Sponsored

Track Time Limited due to High CHT

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I'm ready to take the deep-dive into making my S550 PP2 into a sustainable HPDE 20-25 min car.
Unfortunately installed the Mishimoto oil cooler before I did significant research, so I am going to try and work with that.
I've installed it in the "recommended" mounting place that covers 85 to 90% of the top grill opening. How much will that inhibit the rest of my cooling (after boxing/ducting)?
Everyone keeps telling me "just take it to the track and see what you have". i understand the wisdom of that so you are addressing YOUR issues and not some guy's in the internet.
But, given the amount of "situation specific" work required for "Boxing/ducting" the radiator space between the radiator(s) and fascia, I'd really like to get other issues sorted out before I start the boxing/ducting process.
That being said, @GTP placed his long/rectangular oil cooler horizontal, which seems to be a really great idea. (and his resuts were very good) The Mishi oil cooler looks to be a similar shape and would be able to fit in the same orientation. The Mishi-provided hoses look like they will accommodate this move as the distance to the sandwich plate is likely shorter when the cooler is move lower. (haven't confirmed that yet).
Other 2 options are, leave it where it is or Move it to the lower opening in the vertical orientation.
As you all know, the "safest" solution is ALWAYS the most involved/tedious/difficult/expensive.
To me it seems at a minimum I should move it to the lower (smaller) opening (vertical) leaving the larger upper opening to the stock coolers.
I'm interested in others input as to which route you'd take before boxing/ ducting efforts begin.
As a reference point:
My engine is stock, at best I'll run an e85 tune at some point but that is WAY out in the future. For what its worth, I'm probably a 8/10 to 9/10 driver with 10 years experience running in intermediate and advanced HPDE groups. I've opted out of 11" square set by up purchasing a 10"/11" set of BC forged wheels with Proxy 888R's 285/305. 295/305 F1's and 305 square on my stock PP2 wheels are likely next round of tires. I hope this gives a good picture of what I am trying to accomplish. Perhaps none of these details make any difference in where I place my oil cooler.
I'm trying to hit a home run in my first at bat! I know that's not likely but there is so much real-world experience out there I' hope to get close!
Thanks to everyone for all the great input on this issue!
Just out of curiosity, what lap times do you do at WGI? Just want to get an idea on how much you'll be pushing the car.
Sponsored

Bossdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I don't know, I had a 2005 STi and a 2001 Z06 to WGI, don't have lap times for either. I haven't had this S550 PP2 on any track yet. I'm almost always middle pack, regardless of car or track in the intermediate group and some clubs, advanced.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
So your theory is that there is a low pressure zone under the car that is "sucking " air through your horizontal cooler?

I didn't recall you hadn't boxed the radiator or vented your hood yet.
I figure there is high pressure above the oil cooler and the rushing air below the cooler is relatively lower pressure.

I plan to develop some simple aluminum air blockers for the open corner areas.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know, I had a 2005 STi and a 2001 Z06 to WGI, don't have lap times for either. I haven't had this S550 PP2 on any track yet. I'm almost always middle pack, regardless of car or track in the intermediate group and some clubs, advanced.
Take it to a track and see CHT temps before solving problems that you might not have yet.
Sponsored