Sponsored

Trading my 2016 Z06 for a new 2018 GT350??

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I would not choose one over the other, they are different classes of cars. This is like comparing a 911 to M3. One of them is a 2 seater, smaller, lower to the ground, luxurious sports car. The other seats 4 people, have much more trunk space, more convenient sports car. Mustang is much longer, it is also heavier.

What we need is a corvette with a mustang FPC N/A engine. There is a video of C8 R doing testing with what appears to be a flat plane crank engine. Maybe chevy will put that engine into the C8 GS or Z06 in 3 years and that will be the car to get:)
Sounds about right. They will introduce a FPC N/A several years after Ford. Just like when they introduced the Camaro as a knee jerk reaction to the 1964 1/2 Mustang in 1967.
Sponsored

lgvenable

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT 15 Z/28 sn 0631 09 Corvette Z06 14 F150 SC
Don't race light to light because no driver skills is involved. I think you'll find that most who buy a GT350 don't care much for straight line speed. It wasn't built for it, it sucks at it, and most of us find it boring. Throw a GT350 on track with a z/28 and it all flops. That Achilles heel you mention is exactly why I keep up with the ZL1 1LEs (or beat them) all the time - I can put power down in the corners earlier and carry more speed.

The truth is, all these cars are so close that what really matters is driving skills.

Regarding the (unfortunate) run in you've had with fanboys, it definitely sucks. And bummed to hear folks are trolling in Camaro 5 forum. But I also don't see much (if any) of that hear. Most have been quite fair. And Id argue far more fair than you.

Lastly, every GT350 that's blown up (on track or not) has been warrantied UNLESS it was running an aftermarket tune.
If you had my ceramic brakes you'd find you're on the gas deeper into every corner, then brake hard and almost instantly start accelerating back out of curve. I can run away from ZL11LE's too, especially on a shorter twisty track. However the low end grunt of the LS7 is still there, and in lower gears its even more pronounced. You don't have a chance to race Z/28's do you, (there are only 6 in Tulsa)? The GT350 has 315's width wheels? I went to wider tires to match those since I only licked up 1 lb unsprung weight per wheel, versus going to 325 width and pick up 4 to 5 lbs per tire , depending on tires.

BTW no Z/28's have blown up on the track due to LS7 failures (all failures = aftermarket modified cars.) There has only been one where the valve dropped LS7- the issue that is all over Corvette Forum on th eLS7. However Hib Halverson details the problem and the fix in the crate LS7 and the Z/28 over on the corvette action center.
if you're interested:
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.co...r-the-mystique-of-the-c6-corvette-ls7-engine/

The mustang/ford guys I interacted with on the Camaro 5 forum (Z/28 section)..we tried to resist dissing anyone posting to being called a troll. Again bear in mind, I only posted my opinions to one thread, where comparisons were asked for. Until I did that SEVERAL forum members said to nix a trade C7Z06 to the GT350...

That said, I do like the Coyote engine, great mill, just wish it had the flat plane and extra 80 hp of the GT350. Its a great daily driver; but given that I've already got the Chevy metal and they're all paid off, it just made sense.

lgvenable

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Sounds about right. They seem to be 3-4 years behind FORD. Just like when they introduced the Camaro as a knee jerk reaction to the Mustang in 1967.
no its the mid engine that will bring the vette to the next level, any flat plane crank engine will go there.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Love to see you two get together for track session...sigh...probably never happen. My money on the Honey. Bettin his game is stronger than yours. Thatā€™s all.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Z/28 505 hp 3800 lb. gt350 526 hp 3810 lb, ls7 has a decided 75 to 130 ft lb torque bump acrioss the band, so no you donr run off from a Z/28. On the track those squirrely Ford Track pacakges suck as they get hot, forcing you to pull over. Not on a Z/28..so thats a fact not speculation that's why GT350 owners have a lawsuit against Ford, as they expect to be able to race more than 20 to 40 minutes at a time. So yes the GT350 gets tromped on a track, if it goes any length since the car parts overheat - tranny etc..
LS7....anyone care for an extra helping of dropped valves?
CF is littered with dropped valve horror stories. Most everyone that has gotten their heads professionally checked, have found valve guide tolerances out of spec.

Sponsored

lgvenable

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
LS7....anyone care for an extra helping of dropped valves?
It always helps to KNOW whats been done and when.

Read the after-mentioned article on the LS7, by Hib Halverson.
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.co...r-the-mystique-of-the-c6-corvette-ls7-engine/
Be aware the the Camaro Z/28 LS7 had no issues due to those process changes as Chevy addressed them, as Hib explains.. In my Z06 I had the heads milled for stud mounted roller rockers, along with F1 technology valve guides..at an extra cost of $2800, thus eliminating any side loading of the valve stems. Side loading of the stem..forcing contact with the guide..ever so slight is what causes that issue >concentricity of the valve stem to the valve guide. Pages 18 to 22 talk of the changes made by Chevy to the the later LS7's released as crate engines and Z/28 mills.

