Sponsored

Track Brake Pads

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I should know better, but screw it.

You originally said you can't fade the OEM pads, but then corrected firestarter for stating that you can get the OEM setup to brake fade. So not sure where you are going. Have you run non-OEM pads on this car? They can perform quite a bit better and last longer. Do you need them? Nope. But are they preferred by some for the reasons listed above? Yup.

Needless to say, you can fade the OEM SETUP as many have. It is most likely due to driver habits (braking too long). An instructor is "usually" a talented enough driver to manage brake heat more effectively.
Where did I say firestarter faded his pads? (I pointed out he boiled his fluid).

Yes you can boil the OEM fluid, but put something decent in there and you will not fade the OEM pad. Apparently that's all they do in Utah and I guess they don't have issues fading the pad with everything with horrible students to good instructors beating on the 350s out there.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Where did I say firestarter faded his pads? (I pointed out he boiled his fluid).

Yes you can boil the OEM fluid, but put something decent in there and you will not fade the OEM pad. Apparently that's all they do in Utah and I guess they don't have issues fading the pad with everything with horrible students to good instructors beating on the 350s out there.
Oye. Let's try it one more time. I, nor you, said that firestarter faded his pads. Firestarter merely stated he had brake fade. Below

My friend who went to the track attack in Utah said they use stock pads on the GT350s out there and the instructors can't even fade the OEM pad.
I got them to fade instructors use less brakes then novices
You then started talking about pads specifically, but firestarter stated he wasn't calling out the pads specifically.

My friend who went to the track attack in Utah said they use stock pads on the GT350s out there and the instructors can't even fade the OEM pad.
I said the brakes faded I didn't specify what the source was. I also said the aftermarket pads last 2 to 3 times longer. And did they link you posted specify different for fluid?
Then there was the part I already posted where you said that you meant specifically the pad couldn't fade and firestarter said you implied the stock brake setup.

"Brake fade is caused by a buildup of heat in the braking surfaces and the subsequent changes and reactions in the brake system components and can be experienced with both drum brakes and disc brakes. Loss of stopping power, or fade, can be caused by friction fade, mechanical fade, or fluid fade."
A soft pedal isn't a PAD issue. You did not fade the PAD. :lol:
What does all this mean? Miscommunication. Firestarter was pointing out that you can get the OEM setup to fade (you were claiming that you can't). At the end of it, firestarter never claimed it was the pad that caused it.

Anyways, for shits I pushed the Track Attack brakes hard to see if I could get fade with the OEM pads AND the SRF. I did.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In case you didn't notice, this thread is about pads. I pointed out that firestarters long pedal was not a pad issue but a fluid issue.

If you can fade stock pads, you're quite talented :thumbsup:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
In case you didn't notice, this thread is about pads. I pointed out that firestarters long pedal was not a pad issue but a fluid issue.

If you can fade stock pads, you're quite talented :thumbsup:
You can spin it how you want....but you stated that you can't boil OEM pads and SRF fluid (making this not only a pad conversation), someone merely pointed out that you can.

Also, I wouldn't call boiling fluid a skill...but most likely novice braking technique as pointed out earlier.

And good pads can stop you from boiling fluid by changing your braking style. My more aggressive pads mean I'm on the brake less.....less brake time means less heat....

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Not a dumb question at all.

That seems expensive. LMR has them for a little over $200 for the fronts.
Yep, I think I bought pads for ~$300 total for all 4 corners.

FWIW, you may want to check out other track day organizations to run with. Mandating 50%+ brake pads to get on track is a little asinine, at least it seems that way.
Agree; I think it's reasonable to ask that you start the event with >50% pads, but not each session or day.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Av8orntn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Agree; I think it's reasonable to ask that you start the event with >50% pads, but not each session or day.
That's what they want. 50% or more to start an event here. If I remember correctly all they looked at was no floor mats, trunk empty, glove box empty, brake pads, and check the torque on lug nuts. I had fun so those are all small hoops to jump through in my opinion. Sometimes you've just got to do what has to be done.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
That's what they want. 50% or more to start an event here. If I remember correctly all they looked at was no floor mats, trunk empty, glove box empty, brake pads, and check the torque on lug nuts. I had fun so those are all small hoops to jump through in my opinion. Sometimes you've just got to do what has to be done.
So maybe you have to pull off a set of pads that has 30% left, throw on new ones for an event, and when the new ones are worn out, swap the 30% pads back on to run a few more sessions. Minor pain. I've also gone to events with organizations that have such a rule and just show them the new-in-box spare pads I have with me--then just swap them when needed.
Sponsored