mpower_ss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Hello all,

I have a 2016 GT with quite a few mods. I’ve been wanting to upgrade my suspension to handle more like a GT350. After breaking down the options, it was becoming increasing clear. Many of the upgrades I want to do are already on a 350. Common sense wise (don’t add up the numbers on a calculator), my brain is telling me why spend all this money on changing brakes, suspension, chassis, wheel size, etc.
After doing more research, there are Lots of differences between the coyote and the voodoo. I’m sure many of you folks have already reached this crossroad. What where some of your determining factors that helped you make your decision? In either direction. Posting this on the 350 board as well.

Thank you,
Michael S...
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'd say that it totally depends on your goal and when you want it.
If you just want the handling of the 350 then it's time to get out the calculator and see which makes more sense.
If you want the different engine, the mystique and all the little things that come with a 350 then a different car might be best.
Of course, with the prices Mustangs are bringing now, it might not be that hard a decision.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What's the actual question in.........question?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Generally speaking, the Coyote engine should be a lot more reliable than the VooDoo one in the long run, so keep that in mind, depending how much you want to use the car.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what you want from your relationship with the car. There's plenty of satisfaction in owning and driving a car you've honed to match your desires. Also a great deal of different-kind-of satisfaction in owning and driving a car that does pretty much the same job, but carries with it a load of mystique and tradition.

If you can't have one of each, what kind of assets are you willing to invest in your choice? The home-honed version will take personal energy, patience, and some money. The developed, licensed-by-history car will take more money, but will be there a lot sooner, and with less personal energy invested.

You're right, it's a tough choice. Aren't we lucky to have to make these decisions?

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Hello all,

I have a 2016 GT with quite a few mods. I’ve been wanting to upgrade my suspension to handle more like a GT350. After breaking down the options, it was becoming increasing clear. Many of the upgrades I want to do are already on a 350. Common sense wise (don’t add up the numbers on a calculator), my brain is telling me why spend all this money on changing brakes, suspension, chassis, wheel size, etc.
After doing more research, there are Lots of differences between the coyote and the voodoo. I’m sure many of you folks have already reached this crossroad. What where some of your determining factors that helped you make your decision? In either direction. Posting this on the 350 board as well.

Thank you,
Michael S...
If i were in your position i would probably wait and get the mach 1 when it comes out. Best of both worlds imo. Just find one at or below msrp

OP
OP

mpower_ss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
What's the actual question in.........question?
I guess the question is why spend that much money on upgrades that another car already has. I like cornering and handling more than straight line running. However, I don't have plans to track it.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I guess the question is why spend that much money on upgrades that another car already has. I like cornering and handling more than straight line running. However, I don't have plans to track it.
Are you asking if you should just buy a GT350?

If so, they're only available used at this point. Or whatever few are left on dealer lots.

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
You need to consider the age, condition, mileage, and value of your car, before considering mods vs. a different car.

About this time last year I started looking into a used GT350 or GT350R. After reading about the VooDoo engine and the seemingly unexplainable engine failures, along with the explainable ones. I decided on finding the right GT PP1 or PP2 at the right price,and putting the money saved into chassis, suspension, exhaust, wheels, tires, intake improvements, mild bolt ons, and a mild dyno tune. Completely satisfied with my choice and the results. Came out ahead dollars to dollars and savings left to continue improving!!!! Right now I could supercharge it or Install a Tremec and still be ahead.

Remember that there Is still room for improvement on the GT350 platform, so you'd probably wind up spending for mods on it that may involve changing some of the GT350 specific components that you paid extra to have.

There is always that Tremec transmission to consider though!!

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Hello all,

Thank you,
Michael S...
What mods - performance mods - have you done thus far? Mainly engine, powertrain, wheels, tires kind of stuff.

Can you define a little more specifically what you think your current car's suspension should be doing better than it currently does? Or what - suspensionwise - it might be about the GT350 that you can see as improving its daily-driving character for you over your current Mustang? Your observations, please.

I'm trying to get you to think of any suspension mod project - OR a move up to a GT350 - more in terms of what you want to fix to suit you personally. And less about simply throwing parts x, y, and z, or kit abc, or a whole 'nother car at the situation.

