Sponsored

Track Time Limited due to High CHT

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I have to believe the engineers know this. But sealing takes design time and adds to production costs, so I get it.
This part is really frustrating, as my Elantra N, which costs half the price of M1, has all the proper ducting around the intercooler and radiator, and requires zero cooling modifications to take track day beating.
Will certainly report back when I have my "final" track proven data and if Knockdown and I can meet-up at the track and are able to share some data.
Looking forward to it, your contributions to this thread are real gold.
Sponsored

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 A10, 1967 Fastback 460ci+
This part is really frustrating, as my Elantra N, which costs half the price of M1, has all the proper ducting around the intercooler and radiator, and requires zero cooling modifications to take track day beating.

Yup, can be frustrating. It's not hard for the OEMs to do, but they have to sacrifice a few bucks to do it. This OEM ... seems unwilling. And thanks for the kind words 👍.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M

Managing heat from 275 HP and managing heat from 500 HP are not the same magnitude tasks.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Managing heat from 275 HP and managing heat from 500 HP are not the same magnitude tasks.
Agreed, but Hyundai still has proper shroud around the radiators, there is a foam insert on bumper that completely covers crash bar gap
Screenshot_20230507_221020_YouTube.jpg

Ford could have built something similar, at least on track focused M1 version they could.

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My GT data shows that at around 242F CHT, the computer takes over in a more intrusive way (above and beyond pulling timing) ... by changing redline. The calculated oil temp is the limiter for the GT. Now I'm not sure what limits the M1 (oil temp, ECT/CHT, etc), but one of these days Knockdown and I will meet at the track and I will hand over my laptop for him to run a session so we can better understand what the M1 is doing. This assumes he will want to do that which I have not discussed w/ him.

Will certainly report back when I have my "final" track proven data and if Knockdown and I can meet-up at the track and are able to share some data. Thanks again for the input. Cheers.
I was on track last Friday at 64F ambient temps. Doing 15 minutes sessions or so. I seen temps up to 239F but my oil temps were never into yellow and my oil is showing some signs of overheating but it's still nice looking and not burning so that's good. I'm starting to get very concerned with this CHT temps though as now this is the limiting factor of the cars performance. I wonder if something like this mishimoto cooling kit could help:

https://www.mishimoto.eu/ford-mustang-v8-ultimate-bundle-2015-2017.html

As I think this sounds like everything I need to lower this temps without going to extremes like new hood and front grill.

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Hey guys I'd like to post an update after I finished my first HPDE in the GT. Again to restate this is a 2023, 4 pot brakes, 3.15 rear end, 10AT. The track I went to is the Atlanta Motorsports Park, which is a 2 mile, very technical course. Only one place to really open her up and i yeah a top speed of 112 on the main straight.

I had a few rules for myself. Don't exceed 225 CHT. Don't exceed 215 TOT. Shift at 6.5k rpms.

Good:

1.) The transmission never overheated. In fact, it never got above 201 degrees. I was very happy with this!

2.) The oil never overheated. I was on the upper end of the green but not touching the yellow.

3.) The performance pack wheels with MPS4S offered a lot of front end grip, only got sideways one time and that's because my tires heated to 40 PSI!

Bad:

1.) The CHT was annoying. During the morning sessions where the ambient was at 70 degrees and cloudy I held a steady 215 degrees. But during the afternoon sessions where the ambient was 79 and sunny I would slowly creep up to 223 and I'd have to let off and cool back down for a half lap. I would open up the hood after each session and it cooled off rather nicely each time.

2.) The 4 pot brakes got hot. I never boiled the fluid or actually lost any braking power but I could smell them. I was definitely riding the edge of their capability and was my biggest limiting factor. At the end of the main straight I was nervous to threshold brake as I was not confident in them. I feel like you could definitely do several rounds of that and be fine, but they weren't confidence inspiring, so I'll likely be buying some track pads and dedicated rotors.

Okay:

1.) The suspension was definitely floaty. On a mountain road or even autocross the suspension is great but carrying all that weight with that much speed on a track you notice it real quick.

Last thoughts:

I was probably going 7-8/10ths most of the day. I ended up getting moved to Blue group after my second session (wanted the instruction so I can get good at this track). I feel like my first upgrade will be dedicated track pads and rotors. Then, a strut and cowl brace and maybe a set of the track pack coilovers. I feel like my cooling was overall pretty good and with better brakes and better suspension I'll be able to carry more speed into the turns so I don't have to rely on my engine to get me back up to speed, increasing heat.

This is also never going to be a full track car. It is my daily driver and I will never drive it flat out. As always the goal of the day is to come home with a functioning car and body!

