Trailering

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Getting ready to buy a open trailer and wondering about the best tie down points.
Noticed some of the vendors sell tie down brackets that bolt to the underside of the car.
Seems like a good idea to me, what ya all think?
Thanks
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I have loaded mine by pulling it up with the trailer's winch and car's front tow hook. I used wheel bonnets to hold the car in place. but the trailer must have tie down location that will allow the proper locations of the wheel bonnets.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Ford Performance makes a set of plates that bolt on. Super simple, no issues.
20200529_090934.jpg
20201222_181638.jpg
@1 old racer I’ve tried multiple methods but because I have an enclosed trailer I can’t use the bonnets. I’ve done both straps though the wheel and recently bought the Ford plates in the post above. They work really well and I like them the best, but again my trailer is enclosed and don’t have all the choices due to space on each side.

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Too much discussion on this... the simplest way (and free) is simply through the wheels. Have seen tens and tens of IMSA races where the cars come off the transports tied down through the wheels and wheels only. Been tying down this way for 25 years with never a hiccup and zero issues to anything mechanical.

Good enough for Porsche AG -- good enough for me.

cup cars transport.jpg

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
@1 old racer I’ve tried multiple methods but because I have an enclosed trailer I can’t use the bonnets. I’ve done both straps though the wheel and recently bought the Ford plates in the post above. They work really well and I like them the best, but again my trailer is enclosed and don’t have all the choices due to space on each side.
Do you know if these will work with jacking rails installed? I think this is the way to go.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
OP,
I have Steeda's jacking rails on mine. If you go that way, you will have to make allowance because the front plates use the same holes for mounting. Measure the front plates, flatten them, then re-bend to clear the rail. The rear plates install as in the picture.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
OP,
I have Steeda's jacking rails on mine. If you go that way, you will have to make allowance because the front plates use the same holes for mounting. Measure the front plates, flatten them, then re-bend to clear the rail. The rear plates install as in the picture.
@Mrhavasu I defer to this reply. I don’t use jacking rails. I have ZL1 Addons stealth lift pads since I have a hydraulic lift in my garage. So he says you need to modify, so there’s your answer.

Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Too much discussion on this... the simplest way (and free) is simply through the wheels. Have seen tens and tens of IMSA races where the cars come off the transports tied down through the wheels and wheels only. Been tying down this way for 25 years with never a hiccup and zero issues to anything mechanical.

Good enough for Porsche AG -- good enough for me.

cup cars transport.jpg

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
You also don’t know that on the GT350R and probably the GT350 when you go through the wheels the straps tear up the plastic belly pan in certain areas so there’s not too much to be said.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Through the wheels with mac tie down straps. It is super simple.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Through the wheels with mac tie down straps. It is super simple.
Considering @Mrhavasu has a GT350 the MACs will allow the hook of the cinch straps that connect to the MAC tie downs to rub against the bottom of the plastic just below the brake cooling duct. Here's a picture of what it does. The Mustang Ford Performance Tie Down Kit M-1700-M does NOT let anything metal rub up against the bottom.

tie down.jpg

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
We use the over the tire E-track straps from Mac's straps. Mac's over the tire kit

20210326_142715.jpg
These are way easier to hook up as you don't have to try and reach under the car. Not to mention no scuffed rims or tweaked suspension components. Also since its going over the tire the cars stay nice a tight since it not trying to hold down on the suspension. Our 48' 2 car trailer has the e-track out of steel and has held up with no problems. Our aluminum 24' single car trailer has aluminum e-track installed in it. I have found that it is starting to bend and ware a bit from use. I plan on replacing the track in the aluminum 24' trailer with their stronger style called VersaTie. Its a round style connection with more track material than the e-track design. VersaTie Track
versatie-series3-track-on-trailer2-popup_c5bbf098-ccce-4f33-a6e3-2af98041618f_1024x1024@2x.jpg
versatie-track-series-3_067f1d00-0a96-49db-8ae4-7a90fe1e8504_1024x1024@2x (1).jpg

DaveR.PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT PP2 ; 67 Shelby GT350; 67 Mustang S Code Coupe; 88 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe