TPMS Pressure vs. Accurate Gauge

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
(Discussed in this subforum because #racecar)

I finally splurged on a proper pressure gauge and I noticed that the TPMS generally over-measures by 1-2PSI relative to the gauge.

Anyone notice the same thing?

Are there any reasons, eg. traction nannies, to calibrate/replace the sensors?

Thanks.

Edits for grammar and added the type of gauge.

http://www.intercompracing.com/99.99-digital-pressure-gauge-p-180-l-en.html
Sponsored

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Yes, my TPMS sensors and dash reads 3-4 psi higher than my gauge. I haven't found any adverse issues with it reading higher.

Last edited:

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
My TPMS also read 3-4 lbs higher than an actual tire pressure gauge. Whats the deal here? Is there anyway to correct these?

Sponsored

Terminated

GTFO_0009
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Vehicle(s)
Bagged & Boosted 50th Anniversary
Yeah, mine read about 1-2 PSI higher- I don't know if you can really do anything to change the calibration and get it dialed in. I just a standard gauge to set my pressure on all 4 and the TPMS is really just to monitor for anything weird.

OP
OP
F0J

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Someone at Intercomp called me to discuss reading pressure and it's much more complicated than I thought. Ambient temperature can have a pretty big effect on the read (either by changing the viscosity of an oil based gauge or the compression of the spring in a spring based gauge). I find that the TPMS system reaches better accuracy once the tires are warm.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I had one tire that was a little low due to the air kit in the trunk not sealing up when I tried to add. Took it to the WaWa and had my gauge. Put them all at 33 and the TPMS was right on, although the low tire tends to go 1 psi under. I'm guessing the auto-air shut off thing was off a little with that lower pressure.

I was surprised at how accurate it really was. Riding around watching it is interesting to see how the pressures go up with driving. I can be as high as 35 on the back right and the front driver will be at 33.

Overall, I think it's one of the coolest things I've seen on a car. Instead of just a low pressure, you can get an idea of what it is and how certain driving affects each corner.

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
They vary. I can have my stock wheels and tires on the car and the TPMS will read 3-4 psi higher than my longacre gauge. I can switch out to my track wheels and the factory ford TPMS in them are normally 1-2 psi off from my longacre gauge.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
They vary. I can have my stock wheels and tires on the car and the TPMS will read 3-4 psi higher than my longacre gauge. I can switch out to my track wheels and the factory ford TPMS in them are normally 1-2 psi off from my longacre gauge.
I'm curious do you program them or does the car figure it out?

I just ran out and checked them 33 LH 34 RH. Within a 1/2 pound right now. Gauge to car. I need a real gauge but the car was sitting in the sun on the LH side when I went out for my last session so now that it's been in the garage a few days the pressures have come back to normal and last time I set them to 35ish all the way around, in the sun. I wonder how much it's the moisture content. My cheap digital gauge always reads closer to the TPMS than my cheap mechanical dial gauge. I assume because the digital gauge is basically a TMPS sensor transducer with a display. I mechanical gauge has to move the needle and fill a hose. #DeflateGate

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
This is frustrating. Mine used to all be within 1psi of a gauge reading.
In the last few weeks they all started reading 4psi higher in the car. A reset with the built in learn (three toggles of the hazard light switch) doesn't help. I'd really like to get them back to at least close to accurate...

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I'm too cheap to buy the TPMS for my track wheels. (And for some reason, I have 4 sets of wheels/tires)

Where's the cheapest place to buy a set of 4? I think I grabbed a set on ebay for ~$60 a while ago?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Levittown Ford Parts has great prices on the TPMS sensors, but crappy shipping, so might be worth it for a set of 4

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
I'm too cheap to buy the TPMS for my track wheels. (And for some reason, I have 4 sets of wheels/tires)

Where's the cheapest place to buy a set of 4? I think I grabbed a set on ebay for ~$60 a while ago?
Rockauto
Sponsored