OP

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Just because that's how it's used in the GT350, doesn't mean it's not the same part #. That part is just a LED array. It'll light up whenever it gets a signal, whether that's from the IPC or the ACC module. And since I don't think there's a lot of cars with ACC, and there's not a lot of GT350s, it's probably more cost effective for Ford to use the same part for both, than maintain of inventory of nearly identical parts. Just add some bi-colored LEDs, change the circuitry inside, and calll it a day, charging the whole thing to Ford Performance. That's even more likely if the Road & Track story about itis true: "the story goes that a Ford Performance employee thought about other uses for the collision warning system in his late-model Taurus SHO, which flashes some LEDs against the windshield. He realized that the existing tech could be reprogrammed to function as a shift indicator without a whole lot of effort. He modified the unit on his SHO, then showed it to the brass. They fast-tracked it for the GT350, and here we are." And then there's all the Ford compatibility lists for the part which shows it working for both.

parts.png

So I'm just asking if my part is before the GT350 revision, or if there's something else that's different between them.
So your comment got me digging deeper. It seems like you are right, that the part is actually the same for GT350 and all other Mustangs. Nevertheless I do not agree with your logic of just making one part instead of two with different functionality. This really depends on the costs in the end. If they can save some money, the will do that. Bi-colored LEDs and the circuitry to support this is quite an effort and this is not used on a regular Mustang.
Nevertheless the IPC controls the HUD function. I was not able to identify any configuration changes in the IPC, which would enable the shift lights in a non-GT350 IPC. So it seems like this is really related to the programming/calibration of the IPC.

What would be possible, built a little Arduino or something, which sniffs on the CAN bus for the RPM and the HUD warning light and controls the HUD accordingly. What is tricky to identify the messages you need to send to the HUD for the shift indicator lights to show. Someone with a GT350 would have to sniff these with an appropriate tool
Or you switch to a GT350 IPC, which some guys have done before.
Sponsored

Mastodon2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So your comment got me digging deeper. It seems like you are right, that the part is actually the same for GT350 and all other Mustangs. Nevertheless I do not agree with your logic of just making one part instead of two with different functionality. This really depends on the costs in the end. If they can save some money, the will do that. Bi-colored LEDs and the circuitry to support this is quite an effort and this is not used on a regular Mustang.
Nevertheless the IPC controls the HUD function. I was not able to identify any configuration changes in the IPC, which would enable the shift lights in a non-GT350 IPC. So it seems like this is really related to the programming/calibration of the IPC.

What would be possible, built a little Arduino or something, which sniffs on the CAN bus for the RPM and the HUD warning light and controls the HUD accordingly. What is tricky to identify the messages you need to send to the HUD for the shift indicator lights to show. Someone with a GT350 would have to sniff these with an appropriate tool
Or you switch to a GT350 IPC, which some guys have done before.
Yeah, I had no intention of trying to enable the GT350 HUD in my car. I know that's not possible without the IPC, and while it might be cool to have the 200MPH speedo, I'd rather have the MyColor (call me weird, but I drive with the headlights on more than I'd reach those speeds, and I like having the gauges match the Ice Blue color of all the buttons and switches.) Since I already have several arduinos laying around, that I planned to mimic the shift light with it. That's why I opened up my HUD in the first place.

The weird thing is, even if I wired an arduino pin directly to each LED, bypassing the module's circuitry, I cannot control each one individually. I can control any 1 LED, but some are wired in series, so that turning one on turns another on too. And some are just weird, lighting up regardless of anything touching them. I've been going LED by LED (324 combinations in all) to see how each light up, and I can't find a true pattern between them. LEDs 4,7,10,13 and 16 behave the most strangely, but not consistently across all LEDs.
20200525_033508022_iOS.jpeg

So I could wire it so that all 18 LEDs turn on at once, like how the Collision Avoidance system works, but I can't ramp them with the tach. I'd rather modify the existing hardware than build something from scratch. That's why I was just curious if the newer part had different circuitry, and didn't want to spend the $70 to buy one.

OP
OP

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
If you watch this video, the different modes become a bit clearer.

1)
My HUD looks different to the version you have.
IMAG4123-20200525-171527547.jpg

2)
The LEDs only have one color - red. Depending on the intensity it looks more yellow or red.

3)
They used some tricks to address the individual LEDs. The Darlington transistor array ULQ2004A (chip on the right, connector is left) can only drive 7 outputs.
1C --> LED3+6
3C --> LED9+12
5C --> LED15+18

Last edited:

Mastodon2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you watch this video, the different modes become a bit clearer.

