Sponsored

Tried a few donuts in the rain, question

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi guys,

Was raining yesterday and went to some private property that has a super large asphalt pad and got permission to do a few donuts. My first time doing full donuts vs throwing the tail end out in the rain. I held the traction control button up for 10 seconds and got the "Advanced trac OFF" indicator. I was in "D" in the tranmission, put the pedal down and cranked the wheel, effortlessly did a full 360 which was awesome.

Question is that after, I was not able to switch drive modes back to "My Mode" due to a error of "Unable to switch drive modes" and I also had a hill fault warning on my fordpass app. I drove about 500meters over 3 minutes making my way back to the main road before I was able to return to "My Mode"

Does anyone know why this happened?
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I'm going guess you got water somewhere you shouldn't have. I had something similar happen when washing my car once. I always take a quick drive around the block before my final dry. Spun my tires a little got traction and hill asist errors. (I don't have drive modes) Brought it home finished drying it and when I started it up later all were gone and have never returned.

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm going guess you got water somewhere you shouldn't have. I had something similar happen when washing my car once. I always take a quick drive around the block before my final dry. Spun my tires a little got traction and hill asist errors. (I don't have drive modes) Brought it home finished drying it and when I started it up later all were gone and have never returned.
Thanks for the reply, any idea why I couldnt switch drive modes?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Once and a while if traction control gets too confused (yes, even when turned off), it will throw a dash warning and lock out out of changing modes for a bit. It can happen on gravel roads when driving kind of normally.

Don't worry about it.

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Were you moving when you tried to switch modes? It may have gotten conflicting signals from the sensors and decided not to risk it.

As others mentioned, it could have been a bunch of water somewhere. The system is not going to come on if it thinks that there is a condition that it needs to intervene.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Thanks for the reply, any idea why I couldnt switch drive modes?
I'd assume if advanced track or the wheel sensors or any other systems involved were wigging out from the rain it wouldn't let you switch drive modes because the computer couldn't accurately control them.

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies guys. Didnt try to switch modes while doing the actual 360, only after while driving down the road to the main road at about 5mph.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
It's normal. Takes a little driving to reset it after it gets confused. Same thing happens when your on the dyno
Sponsored