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was on track last Friday at 64F ambient temps. Doing 15 minutes sessions or so. I seen temps up to 239F but my oil temps were never into yellow and my oil is showing some signs of overheating but it's still nice looking and not burning so that's good. I'm starting to get very concerned with this CHT temps though as now this is the limiting factor of the cars performance. I wonder if something like this mishimoto cooling kit could help:

https://www.mishimoto.eu/ford-mustang-v8-ultimate-bundle-2015-2017.html

As I think this sounds like everything I need to lower this temps without going to extremes like new hood and front grill.
That looks like a nice kit. However as mentioned in the older posts, I would suggest that you work on sealing as your next step vs. replacing parts. If you go back and spot your data point on the cooling curve I posted, you will see that you are well above (hotter) than my 50% sealing curve. Hence you won't be able to run at much hotter ambients unless you back off the throttle or accepted the lower redline behavior.

The sealing can be done in 2 stages ... w/o removing the grill and w/ removing. You can get about 50-60% of the sealing w/o removing the grill. So maybe you want to start there. Takes 6-8 hrs and maybe $50 depending on what method you use. But if you look at the curve, you will need to have full sealing if you want to run hard at 85-87F ambient. Or 50% sealed and incorporating an isolated oil-air cooler.

As mentioned previously, I couldn't get there with sealing alone. Need the bigger grill. However based on your data, you can get there w/o the grill mod ... since you are at lower ambient temps. Good luck.

OP
OP

67Fast_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys I'd like to post an update after I finished my first HPDE in the GT. Again to restate this is a 2023, 4 pot brakes, 3.15 rear end, 10AT. The track I went to is the Atlanta Motorsports Park, which is a 2 mile, very technical course. Only one place to really open her up and i yeah a top speed of 112 on the main straight.

I had a few rules for myself. Don't exceed 225 CHT. Don't exceed 215 TOT. Shift at 6.5k rpms.

Good:

1.) The transmission never overheated. In fact, it never got above 201 degrees. I was very happy with this!

2.) The oil never overheated. I was on the upper end of the green but not touching the yellow.

3.) The performance pack wheels with MPS4S offered a lot of front end grip, only got sideways one time and that's because my tires heated to 40 PSI!

Bad:

1.) The CHT was annoying. During the morning sessions where the ambient was at 70 degrees and cloudy I held a steady 215 degrees. But during the afternoon sessions where the ambient was 79 and sunny I would slowly creep up to 223 and I'd have to let off and cool back down for a half lap. I would open up the hood after each session and it cooled off rather nicely each time.

2.) The 4 pot brakes got hot. I never boiled the fluid or actually lost any braking power but I could smell them. I was definitely riding the edge of their capability and was my biggest limiting factor. At the end of the main straight I was nervous to threshold brake as I was not confident in them. I feel like you could definitely do several rounds of that and be fine, but they weren't confidence inspiring, so I'll likely be buying some track pads and dedicated rotors.

Okay:

1.) The suspension was definitely floaty. On a mountain road or even autocross the suspension is great but carrying all that weight with that much speed on a track you notice it real quick.

Last thoughts:

I was probably going 7-8/10ths most of the day. I ended up getting moved to Blue group after my second session (wanted the instruction so I can get good at this track). I feel like my first upgrade will be dedicated track pads and rotors. Then, a strut and cowl brace and maybe a set of the track pack coilovers. I feel like my cooling was overall pretty good and with better brakes and better suspension I'll be able to carry more speed into the turns so I don't have to rely on my engine to get me back up to speed, increasing heat.

This is also never going to be a full track car. It is my daily driver and I will never drive it flat out. As always the goal of the day is to come home with a functioning car and body!
As you step it up, you will blow past 225F CHT. So be ready. Personally, 225F is no problem. I would suggest 240F as a functional track limit. Which you will also blow past as you get use to the car and hammer it. Because the cooling is so bad stock, the temp will climb very fast that it's difficult to monitor precisely while on track.

For example, I have seen 8-10F increase in CHT going down a long straight 55-139 mph w/ 50% sealed. Did this on lap 2 and at the end of the straight was sitting at 240F. Reduced the data after the session (and saw the climb) but I did glance at the temp mid way on the straight and saw it at 235F ish. Knew I was in trouble at that point and of course backed off for lap 3. Functionally that was the end of my session. Just something to think about. Cheers.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
As you step it up, you will blow past 225F CHT. So be ready. Personally, 225F is no problem. I would suggest 240F as a functional track limit. Which you will also blow past as you get use to the car and hammer it. Because the cooling is so bad stock, the temp will climb very fast that it's difficult to monitor precisely while on track.

