Sponsored

Trans/Diff temperature gauge mounting

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I thought I would offer this concept for anyone looking to mount temperature gauges. I have seen another option here by SVTDSM using the AC vent, that wasn't for me.
Phase 1 of adding coolers to my transmission and differential is mounting temperature gauges. The GT350 Tech Pack doesn't leave many options due to lack of room and no A pillar pods have been available for this car. I didn't care for pillar mounts because of the air bags in the A pillars.
I decided to make my own gauge roof mounts by taking a universal pod and cutting out the pockets, melting/bending the sides to create mounting tabs. Also had to make a sheet metal back plate for the other side of the headliner.
The mount is solid and out of the way, if the gauges were not lit you wouldn't notice them while driving.
2 views of the mounts . . . .

What the gauges look like from the drivers seat . . . .

Sponsored

Last edited:

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I thought I would offer this concept for anyone looking to mount temperature gauges. I have seen another option here by SVTDSM using the AC vent, that wasn't for me.
Phase 1 of adding coolers to my transmission and differential is mounting temperature gauges. The GT350 Tech Pack doesn't leave many options due to lack of room and no A pillar pods have been available for this car. I didn't care for pillar mounts because of the air bags in the A pillars.
I decided to make my own gauge roof mounts by taking a universal pod and cutting out the pockets, melting/bending the sides to create mounting tabs. Also had to make a sheet metal back plate for the other side of the headliner.
The mount is solid and out of the way, if the gauges were not lit you wouldn't notice them while driving.
2 views of the mounts . . . .

What the gauges look like from the drivers seat . . . .

That is awesome work you did there Dave. I think that is the way I will mount mine as well. Question, are you tapping into the OBD to retrieve the temps or do you already have some sensors mounted on the fill/drain plugs on the tranny and did? Either way, this configuration makes sense for tech pack folks so as not to plug the vents, at least for those that want to use the vents still for heating and cooling. Thanks for sharing the pics, really looks great:cheers:

OP
OP
GT_Dave

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
That is awesome work you did there Dave. I think that is the way I will mount mine as well. Question, are you tapping into the OBD to retrieve the temps or do you already have some sensors mounted on the fill/drain plugs on the tranny and did? Either way, this configuration makes sense for tech pack folks so as not to plug the vents, at least for those that want to use the vents still for heating and cooling. Thanks for sharing the pics, really looks great:cheers:
My original plan was to tap into the trans and diff hosings and install sensors. I am looking at the OBD option to determine what is possible. If there is a compatible connection coming from both locations, I would like to try using those first.
I decided to tap into the courtesy lights for the switched power, that works well and is very convenient. The power options on this car need to be sorted out with the computer controlled accessories, I will be looking for a schematic on the car.
If anyone has info on options to connect the Glow Shift gauges to the existing circuits . . I'm all ears.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Very creative indeed! I have so many questions, I don't know where to begin! LOL

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
When you get your hands on the schematics and think you have sorted out the power options, could you please post an update? Thanks a ton for taking this on.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That's awesome! Very tasteful add-on.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hey Dave,
Any update on your temp gauge project? I am especially interested in the trans gauge and source of data you chose. I'd like to start monitoring my trans temp and do not want to invest $500+ in an ngauge. Thanks :cheers:
Sponsored