crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, I just got some new OEM wheels with tires, TPMS is still installed. I was wondering if I need to purchase a tool to resync them to my car or if the TPMS will just sync up automatically.
I read that the frequency is the same for the S197 Brembo wheels, but I'm not sure if the fact that they're older will make a difference. Does anyone know if I should get the tool or just put them on and they'll work (haven't installed them yet).
Thanks
Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Although you are correct, in that the frequency is the same for the Ford Mustangs. It looks like they changed sensor part numbers over the years. Based on our data, the sensors that are compatible for your model year are 2014-preset. It looks like the S197 was 05-14. As long as the Mustang these came from was a 2014 model year it should work.

To answer your other question, as long as the sensors are compatible with your vehicle, you will not need a programming tool. Set the tires to the correct PSI and take a 20 min drive and they should auto relearn. Unfortunately if they do not auto learn after a few days there is a good chance they are not compatible with your vehicle. If you would like confirmation you can have a shop scan them with a TPMS scan tool to double check.

If you would like to swing into any nearby Discount Tire store our guys would be happy to run a scan on them at no charge. If they do not sync up in a few days. As well if you have any questions feel free to send us a PM here and we would be happy to help.

Congrats on the new wheels and tires!

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Although you are correct, in that the frequency is the same for the Ford Mustangs. It looks like they changed sensor part numbers over the years. Based on our data, the sensors that are compatible for your model year are 2014-preset. It looks like the S197 was 05-14. As long as the Mustang these came from was a 2014 model year it should work.

To answer your other question, as long as the sensors are compatible with your vehicle, you will not need a programming tool. Set the tires to the correct PSI and take a 20 min drive and they should auto relearn. Unfortunately if they do not auto learn after a few days there is a good chance they are not compatible with your vehicle. If you would like confirmation you can have a shop scan them with a TPMS scan tool to double check.

If you would like to swing into any nearby Discount Tire store our guys would be happy to run a scan on them at no charge. If they do not sync up in a few days. As well if you have any questions feel free to send us a PM here and we would be happy to help.

Congrats on the new wheels and tires!
Thanks for the help! Fortunately he said that he had a 2014!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If they don’t sync in ~100 miles, then buy or borrow a tool. Your Ford dealer or maybe Discout tire would do it. If the tool doesn’t work you’ll know for sure.

OP
OP
crimson_crowd_eater

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So I put the wheels on last night and when I started the car this morning everything was already synced up. I know it was the new wheels because the tire pressures were completely different and lower than the tires that were in the car.
Sponsored