Sponsored

Track, conditions, or tire?

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
Went to the track a few weeks back and not happy with the results. I couldn't get under a 2.3x 60', car would not hook in first. The tires were spinning/slipping in 2nd and a few runs in 3rd, one run I had to completely lift as it started getting sideways in 3rd. The only time my tires have spun on the street is when it's colder out and tires are stone cold. The other weird thing was when I was heading home (about 45 mins away from the track) I gave it a test hit in first and it was like I was on ice. A few days later it was fine on the street again, I know they use PJ1 (formally VHT) on street nights, is it possibly the 4S tires don't mix well with traction compound? There was another car like mine there and he was having issues as well, I was consistently 2 tenths faster than him. I could cut 2.0's with my 87 GT on tires much worse than the 4S's. I been to the track before, just looking for some feedback.

Car is a 2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack 6-Speed
IAT's were around 120 before the run and about 85-90 after the run, air temp in the mid 80's (forget humidity).
Track elevation 122' above sea level, car weight with me in it 3970lbs.
Tire pressures were between 35 and 25 psi, tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.
Launches between 3k and 1500, tried no burnout to spinning them to clean them off but every time drove around the water box.

Best run was a 13.1@111, best trap was 13.3@112.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If your spinning 3rd at the drag strip with stock power. You were either way out of the groove. Or you hit oil. As far as the launch. Its harder to launch a manual. Takes alot of practice to get it right. You have to ride the clutch out. To get out of hole on street tires. What track did you run at? Atco has been real hit or miss. Since the new owners took over.

OP
OP
PUNISHER7772

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
If your spinning 3rd at the drag strip with stock power. You were either way out of the groove. Or you hit oil. As far as the launch. Its harder to launch a manual. Takes alot of practice to get it right. You have to ride the clutch out. To get out of hole on street tires. What track did you run at? Atco has been real hit or miss. Since the new owners took over.
Not out of the groove, something on the track did cross my mind. Left lane was worse than right lane. I get the launch but nothing worked (rpms, slipping clutch more, etc...), made 7 passes and nothing worked. Best 60' was 2.294, track was New England Dragway.

Worst was a 2.7 60' and was in the left lane where I had to back out completely out of 3rd.

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Not out of the groove, something on the track did cross my mind. Left lane was worse than right lane. I get the launch but nothing worked (rpms, slipping clutch more, etc...), made 7 passes and nothing worked. Best 60' was 2.294, track was New England Dragway.

Worst was a 2.7 60' and was in the left lane where I had to back out completely out of 3rd.
Different tires will help for you. When I was stock and ran at the track my best on the PS4's was a mid 13. I threw on a set of Mickey Thompson S/S and ran a 12.1 @ 117.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Track prep and conditions is your answer. There was crap on the track I bet. I ran easy 11’s w/ 1.94 60’ on ps4’s on the right lane and could barely pop mid 12’s on left lane due to poor prep and slick as hell 60’. It happens...

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Do Torsen diffs ever cause issues like this? The OP said that on the way home from the strip, he got on it in 1st and it was like being on ice. A few days later it was fine. Almost seems like the diff was not putting power to both rear tires for awhile.

By the way, I am always hearing about how great the Michelin PS4s are. I am sure they are great street tires in many respects. However, in watching PP Mustangs at my local tracks and chatting with their owners, I am no more impressed with them for straight line hooking than several less expensive alternatives.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the track had some issues. Was anyone else having issues? Next time lower your rear tires down to 28 psi to start and launch at idle, if you still spin try 26 psi. That will give you the best chance of not blowing the tires off and should get you 2.1 sixty. Also if your spinning bad on shifts, shift 500 rpms sooner. Remember spinning isn't winning! Good luck!

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Best run was a 13.1@111, best trap was 13.3@112.
Haha don't feel bad.. at my POS track especially for radial tires the best I could manage was a 13.01 @ 115 mph with a best 2.36 60ft.

OP
OP
PUNISHER7772

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
Do Torsen diffs ever cause issues like this? The OP said that on the way home from the strip, he got on it in 1st and it was like being on ice. A few days later it was fine. Almost seems like the diff was not putting power to both rear tires for awhile.

By the way, I am always hearing about how great the Michelin PS4s are. I am sure they are great street tires in many respects. However, in watching PP Mustangs at my local tracks and chatting with their owners, I am no more impressed with them for straight line hooking than several less expensive alternatives.
Honestly I was wondering if the traction compound was messing with the tires or something else was on the track. The tires have always been amazing on the street except that night and it was spinning both tires.

For others that mentioned anyone else having issues, I had two buddies there both on drag radials and they both were a lot slower than normal. One has a 2014 with FBO and the other has a 2013 S/C'd.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Honestly I was wondering if the traction compound was messing with the tires or something else was on the track. The tires have always been amazing on the street except that night and it was spinning both tires.

For others that mentioned anyone else having issues, I had two buddies there both on drag radials and they both were a lot slower than normal. One has a 2014 with FBO and the other has a 2013 S/C'd.
Did you pull around the water box and back up into it?

Did you pull out of the water box before spinning the tires over?

Spinning in third at the drag strip on stock power means something is definitely wrong. Has to be either water dripping out of wheel wells or junk on the track. You car shouldn’t spin in third on warm days on crappy public pavement.

It is also really easy to get out of the groove. First 5 times I ran I was mostly out of it. Only after a buddy showed me a video did I realize what I was doing. It was a 04 GT so it didn’t matter regardless.

OP
OP
PUNISHER7772

PUNISHER7772

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MUSTANG GT PP
Did you pull around the water box and back up into it?

Did you pull out of the water box before spinning the tires over?

Spinning in third at the drag strip on stock power means something is definitely wrong. Has to be either water dripping out of wheel wells or junk on the track. You car shouldn’t spin in third on warm days on crappy public pavement.

It is also really easy to get out of the groove. First 5 times I ran I was mostly out of it. Only after a buddy showed me a video did I realize what I was doing. It was a 04 GT so it didn’t matter regardless.
Around the waterbox every time, tried tire pressures from 32 down to 25 (1-2 psi drop at a time). I tried rolling up to the line, tried cleaning the tires off before rolling up to the line, nothing seemed to help. I was even short shifting to try and help calm it down. Just couldn't beleive I can go WOT in 1st on the street without spinning (except that night) and the track was a nightmare. I'll have to give it another shot I guess before they shut down for the year.
Sponsored