1)
My HUD looks different to the version you have.
IMAG4123-20200525-171527547.jpg

2)
The LEDs only have one color - red. Depending on the intensity it looks more yellow or red.

3)
They used some tricks to address the individual LEDs. The Darlington transistor array ULQ2004A (chip on the right, connector is left) can only drive 7 outputs.
1C --> LED3+6
3C --> LED9+12
5C --> LED15+18
Interesting. Looks like there's too much of a curve on it, like it wouldn't match the windshield. At least that array explains some of the common grounding. After reading the datasheetfor it, I figured I'd try to jumper some of those inputs to some of the LEDs, but I'm either not using enough power lines, the wrong voltage, or just don't have it jumped correctly. Might just be easier to craft my own anyways. I have the Freematics OBDII adapter arriving on Friday, that I'd be using to read RPM. Can't be too hard to ID the right CAN signal for the collision avoidance, and either relay it into the existing module, or process it into a new custom one. Besides, I already found the LEDs Ford uses. And they're available in different colors, so I could have something like:
3000-3750 RPM --> 4 Green
3750-4500 RPM --> 8 Green
4500-5000 RPM --> 8 Green, 2 yellow
5000-5500 RPM --> 8 Green, 4 yellow
5500-6000 RPM --> 8 Green, 6 yellow
6000+ RPM --> 8 Green, 6 yellow, 4 red

Looks like there's still quite a bit of work ahead, so I'll quit hijacking this BLIS/ACC thread and sometime soon I'll make a new one for the shift light.

Thanks!

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Not to mention because the non-basic grill is opened in front of the sensor any road debris will hit the sensor and will destroy your precious sensor
I've had an ACC on my '18 Accord 2.0 manual and didn't realize I was going to miss it on my '19 Bullitt. It has a mesh grill. Do you think I'd have to forego the entire front bumper to get the bracket on there and have this done?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
I've had an ACC on my '18 Accord 2.0 manual and didn't realize I was going to miss it on my '19 Bullitt. It has a mesh grill. Do you think I'd have to forego the entire front bumper to get the bracket on there and have this done?
First the description here is not for the facelift. Th facelift is different, but it should be possible to do this upgrade too. And in my opinion you need to remove the bumper. Removing the bumper is not a big issue. And I am not sure if the ACC sensor will work with a mesh grill.

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
i had the ikon gt350 front bumper and now the oem gt350 front end conversion and adaptive cruise works with no issues for me. The Adaptive Cruise Module is mounted to the factory Mustang mount.

Last edited:

BlueDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP Mustang GT - Ruby Red
i had the ikon gt350 front bumper and now the oem gt350 front end conversion and adaptive cruise works with no issues for me.
Hmm, I may have to give it a try sometime then! Thanks for the heads up!

junti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT EU
Hey guys,

I am able to get FR3T-9G768-AD would that work or do I just need FR3Z-9E731-C ? The FR3T-9G768-AD is offered as Mustang Radar ACC original part.
I am EU based and have EU version, not sure it makes any difference.

Thanks

Sponsored
OP
OP

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Probably the FR3T-9G768-AD would work. Funny thing: if you search for FR3Z-9E731-C on RockAuto the picture shows FR3T-9G768-AH as part number. Could be the difference between engineering part number and the other category (I cant remember at the moment).

Give it a try and be extra careful when testing the system ;-)

junti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jan
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT EU
Do you know the difference between AF/AD/AG ending? the AD is on ebay for 150usd used so I guess that is worth trying

OP
OP

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Do you know the difference between AF/AD/AG ending? the AD is on ebay for 150usd used so I guess that is worth trying
So I do not know the exact meaning, but these indicate different options and the revisions. So here I guess A is the option of the part and D, F and G are the revisions. This depends on the part. They are parts where A supersedes B and there are parts where A is a different option than B (performance package vs. non-performance package).

I assume you are fine with the one on eBay.

rubens_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ruben Rolon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP ESS G3 SUPERCHARGED
I used the as-built data from a 201A optioned EB with RSS and it did the ticket! I definitely owe you a drink when you're in this part of the world, my friend! I took plenty of pictures during the install so I'll write up a picture by picture guide so someone like me can do it.

272911-b5d08563017ec56224979283504fc577.png
NO DTCS.PNG
can you post pictures need help with the wiring on the door and the the mirror almost have everything.
Sponsored