XLR8EDMUSTANG

XLR8EDMUSTANG on Twitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, OW, PP, RECAROS
For those that asked, here are 2 of the wheels and tires that I had a pic of on my phone. I will try and post more later today..possibly mounted up
cf5&hoosiers.JPG

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Is the only reason people go for 18 over 19 due to tire availability and price?

I ask because I changed out my PP wheels for 19x8.5 and 19x10 MMD Zeven wheels (wasn't a fan of the SVE drifts at the time). Unfortunately I bought my tires (Continental DWS-06's) prior to picking up the car in Feb and knowing I'd be driving in 20 degree weather.

Next year I'll be needing tires, I'm sure so I'm trying to decide if I want to just get 2 more 19x10 Zeven wheels (26lbs without tires) and invest in some 19" tires or scrub around for some 18's that will fit plus tires.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

I ask because I changed out my PP wheels for 19x8.5 and 19x10 MMD Zeven wheels (wasn't a fan of the SVE drifts at the time). Unfortunately I bought my tires (Continental DWS-06's) prior to picking up the car in Feb and knowing I'd be driving in 20 degree weather.

Next year I'll be needing tires, I'm sure so I'm trying to decide if I want to just get 2 more 19x10 Zeven wheels (26lbs without tires) and invest in some 19" tires or scrub around for some 18's that will fit plus tires.

Any thoughts?
Boils down to weight, class allowances/restrictions and costs. Depends on what you want to do. If you want to track your car I'd pick a wheel based on the tire and size you want to use. Go square (same size and offset for all wheels) so that you can rotate.

Sponsored

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
For track use: more 18' tire options, cheaper tires (vs 19s), lighter weight (assuming same model wheels 18 vs 19s), gearing often times smaller OD tires. Check out Vorshlag's blog on their s197 journey. They tested lots of different set-ups on the car including wheels and tires. For track, I'd suggest staying with tried and true brands. Keep in mind, dropping rotational weight is very noticeable.

Above is my experience on s197. For S550 basic principles still applies but those w/6-pt Brembos, fitment might become the primary factor in deciding 18s vs 19s.

Edit: assuming you're talking about track days, school, HPDE, AX etc and not running in a class. If running class, then following class rules become your overriding factor.

Any thoughts?

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Here's what I'm using. HRE Classic 300's with Brushed Copper Center and Brushed Clear lip in 18x11.5 and 18x12.5 with Toyo R888's - 305/35/18 and 335/30/18:

30514956831_55db5a9679_b.jpg

Not for a S550 though, it's for my S197.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fcuking badass! Sorry for my french but wow bcos wheels. :headbang:

Didn't know 11.5s and 12.5s can fit s197. What mods to fenders and struts/camber?

Here's what I'm using. HRE Classic 300's with Brushed Copper Center and Brushed Clear lip in 18x11.5 and 18x12.5 with Toyo R888's - 305/35/18 and 335/30/18:

30514956831_55db5a9679_b.jpg

Not for a S550 though, it's for my S197.

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Fcuking badass! Sorry for my french but wow bcos wheels. :headbang:

Didn't know 11.5s and 12.5s can fit s197. What mods to fenders and struts/camber?
APR Widebody kit :)
Roughly 4" wider than a standard S197.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
For track use: more 18' tire options, cheaper tires (vs 19s), lighter weight (assuming same model wheels 18 vs 19s), gearing often times smaller OD tires. Check out Vorshlag's blog on their s197 journey. They tested lots of different set-ups on the car including wheels and tires. For track, I'd suggest staying with tried and true brands. Keep in mind, dropping rotational weight is very noticeable.

Above is my experience on s197. For S550 basic principles still applies but those w/6-pt Brembos, fitment might become the primary factor in deciding 18s vs 19s.

Edit: assuming you're talking about track days, school, HPDE, AX etc and not running in a class. If running class, then following class rules become your overriding factor.
No classes. I'm not that good yet. Just started back into HPDE's and I know I'm going to need tires next year so I'd like to prep the car as much as possible and I don't have the funds for 2 new sets of wheels and tires (even if I stay with 19's, I'll need 2 19x10 for the front). So I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

Sponsored

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If budget is an issue, just run stock wheel w/ nice sticky street tires with solid track performance. RE11s are great for dual purpose, DIIs, Rival are prob top street tires for track use. Newer stuff like RE71Rs, Rival S's are much improved but street wear was the compromise. And suck on wet roads.

No classes. I'm not that good yet. Just started back into HPDE's and I know I'm going to need tires next year so I'd like to prep the car as much as possible and I don't have the funds for 2 new sets of wheels and tires (even if I stay with 19's, I'll need 2 19x10 for the front). So I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
If budget is an issue, just run stock wheel w/ nice sticky street tires with solid track performance. RE11s are great for dual purpose, DIIs, Rival are prob top street tires for track use. Newer stuff like RE71Rs, Rival S's are much improved but street wear was the compromise. And suck on wet roads.
^this
RE71R or NT01 on stock wheels are best bang for buck.

Ask instructors, but you might hear that if you are going to learn car control, including how to approach limits and recover from exceeding limits; you might want to set the limits some where below insane to start. You can learn a TON on a wet pad or wet track with stock tires inflated to 40 psi cold (artificially small contact patch and lower grip).

The S550 chassis/suspension is extremely capable even stock. You might develop your skills faster if you can learn to Approach, exceed, recover at lower grip limits during your development.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
^this
RE71R or NT01 on stock wheels are best bang for buck.

Ask instructors, but you might hear that if you are going to learn car control, including how to approach limits and recover from exceeding limits; you might want to set the limits some where below insane to start. You can learn a TON on a wet pad or wet track with stock tires inflated to 40 psi cold (artificially small contact patch and lower grip).

The S550 chassis/suspension is extremely capable even stock. You might develop your skills faster if you can learn to Approach, exceed, recover at lower grip limits during your development.
Yeah, i think upping for 18's at this point is a moot point because i wasn't pushing my dws06's to their limit on my track weekend in Sept. It was my first time on track in 8 years though. Ibwill square the setup with 19x10 then go with decent summer performance tires to learn more car control. When the tires become my limiting factor, i will upgrade.

Last edited:

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
Instructors in my club give that advice regularly! It makes good sense - and it's cheaper!

<TED>

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Instructors in my club give that advice regularly! It makes good sense - and it's cheaper!

<TED>
Which advice?
Sponsored