something I noticed right away. I updated my case on their website and requested a change to the fans and an updated tune was ready the next day. I haven't flashed the updated tune, plan on going the 170 thermostat route. If your still in the 90 day from purchase window Lund will make revisions at no cost.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase

It is the shock of hitting the limiter that can break the OPG. When you hit the fuel cut it puts stress on the timing components.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
These cars need to shift right at the limiter to stay at optimal RPM in the next gear. If you don’t like 7,700 I would return to to 7k or 7,200 to give a little wiggle room.

You can still mechanically overrev and engine past the limiter (WOT missed shift, downshifting into a numerically lower gear at too high of a MPH). The limiter just cuts fuel at a preset RPM to keep you from “driving” over that RPM.

OP
OP
dead_inside

dead_inside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Prem PP
Absolutely. Lund was great to work with and I have nothing but good things to say about their service and product. Like I mentioned earlier, harmful or not, I have no intention of bouncing the revs of the limiter. I was just seeking input on the setting as a safety net only and I really like the advice of having it at 7k, the same as stock. I'm able to maintain fairly consistent shift points during spirited driving but if I were to do any sort of burnout, the pedal modulation having a safety net was the source of my inquiry. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and shared their wisdom!!
Sponsored