Sponsored

TPMS self leaning or does it need programming?

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I have Ford OEM sensors in three sets of wheels for my 2015 and they have never self-learned. I have to use the reset tool and also have to do the pedal dance to get the car into programming mode.
Do U go in the settings and tell the car U put on a new set of TPMS?
I mean before the pedaldance?
I wonder if there's differences between MY 15-16-17?
Sponsored

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
Do U go in the settings and tell the car U put on a new set of TPMS?
I mean before the pedaldance?
I wonder if there's differences between MY 15-16-17?
There is nothing in settings on my car regarding TPMS other than choice of units. 15 EBPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I did this today and it took probably 10 minutes. This requires no tool whatsoever.
- Push start button to enter accessory mode. Do not push brake pedal.
- Cycle hazard button/toggle switch three times
- Car horn will sound. Notice menu in between dash now says “TPMS...”
- Start at driver front, deplete air pressure from tire until horn sounds.
- Complete remaining tires in clockwise pattern. Horn will sound for each tire.
- Once complete, notice dash menu. Service your tires accordingly to replenish.

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
I've got the tool so no need to deflate/re-inflate the tires, but I haven't been able to get the process to work if I cycle the hazard button to enter the programming mode. Got no idea why it's different when I use the brake pedal/start button to enter programming mode. At least there's one way that works when I switch between street & track wheels.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I have no doubt. My issue was not with setting up though. I had a sensor that was not displaying what was actually in the tire. Air pressure was measured at the tire but the sensor was displaying an inaccurate psi in the dash menu and triggered the TPMS light, even after servicing and driving. The steps I used was to “relearn” and to clear the light.

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
If you have the correct Ford units, they set themselves up automatically. I have three sets of wheels, each with factory TPMS sensors, and I never did a thing to get the sensors working on each set.

They're cheap here: https://www.amazon.com/F2GZ-1A189-Pressure-Sensors-2015-16-Ford/dp/B013GU2VTI
That's what is most confusing to me as my three sets are the correct Ford parts, including the original set that came with the car, and the car won't pick up any of them on it's own even after 100-200 miles.:shrug:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
That's what is most confusing to me as my three sets are the correct Ford parts, including the original set that came with the car, and the car won't pick up any of them on it's own even after 100-200 miles.:shrug:
So clearly the people who have not had issues with the car auto-learning wheel sensors think that it never fails for anybody, which is not the case.

The $30 training tool combined with the right procedure to enter training mode make it easy though (brake pedal and start/stop button, NOT toggle switches)

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I did this today and it took probably 10 minutes. This requires no tool whatsoever.
- Push start button to enter accessory mode. Do not push brake pedal.
- Cycle hazard button/toggle switch three times
- Car horn will sound. Notice menu in between dash now says “TPMS...”
- Start at driver front, deplete air pressure from tire until horn sounds.
- Complete remaining tires in clockwise pattern. Horn will sound for each tire.
- Once complete, notice dash menu. Service your tires accordingly to replenish.

Was the sensor displaying inaccurate pressures? The tire machine was saying 32 psi and when I got in my car, the sensor readout was 47 psi.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Well this all sounds about as clear as mud. Makes aftermarket wheel shopping sound like it has potential to make for a not fun experience.

Sponsored

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
Well this all sounds about as clear as mud. Makes aftermarket wheel shopping sound like it has potential to make for a not fun experience.
Really has nothing to do with aftermarket wheels as long as you have the correct sensors. It's more an inconsistency with some cars not recognizing the sensors automatically.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Was the sensor displaying inaccurate pressures? The tire machine was saying 32 psi and when I got in my car, the sensor readout was 47 psi.
My sensor was actually stuck at 27 psi despite taking out/adding air. After “relearning”, my issue has gone away. I wanted to try something different that did not require purchasing a tool. This was merely troubleshooting if I had a bad sensor or not.

Reactions: Ebm

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Well that's weird.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Sounds like if I rotate the tires it figures out which tires are on what corner and properly displays this? On my 2015 F150 when I rotate the tires I have to do the TPMS location exercise by lowering the tire pressures.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Just got new wheels and tires last week and the pressure readouts on all 4 has been a constant 30 PSI no matter what. Yesterday two of them stopped responding altogether, although it's pretty obvious none of them ever read correctly since I put them on. Gonna swing by Ford today and ask them to reset. But if they ask for a pantload of money to do it, I'll just try to do it myself as described above.
Sponsored