Sponsored

Truth about wheel and tire size for performance?

chipset35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
So if low profile tires are so great, why do the guys at the drag strip even in passenger vehicles use high profile tires?
Also, when I watch NASCAR or Grand Prix racing they all use high profile tires.
Thus, are low profile tires just a result of fad looks and use for drifting?
Just curious.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its not either or. Bigger sidewalls have some advantages for traction in a straight line and generally absorbing bumps.

Shorter sidewalls can provide more transitional reaponse as there is less squirm in the sidewall, so they’re sometimes used where that kind of feel is desired. Its harder to make low profile tires and wheels weigh as little as smaller wheels and taller tires, so theres that too.

On a smooth surface in a straight line, it wont matter an ounce how tall your tire sidewall is.

Nascar, formula 1, etc have some pretty big differences in how the car suspensions and brakes are packaged, which changes what wheel sizes they use, so its not apple to apple to compare the tires they use to what we might use on a mass market road car. Their tires also cost more than our tires do.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So if low profile tires are so great, why do the guys at the drag strip even in passenger vehicles use high profile tires?
Just curious.
13" wheels are mandated in Formula One. They would actually benefit from something like 18" wheels and there have been several proposals to go to that. IIRC the wheel size is also mandated in NASCAR to be the small size they are.

Low profile tires increase handling response. Drag radials when used competitively have tall, soft sidewalls to increase forward grip at the expense of handling response and predictability. F1 and NASCAR tall profile tires have very stiff sidewall reinforcement to deal with the large cornering loads and improve handling on a less-than-ideal aspect ratio for the task.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Just curious.
More low profile tires were made when wheel sizes started going up.
Can't fit a 24" wheel with a 60 series sidewall. lol At least on most vehicles.

Like Bama said Low profiles are great for handing, that's really about it. People think by getting a 305/315 they will get better traction. Yes it will better than say a 265 but it's nothing like a 17" drag radial.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Extremely low profile tires have the "benefit" of allowing less wheel protection from road hazards. If you run them, check tire pressure religiously and stay away from potholes. I've seen so many guys rollin on 24s that have a visually bent wheel while going down the road. How they put up with the vibrations is beyond me.
Sponsored