For example, I have seen 8-10F increase in CHT going down a long straight 55-139 mph w/ 50% sealed. Did this on lap 2 and at the end of the straight was sitting at 240F. Reduced the data after the session (and saw the climb) but I did glance at the temp mid way on the straight and saw it at 235F ish. Knew I was in trouble at that point and of course backed off for lap 3. Functionally that was the end of my session. Just something to think about. Cheers.
As this is my daily and I want it to last a long time I’ll most likely be staying close to the 225. But honestly my biggest limiting factor was the brakes. I could have been braking so much later if I was confident they’d hold up. A good set of slicks would be nice. But I think I’m just spoiled from racing spec miata and taking turns faster, lol! Definitely looking into larger radiator and sealing as well. Thanks!!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Update:

This is what he said!

"That's somewhat of a loaded question. The coyote's fan initiates between 212-215 degrees CHT. This is by no means an indicator of what the normal operating temperature is. Depending on where you live, the nature by which you drive, or a slew of other factors, there isn't a standard operating temperature. Also, we tend to avoid using terms such as normal operating temperature in the industry as normal is such a wide term. Some may say normal is anything that's not damaging your car. Others say normal is daily driving your car to work and back. Use that information as you will."

"If you're hitting ~240 degrees CHT the coyote will pull your power to preserve the engine. If you hit that then you really need to slow down. Unfortunately the GT, PP or otherwise, was not meant to be a track car, so if you bring it to the track and drive it hard, don't be surprised if you activate limp mode. We were aware of the GT's ability or lack thereof to track well. Which is why we developed the M1. If you want a track ready mustang out of the box, go buy an M1 or a Shelby."

"I can't comment as to what's a safe range for the coyote, especially if there are any modifications. ~270 degree CHT is where you will start to lose gaskets and deform head studs, if you don't burn your oil first. ~250 degree is where limp mode comes into question, assuming no other failures occur. I would highly recommend avoiding these temperatures."

"Generally the road going versions of engines typically can run "hotter" as the internal parts allow for more fluctuation in tolerances with regard to heat and cooling cycles. The race engines are highly sensitive to heat differences, hence why the are preheated and cooled before and after the races. I can't speak to the design and function of the race engines, but I can guess the "lower" operating temperature is related to keeping the tolerances correct."

Hope the helps you all!
Good info, but not entirely correct. The low speed fan comes on at 212-215f coolant temp, not CHT. Coolant temp is typically 8-10f under cht. So basically, you get no fan until somewhere around 220cht. And more amusingly, if your car has shutters they won't fully open until then either. Unless you're flooring it of course. Full speed fan comes on at 223f coolant temp.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
What I learned from this thread is that everything works well when it works as a system. How much air comes in, how well it's channeled and how efficient is the extraction are all very important aspects. Bigger rads won't help much if all the air goes around them and then gets trapped inside super hot engine bay. Basically listen to @67Fast_V 😄 , do the sealing first. If you decide to open up the grille, I would serieously think about the louvers lo address the lift and hood potentially flying away. You have PP1 rad, correct?

The low speed fan comes on at 212-215f coolant temp, not CHT.
My fan kicks in at 215f CHT, I'm pretty sure about that.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
What I learned from this thread is that everything works well when it works as a system. How much air comes in, how well it's channeled and how efficient is the extraction are all very important aspects. Bigger rads won't help much if all the air goes around them and then gets trapped inside super hot engine bay. Basically listen to @67Fast_V 😄 , do the sealing first. If you decide to open up the grille, I would serieously think about the louvers lo address the lift and hood potentially flying away. You have PP1 rad, correct?

My fan kicks in at 215f CHT, I'm pretty sure about that.
Weird. Must be car/tune dependent. PP car? I mean at idle it's true, but if you're moving it kicks on later

Last edited:

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Weird. Must be car/tune dependent. PP car? I mean at idle it's true, but if you're moving it kicks on later
That information was from the Ford engineer that was in charge of the team that designed the coyote. No offense to you what so ever, but I'm going off what he told me. :like: And honestly when I'm driving I can't even hear the fan come on with the tires I have and the roads I drive on lol!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That information was from the Ford engineer that was in charge of the team that designed the coyote. No offense to you what so ever, but I'm going off what he told me. :like: And honestly when I'm driving I can't even hear the fan come on with the tires I have and the roads I drive on lol!
I mean I suppose I don't blame you, I'm just some random person from the internet. But unless my car is special, the data I've logged shows when the fan actually comes on. In the context of track usage, it won't come on until later. If we're talking about sitting there at idle, then yes, 215-216CHT seems to be when it likes to come on. But there's a different strategy when you're moving. Above 45-50mph, and the fan doesn't even run with the A/C on. The car depends on active airflow instead of the fan unless it reaches those threshold coolant temps I mentioned.

So it's not so much that I'm saying the head engineer is wrong, just that what I've observed suggests there's more information to be had on how the system works.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Above 45-50mph, and the fan doesn't even run with the A/C on.
I was under the impression the A/C requires the fan to operate? Whenever I turn the A/C on I instantly see the CHT lower to about 196 or lower.
Sponsored

Last edited: