TPMS issues

2015Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
2015 Mustang V6...starting to have intermittent issues with the tpms reading on dash. Its showing left front and right rear as not reading. Took it to the local dealer and only one of the tires "relearned" itself on the training tool. This issue as I said comes and goes but now seems to be lasting. With almost 100k on odo could it be time to replace all 4 or with only two not showing tire pressure could there be another issue? Is there a CPU or something that controls the TPMS and THAT is failing? Thanks in advance. Im a shadetree mechanic so dont know everything there is to know about the TPMS.
Sponsored

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
Just did a search - ford TPMS sensors have batteries, that are probably not replaceable. Guess it's time to buy new sensors.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 and they’ve never read correctly from the factory. Make sure you have a good air pressure gauge. Check them often.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
There are batteries in the sensors (sealed in, not replaceable), if there’s 100k miles on them they’re probably done. It’s recommended to change them when you get new tires

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
There are batteries in the sensors (sealed in, not replaceable), if there’s 100k miles on them they’re probably done. It’s recommended to change them when you get new tires
I sell tires, and I have never heard that recommendation before. Most of my customers are on at least their 3rd set of tires before needing new sensors. It is, however, an industry standard recommendation to replace the valve stems on the sensors at every tire change.

Sponsored

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
2015 Mustang V6...starting to have intermittent issues with the tpms reading on dash. Its showing left front and right rear as not reading. Took it to the local dealer and only one of the tires "relearned" itself on the training tool. This issue as I said comes and goes but now seems to be lasting. With almost 100k on odo could it be time to replace all 4 or with only two not showing tire pressure could there be another issue? Is there a CPU or something that controls the TPMS and THAT is failing? Thanks in advance. Im a shadetree mechanic so dont know everything there is to know about the TPMS.
Hello @2015Pumpkin.

Typically speaking, TPMS sensors do have a 6-8 year lifespan. Some will go longer, some will go less. They are battery powered and the batteries will fail over time. Unfortunately, the battery is sealed so it is not a replaceable item.

Furthermore, once one starts to fail, the others will follow suit in short order. Given the year of your vehicle, and the intermittent issues you are experiencing, you might consider replacing the sensors sooner rather that later.

Your local Discount Tire store can evaluate your TPMS sensors free of charge, and help you make a more informed decision on what your options are. Hope this helps.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I sell tires, and I have never heard that recommendation before. Most of my customers are on at least their 3rd set of tires before needing new sensors. It is, however, an industry standard recommendation to replace the valve stems on the sensors at every tire change.
That’s what I’ve always been told but I usually hit age on my tires (~6 years) before the end of tread life

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Just replace all 4. they are obviously not hard wired so the (TPMS) battery is the issue. A good careful tire guy will swap them out with out even having to remove the tire completely from the rim. Or do it when you get new tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2015Pumpkin

2015Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Hello @2015Pumpkin.

Typically speaking, TPMS sensors do have a 6-8 year lifespan. Some will go longer, some will go less. They are battery powered and the batteries will fail over time. Unfortunately, the battery is sealed so it is not a replaceable item.

Furthermore, once one starts to fail, the others will follow suit in short order. Given the year of your vehicle, and the intermittent issues you are experiencing, you might consider replacing the sensors sooner rather that later.

Your local Discount Tire store can evaluate your TPMS sensors free of charge, and help you make a more informed decision on what your options are. Hope this helps.
Thanks!! Appreciate the response!!

OP
OP
2015Pumpkin

2015Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Just replace all 4. they are obviously not hard wired so the (TPMS) battery is the issue. A good careful tire guy will swap them out with out even having to remove the tire completely from the rim. Or do it when you get new tires.
Luckily my girlfriends brother in law works at the local Ford dealership...Soooo....I know a guy! LOL

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t care if the battery is at full strength. If the sensor is not accurate, why even have it in the car. I’ve never relied on the sensors. That’s just me. Check your own tire pressure my friends.

OP
OP
2015Pumpkin

2015Pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
I don’t care if the battery is at full strength. If the sensor is not accurate, why even have it in the car. I’ve never relied on the sensors. That’s just me. Check your own tire pressure my friends.
Always do...but I HATE seeing lights going off on the dash! LOL. Thanks for the reply Demon!

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Just to let you know how the sensors are read: the antenna on the back shelf, between the two speakers. That thing receive the signal from the TPMS and if that fails, all fails.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Being of by 1 or 2 PSI is no issue. The readings tell you if you have a puncture, if your tires are waaaay low/high due to changing temps, and just in general provide lots of good information.
Sponsored