Love to see you two get together for track session...sigh...probably never happen. My money on the Honey. Betting his game is stronger than yours. Thatā€™s all.
My wife got tired of the $3K yearly cost, and we came to the happy medium., I go watch most of the time now. Replacing carbon ceramic rotors is no fun.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Landsteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Corvette
If anything, this has been a great troll by the OP.
I am the OP, not sure why you would think I am a ā€œtrollā€.
I was just asking forum members their experience with both cars.
The car I found which I was considering trading for got sold before I could make up my mind. It had a $6k discount, surprised it didnā€™t sell faster.
I just keep the Z06 for a while longer.
9CAD202C-2A10-4D2F-BAA9-153C67E9C2FD.png

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I am the OP, not sure why you would think I am a ā€œtrollā€.
I was just asking forum members their experience with both cars.
The car I found which I was considering trading for got sold before I could make up my mind. It had a $6k discount, surprised it didnā€™t sell faster.
I just keep the Z06 for a while longer.
9CAD202C-2A10-4D2F-BAA9-153C67E9C2FD.png
You were thinking of trading an optioned out $100k + Yellow Z convertible with comp seats for that? Lol. It's not even an R and on the opposite end of the flashy color spectrum? Keep the old man car. Troll us on a R you found a good deal on next time. Or get a C8 ME or a GT500.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
You were thinking of trading an optioned out $100k + Yellow Z convertible with comp seats for that? Lol. It's not even an R and on the opposite end of the flashy color spectrum? Keep the old man car. Troll us on a R you found a good deal on next time. Or get a C8 ME or a GT500.
You don't wear jealousy well.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
You don't wear jealousy well.
Huh? I'm no where near jealous. If I wanted a Z I'd have bought a Z. There's still new MY17's at the dealer near me. I gotta frickin R dude. It's the best all around car I've owned. I can drive a Z anytime I want. I can see at least 4 Z's in any given day around here. Yet to see another R... Love my ride.

Sponsored

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar

Z28 and GT350

Great video... Enjoy!

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Huh? I'm no where near jealous. If I wanted a Z I'd have bought a Z. There's still new MY17's at the dealer near me. I gotta frickin R dude. It's the best all around car I've owned. I can drive a Z anytime I want. I can see at least 4 Z's in any given day around here. Yet to see another R... Love my ride.
You should live in Boca Raton. Down here a GT 350 is a Mustang. And ZO6s are rental cars.....

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
I have a fully loaded yellow 2016 Corvette Z06 (automatic) 5,700 miles with the Z07 package and every option.
Considering trading it in for a new 2018 black GT350 with electronic package, I will receive about $10k back to me.
Anyone here had both cars, and care to comment?
Is this a downgrade? The MSRP on the Corvette was $115k, that thing depreciated at an rapid rate. (should level off at this point)
Never drove and rode in a GT350, I owned a 2011 GT500 and a 2013 GT500 before.
0zKM4XQTTMuD4IWoC4aSXQ.jpg
PeaVG3p5T0eEJzdNk%r6nw.jpg
I am not so sure about that...I just bought a 17 C7 z51 about 3 weeks ago. My previous car was a 15 GT performance pack ,slightly modded. I sold it last April and my plan was to save 1k each month for a year or 2 and then get a 2020 GT500 second hand. I know I-just know ...I know one of the guys who already placed a deposit on one will put about 500 miles on it and then will sell it right away..just like the GT350 and the previous GT500. And my plan was to be there with cash and a credit union check in hand.

Now back to your original questions.

• These two cars are worlds apart as far as performance,style and tech and curb appeal.

• Now granted I donā€™t have the supercharger but with your z06 you are getting money back on the trade ..has to be a reason for that...the engine and supercharger perhaps? The tech?

I love ford mustangs and have owned several and was very close to getting a 17 gt350 from carmax only 2 or 3 k on the odo..truth is I really want a GT500 2020 but I can already see the hype, the allocation issues and the stupid ADM..just like on the GT350.

My opinion..wait for the new GT500 or sell your Z06 outright if you are done with her ..but trading down? Even for 10 grand extra I donā€™t believe you would be satisfied with The GT350.

By the bye I test drove a 17 GT350 just before I dropped the cash on the Vette and I really wanted to drive it home but then I thought wow it looks like my 15 GT..drives better, but still the same body and it costs 2x as much as a new 15 base GT. I wanted to go up a notch hence the 17 ā€˜ C7.

I am still torn between each brand /model but it was time to move to a different class of sports car..Are you listening Ford..I hope you hit a home run on the GT500 to bring ā€œDelgadoā€ back to the brand.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
This all comes down to your hairline. If u are balding you must keep the Z06. Full head of hair, get the GT350R.
No nice ..but funny..damn Iā€™ve been bald since I was 23 and have driven mustangs the whole time..whatā€™ve I been doing? Lol

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I am not so sure about that...I just bought a 17 C7 z51 about 3 weeks ago. My previous car was a 15 GT performance pack ,slightly modded. I sold it last April and my plan was to save 1k each month for a year or 2 and then get a 2020 GT500 second hand. I know I-just know ...I know one of the guys who already placed a deposit on one will put about 500 miles on it and then will sell it right away..just like the GT350 and the previous GT500. And my plan was to be there with cash and a credit union check in hand.

Now back to your original questions.

• These two cars are worlds apart as far as performance,style and tech and curb appeal.

• Now granted I donā€™t have the supercharger but with your z06 you are getting money back on the trade ..has to be a reason for that...the engine and supercharger perhaps? The tech?

I love ford mustangs and have owned several and was very close to getting a 17 gt350 from carmax only 2 or 3 k on the odo..truth is I really want a GT500 2020 but I can already see the hype, the allocation issues and the stupid ADM..just like on the GT350.

My opinion..wait for the new GT500 or sell your Z06 outright if you are done with her ..but trading down? Even for 10 grand extra I donā€™t believe you would be satisfied with The GT350.

By the bye I test drove a 17 GT350 just before I dropped the cash on the Vette and I really wanted to drive it home but then I thought wow it looks like my 15 GT..drives better, but still the same body and it costs 2x as much as a new 15 base GT. I wanted to go up a notch hence the 17 ā€˜ C7.

I am still torn between each brand /model but it was time to move to a different class of sports car..Are you listening Ford..I hope you hit a home run on the GT500 to bring ā€œDelgadoā€ back to the brand.
Im not an american car guy but the GT350 looks nothing like the base mustang.
Sponsored