Track Pack Carbon Wheel torque specs

NEUMAN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP,2016 JK Rubicon, 2012 Ducati Panagale, 2016 E250 BTEC
Any Track Pack owners know if the lug torque specs for the carbon fiber wheels are any different. I am having wheels off ceramic coating done and wanted to checkin before I do anything.

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Any Track Pack owners know if the lug torque specs for the carbon fiber wheels are any different. I am having wheels off ceramic coating done and wanted to checkin before I do anything.
upload_2020-8-22_18-44-3.png

Edited to attach full owners manual supplement.

Attachments

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
From the 2020 Mustang Service Manual

Ford Recommends The Following For Vehicles With Carbon Fiber And Alloy Wheels:

Tire Changer:
Ford requires center clamp style tire changers such as Hunter® Auto 34, Revolution, TC3900 or equivalent. Anything else, especially table top style machines, are highly likely to damage the wheel which is not warrantable. Do not use table top design machines that grab onto the inside of the wheel and that ride on the front wheel flange to remove the tire. Wheel damage will occur.

Tire Balancer:
Ford requires the use of wheel balancers that do not contact the wheel face such as, Hunter® Road Force Touch GSP9700. Do not use machines that contact the wheel face. Wheel damage will occur.

Alignment Machine:
Ford requires non-spade style alignment machines such as Hunter® Hawkeye Elite, or equivalent. Anything else is highly likely to damage the wheel which is not warrantable. Do not use machines that grab onto or contact the outside edge of the wheel. Wheel damage will occur.

NOTICE: Do not clean aluminum wheels with steel wool, abrasive-type cleaners or strong detergents or damage to the wheel finish may occur.

NOTICE: When removing balance weights from a wheel, use only industry standard tools. To remove clip-on style balance weights, use designated wheel weight removal pliers. For adhesive style balance weights, use designated adhesive weight removal pliers or a non-metal adhesive weight scraper tool. Never use a screwdriver or any other sharp metallic instrument to remove adhesive wheel weights. If needed, denatured alcohol may be used to assist in removing any adhesive residue from the wheel. Failure to follow these guidelines could result in damage to the wheel finish.

Factory-installed tires and wheels are designed to operate satisfactorily with loads up to and including full-rated load capacity when inflated to recommended inflation pressures.

Correct tire pressure and driving techniques have an important influence on tire life. Heavy cornering, excessively rapid acceleration and unnecessary sharp braking increase tire wear.

To equalize tire wear, the tires should be rotated at recommended intervals.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
From the 2020 Mustang Service Manual

Ford Recommends The Following For Vehicles With Carbon Fiber And Alloy Wheels:

Tire Changer:
Ford requires center clamp style tire changers such as Hunter® Auto 34, Revolution, TC3900 or equivalent. Anything else, especially table top style machines, are highly likely to damage the wheel which is not warrantable. Do not use table top design machines that grab onto the inside of the wheel and that ride on the front wheel flange to remove the tire. Wheel damage will occur.

Tire Balancer:
Ford requires the use of wheel balancers that do not contact the wheel face such as, Hunter® Road Force Touch GSP9700. Do not use machines that contact the wheel face. Wheel damage will occur.

Alignment Machine:
Ford requires non-spade style alignment machines such as Hunter® Hawkeye Elite, or equivalent. Anything else is highly likely to damage the wheel which is not warrantable. Do not use machines that grab onto or contact the outside edge of the wheel. Wheel damage will occur.

NOTICE: Do not clean aluminum wheels with steel wool, abrasive-type cleaners or strong detergents or damage to the wheel finish may occur.

NOTICE: When removing balance weights from a wheel, use only industry standard tools. To remove clip-on style balance weights, use designated wheel weight removal pliers. For adhesive style balance weights, use designated adhesive weight removal pliers or a non-metal adhesive weight scraper tool. Never use a screwdriver or any other sharp metallic instrument to remove adhesive wheel weights. If needed, denatured alcohol may be used to assist in removing any adhesive residue from the wheel. Failure to follow these guidelines could result in damage to the wheel finish.

Factory-installed tires and wheels are designed to operate satisfactorily with loads up to and including full-rated load capacity when inflated to recommended inflation pressures.