Maybe get in touch with Brian @ BMVK. Do spend some time in the "Road Course, Track, Autocross, HPDE" and "Suspension, Brakes & Chassis" sections

Norm

Sponsored
OP
OP

mpower_ss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
What mods - performance mods - have you done thus far? Mainly engine, powertrain, wheels, tires kind of stuff.

Can you define a little more specifically what you think your current car's suspension should be doing better than it currently does? Or what - suspensionwise - it might be about the GT350 that you can see as improving its daily-driving character for you over your current Mustang? Your observations, please.

I'm trying to get you to think of any suspension mod project - OR a move up to a GT350 - more in terms of what you want to fix to suit you personally. And less about simply throwing parts x, y, and z, or kit abc, or a whole 'nother car at the situation.

Maybe get in touch with Brian @ BMVK. Do spend some time in the "Road Course, Track, Autocross, HPDE" and "Suspension, Brakes & Chassis" sections

Norm,

Some of my mods are CAI, BBK headers, MBPR exhaust, 2018 Manifold, larger injectors and throttle body. Chipped and tuned by Lund Racing using an nGauge Dash mount. It supports 3 tunes (93, e85, ghost cam).
Half shafts have been upgraded along with an aluminum driveshaft. The car is lowered with a few other minor suspension upgrades.
I started researching suspension upgrades because the front feels to soft. I started looking at some of the options through Ford Performance and others from BMR and Steeda. My springs are painted red, but I can’t see what kind they are. My goal was to have a really firm suspension for handling, not straight line. I don’t plan on tracking it, but would like performance close to a track car without loosing my fillings on every bump. I’m sure I’m leaving somethings out. But that’s it in a nutshell.
Thanks,
Michael S...
Norm,
I have

OP
OP

mpower_ss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Norm,

Some of my mods are CAI, BBK headers, MBPR exhaust, 2018 Manifold, larger injectors and throttle body. Chipped and tuned by Lund Racing using an nGauge Dash mount. It supports 3 tunes (93, e85, ghost cam).
Half shafts have been upgraded along with an aluminum driveshaft. The car is lowered with a few other minor suspension upgrades.
I started researching suspension upgrades because the front feels to soft. I started looking at some of the options through Ford Performance and others from BMR and Steeda. My springs are painted red, but I can’t see what kind they are. My goal was to have a really firm suspension for handling, not straight line. I don’t plan on tracking it, but would like performance close to a track car without loosing my fillings on every bump. I’m sure I’m leaving somethings out. But that’s it in a nutshell.
Thanks,
Michael S...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The approach I'd take would be, first, dampers. And then a little more spring stiffness plus a bit more sta-bar stiffness. Bars for controlling roll a bit tighter, springs for nose dive under braking. It's perfectly fine to still have some roll and some nose dive, as long as those inertial movements are well-controlled and the car feels composed. You'd hate the ride if you tried to truly minimize them.

I have a feeling that people are bothered more by roll and nose dive than they need to be. It's just something that's noticed more when a person's normal driving hasn't included much harder driving where their car is going to be moving around on its suspension more. You might be surprised at how much roll (for instance) can be overlooked or even ignored once you get used to it.

Norm

Last edited:

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I did that math for my 2017 GB GT which is selling for around 25-27 000 euro here (my handling upgrade is around 8000 euro). Used and probably crashed GT350 is around 46-47 000 euro here year for year. So you have 35-36 000 euro vs 47 000 euro for a Voodoo and Tremac. This is in Europe in States may be different / cheaper in both directions but I think the gaps will be similiar.

If you don't have plans to track it stick with the GT more daily and there is 1000$ kit's that will make your car handle like a race car. FPTP Dumpers + BMR 083 springs comes to mind.

Hope this helps.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
There's nothing magical about the GT350 handling. Its a cool car with more horsepower than a GT, but when it comes down to it, we're just talking good (wide) tires, good shocks, and a moderate spring rate + swaybar increase to meet the GT350 in the handling department. You'll still need the horsepower to keep up with one on a larger track tho.

Modding a GT you've already got is far more cost effective than getting into GT350 that costs 20k more. You can do a lot of good work with that 20k price difference.
Sponsored