Sponsored

Traded in 15 Ecoboost Premium for 18 Audi S3

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
So after about 3.5 years in the mustang I traded it in last week for a new 2018 Audi S3. I had originally been set on getting an 18 mustang GT but decided to go with something that I could really drive 12 months a year as I live in the Northeast. I was able to get by with the Eco and snow tires but still stayed off the roads when it was really snowing.

Main reason for trading was concerned about ongoing reliability of the eco. It was on its second engine already, first died from eco boom at 27k. I was sitting at 67000 miles and just lost the 24 month warranty on my replaced engine. If something went wrong now it would be a big bill to foot. Also had a lot of little things going on with the car. The backup camera worked sometimes, but not always, a lot of creaking in the cabin and suspension, I was getting to the point where I would need new front brakes, new tires, new filters, new plugs etc.

I really enjoyed my time with the car. So far here is how I feel about the 2.

For the Eco:
1. Exterior looks - Love the look of the S550.
2. Modding - Something about a mustang means you need to make it your own, I did all sorts of things to the car, first time I have really modded a car before and it was a blast to make it my own.
3. community - this place is better than any audi forum i can find.

For the Audi.
1. Love the interior - much more refined and quality materials
2. Handling - the magneride is great, car is crisp but also not as harsh as the mustang was. Also have the ability to change all the settings on the fly based on conditions. Would have had the same feature in an 18 mustang.
3. Power. I cant believe an engine that on paper is a tad bit below the ecoboost, 310 vs 295, is sooo much faster. This thing pulls like crazy and is so smooth. feels much more refined than the ecoboost.
4. Sound. Both are 4Ts but the S3 with the factory res delete sounds pretty good actually. Nothing like the GT V8 would have, but I dont really need a loud V8. This is fine for me.
5. Virtual cockpit. This thing is great and has some nice customization options. Also have car play. Again things I could have gotten in an 18 GT but like nothing I had in the 15. Big improvement.

Overall I think the S3 is a much better DD and with my long commute and new england weather I think its a better overall fit. Loved my time in the mustang and maybe will be back someday but for now I look forward to getting to know the S3.

40469600404_9d3b91fefc_c.jpg

41137857772_cc59b7ba8d_c.jpg

40286550415_f5c24efc4a_c.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: A7X

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Congrats!! It sure will be a step up!
Why did your first engine blow up? Had an aggressive tune?

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why did your first engine blow up? Had an aggressive tune?
Thanks! It was tuned for a short time, dont think it was aggressive, was tune+ base tune. Who knows if thats why as stock ecos have also had issues.

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man looking at that 2nd picture I need to do something about that wheel gap, lol.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Nice car! If you think s3 is fast, you should test drive an rs3! A buddy of mine has it and the car feels ridiculously fast for a 400 hp!

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Nice car! If you think s3 is fast, you should test drive an rs3! A buddy of mine has it and the car feels ridiculously fast for a 400 hp!
I was going to say......should have got the RS3 instead. I'd order a base for $55K. Probably less than $5K more than your S3 (as equipped). But I'm not into options much.

Last edited:

Axiom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack
Congrats on the new ride...now go get an APR tune....

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I was going to say......should have got the RS3 instead. I'd order a base for $55K. Probably less than $5K more than your S3 (as equipped). But I'm not into options much.
You can usually find some good discounts off MSRP on an S3 though or better lease deals. With an APR tune and some bolt ons the performance gap is prbably not much.

That said, you gotta becareful tuning an Audi and watch out for TD1. I would probably go with a JB4.

OP, where are you in CT? I am near the Hartford area and drive a 17 Focus RS.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
There is a video of a stage 1 APR tuned RS3 otherwise stock running 10’s with 3.5 s to 0-60 mph! Ridiculous!

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can usually find some good discounts off MSRP on an S3 though or better lease deals.
I worked a pretty good deal and got the price from 51,800 to 44,900. They had an RS3 with 4000 miles on it and still wanted over MSRP at 63k. Out of my range. Once the warranty is up I will be getting a tune, they seem to really put up good numbers with a tune. I am fine for now with the stock performance.

I will be doing a couple things though, getting the paint coated Sunday, window tinting on Saturday, ordered some spacers for the stock wheels, new wheels probably later on in the summer once I figure out what I want. Also looking at springs and maybe rear sways. That will be it for now and then once warranty is up with start playing with the engine. First morning I drove it to work and I do miss my remote starter from my mustang. Drives me nuts there is no option for the Audis.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
ordered some spacers for the stock wheels, new wheels probably later on in the summer once I figure out what I want.
Those stock rims look awesome. Couldn't imagine spending $ to replace them.

OP
OP

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those stock rims look awesome. Couldn't imagine spending $ to replace them.
Id rather have a dark gunmetal or black wheel. I don't like lighter grey/silver with a grey car. Plus I'd rather have a proper offset for flush look without spacers.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I worked a pretty good deal and got the price from 51,800 to 44,900. They had an RS3 with 4000 miles on it and still wanted over MSRP at 63k. Out of my range. Once the warranty is up I will be getting a tune, they seem to really put up good numbers with a tune. I am fine for now with the stock performance.

I will be doing a couple things though, getting the paint coated Sunday, window tinting on Saturday, ordered some spacers for the stock wheels, new wheels probably later on in the summer once I figure out what I want. Also looking at springs and maybe rear sways. That will be it for now and then once warranty is up with start playing with the engine. First morning I drove it to work and I do miss my remote starter from my mustang. Drives me nuts there is no option for the Audis.
Killer deal. Congrats!
I’m partial to Audi’s myself.

MechWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red, FB, 3.7L, 051A, MANUAL !!
I like those wheels, I'd keep them. Nice ride , love the red seats too !!

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Nice upgrade, i’m also looking at the s3 for my follow up but holding out for a few years... heard the 19 MY is supposed to be slightly larger with more rear seat legroom and that they may have a liftback option as well.
Sponsored