Correct tire pressure and driving techniques have an important influence on tire life. Heavy cornering, excessively rapid acceleration and unnecessary sharp braking increase tire wear.

To equalize tire wear, the tires should be rotated at recommended intervals.
Most importantly, you need to find a guy who you can trust, who will take his time with your wheels. Take care of that guy, if you dont, well, you were warned.

I had a bit of further damage to a CF wheel occur because I was having a tire dismounted so that I could ship the wheel off for repair. My normal guy was out and I was in a hurry. Well, not only did I get an additional gouge in the wheel, but the center cap went missing and the stem cap was gone.

Find the guy. Take care of him. You take a chance each time you turn your wheels in for service.

OP
OP
NEUMAN

NEUMAN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP,2016 JK Rubicon, 2012 Ducati Panagale, 2016 E250 BTEC
Most importantly, you need to find a guy who you can trust, who will take his time with your wheels. Take care of that guy, if you dont, well, you were warned.

I had a bit of further damage to a CF wheel occur because I was having a tire dismounted so that I could ship the wheel off for repair. My normal guy was out and I was in a hurry. Well, not only did I get an additional gouge in the wheel, but the center cap went missing and the stem cap was gone.

Find the guy. Take care of him. You take a chance each time you turn your wheels in for service.

great advice!

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I have the vertical style machine at my shop which is necessary for the centerlocks on my GT cars - different manufacturers have different setups with the vertical style. What to look for is in the pics below with a wheel from my GT350R.

Regardless of how good the machine is, it is ultimately dependent on how good the operator is. One can still damage a wheel if they don't know what they are doing, even though you can change a tire without touching the wheel with a machine such as this. Most balancers I see typically use a cone style locking mechanism, but not so much for the tire changing machine.

Also, it helps to write down the tire pressures and wheel torque specs on a piece of painters tape and stick it on the driver's side door jam - easy to reference when needed.

08DE0B3F-8105-49B4-816D-AC2772CD66B5_1_105_c.jpeg
FD080C6D-FA3D-4328-8990-DBD0D9181BF3_1_105_c.jpeg
45A3B961-2AE1-4E49-BAA0-30A57EE7ACDC_1_105_c.jpeg

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I have the vertical style machine at my shop which is necessary for the centerlocks on my GT cars - different manufacturers have different setups with the vertical style. What to look for is in the pics below with a wheel from my GT350R.

Regardless of how good the machine is, it is ultimately dependent on how good the operator is. One can still damage a wheel if they don't know what they are doing, even though you can change a tire without touching the wheel with a machine such as this. Most balancers I see typically use a cone style locking mechanism, but not so much for the tire changing machine.

Also, it helps to write down the tire pressures and wheel torque specs on a piece of painters tape and stick it on the driver's side door jam - easy to reference when needed.

Would it just be better to have our tires changed at a Porsche dealer? : )

Do most Ford dealers have the vertical style machine?

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500

That machine mounts and balances the tire?

What is the cost of that machine?

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I have the vertical style machine at my shop
Great post, triple M, and foolish me, I thought the vertical machines took the operator out of the equation, OBVIOUSLY that's not the case. I'm gonna save your photos on my phone for reference when I get around to talking to the guy I have in mind.

Many thanks.

Gary: Those are pretty amazing machines to watch operate but as Triple M so clearly stated (and now I know to,) find a shop where the operator knows the machine inside out.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Well said. Its all about the person doing the work.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Would it just be better to have our tires changed at a Porsche dealer? : )

Do most Ford dealers have the vertical style machine?
I would imagine most of them have this type of machine. Part of the reason why i purchased this machine is that the Ferrari and Porsche dealers in Europe use this particular one.

I do not know. That said, I have never seen a Ford dealer with one. I change the 19.5" tires on my F450 with this machine because the dealers will not touch it.

That machine mounts and balances the tire?

What is the cost of that machine?
Just changes tires. My balancer is to the left of the tire changer in the third pic. $25K

Last edited:

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
Just changes tires. My balancer is to the left of the tire changer in the third pic. $25K
Yeah that’s what I thought and have too get a balance machine.