Sponsored

Track Day Insurance - claims and payout experiences?

OP
OP
Egparson202

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Is liability something that is a concern at the track?

It could be. This coverage is for any damages you become responsible for. Examples include damages to the track, cleanup expenses or legal defense if you’re sued for your part in an incident.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I have been racing and open tracking for over 30 years, maybe 600+ Events and never bought insurance.
let’s say a minimum of $150/day X 600 = $90k
I got t-boned once at Laguna in T6. Cost me around $10k to fix
I understand completely people that want to have insurance, especially if it’s really the bank owning the car but i will always remember the first piece of advice that i got during my scca racing school: “ never take to the track a car you you are not willing or able, both financially and emotionally, to loose
I have followed this advice for the past 30 years
I spent way more money on blow engines, tranny,etc that i ever did on accident damages

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
if a vehicle is damaged (can be repaired) or wrecked (total loss) at an open track event, and the owner did elect to take the track insurance, which will cover XYZ based on the fine print and policy limitations - does that incident still get relayed back to any VIN reporting agency as an accident?

Usually with such an event (repairable damage or total loss) out in public daily driving, there’s usually a regular automotive insurance claim, which gets logged against the VIN.

I was just wondering how that works with a dual purpose (daily and track use) vehicle.

OP
OP
Egparson202

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if a vehicle is damaged (can be repaired) or wrecked (total loss) at an open track event, and the owner did elect to take the track insurance, which will cover XYZ based on the fine print and policy limitations - does that incident still get relayed back to any VIN reporting agency as an accident?

Usually with such an event (repairable damage or total loss) out in public daily driving, there’s usually a regular automotive insurance claim, which gets logged against the VIN.

I was just wondering how that works with a dual purpose (daily and track use) vehicle.

That’s a good question. Prolly reported in much the same way. But I’m not sure.

OP
OP
Egparson202

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE:

Sadly,I have learned the answer to this question for myself. Back in November I crashed the Shelby at VIR. I had an annual policy with Open Track insurance. They treated me very fairly and paid the claim without any real drama. Highly recommend Open Track.

COBRAFREAK1996

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Looking at this myself now. Lockton is considerably cheaper than Hagerty for the same TT event.
Sponsored