MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Has anyone seen any mod available that would change the the speed/MPH for convertible top operation?

I'd love to be able to operate the mechanism at 5-8MPH vs. none-2MPH, it's super handy when you're rolling up to a red light to be able to start it moving.

I understand the potential safety concern, and that AFAIK, there's no secondary lockout.

In my S2K, there was two safety mechanisms, 1) speed and 2) e-brake set, and 1 was easily bypassed with a little [easily reversed] wiring change, so then you could just engage the brake up a couple of ticks and raise/lower, so you couldn't inadvertently raise it just by pushing the switch.

Convertibles get a DIC message, so I thought the logic might be available in the BCM and was hoping the folks hacking around with the As-Built Data, might come across something, but I haven't seen anything as of yet.

Thread about modifying the ABD here:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61773
Sponsored

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
I've always wondered why is it that other convertibles with heavier more complicated systems are allowed to operate up to 30mph but not our super light 10 freaking second top?! We have one of the fastest convertible tops out there only bested by hand operated Miata!

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
The Miata power tops had a hack for top up/down while moving at a set speed and also a "no hold button" hack. Some really expensive box that went under your seat and plugged into the control module.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I've always wondered why is it that other convertibles with heavier more complicated systems are allowed to operate up to 30mph but not our super light 10 freaking second top?! We have one of the fastest convertible tops out there only bested by hand operated Miata!
I've guessed (don't know for a fact), that is the reason... because it is so light and maybe delicate. Although, I still need to get out and see a camaro top (which can go down at 30 mph, as you know).

But I'm hoping the 2020 or 2021 model has the ability to go down at 190 mph... I need that for my residential driving. :D

All j/k aside, 20 to 40 mph would be great.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
My guess is the composite gearing can't handle the torque. It is a weak link in the drive system if there's ever synchronicity with one side lagging the lead side may snap a tooth.

Sponsored

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
On the Camaro, the back of the top comes up so the lid to the storage area can open. That allows air to flow under and out the back. Seems like that would relieve a lot of the wind pressure against the top as it operates.

Watch this video showing the Camaro top operation. There's no trunk room at all with the top down. I'll take a bigger trunk over being able to operate the top at 30 mph.

[ame]

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My guess is the composite gearing can't handle the torque. It is a weak link in the drive system if there's ever synchronicity with one side lagging the lead side may snap a tooth.
Oh yeah, I'm sure Ford is +extremely+ conservative with the operational limits (in terms of speed).

This is more of do-the-mod-take-your-chances sort of question, you know, unless the failure tolerance is already super close.

On the Camaro, the back of the top comes up so the lid to the storage area can open. That allows air to flow under and out the back. Seems like that would relieve a lot of the wind pressure against the top as it operates.

Watch this video showing the Camaro top operation. There's no trunk room at all with the top down. I'll take a bigger trunk over being able to operate the top at 30 mph.

Same here, I really dislike convertible designs where the trunk space varies between top and top down (hardtop convertibles are the worst offender).

Someone in a thread a while back also said the top dumps water (obv. if present) into the trunk :D

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert

The reduced trunk space allowed for an amazing looking boot cover though.
maxresdefault.jpg

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
Oh yeah, I'm sure Ford is +extremely+ conservative with the operational limits (in terms of speed).
I've never tried to open/close it in a hurricane, but I've never given a second thought to the actual wind conditions when operating the top. The wind is usually blowing harder than the top speed limit.

Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Same here, I really dislike convertible designs where the trunk space varies between top and top down (hardtop convertibles are the worst offender).

Someone in a thread a while back also said the top dumps water (obv. if present) into the trunk :D
Not True with the hard top Miata. It used NO trunk space. Folded behind the seats. I would gladly give up the useless back seat on the Stang for a power hard top.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've never tried to open/close it in a hurricane, but I've never given a second thought to the actual wind conditions when operating the top. The wind is usually blowing harder than the top speed limit.
Hahaha, no kidding, here at the beach, just operating it in the driveway, I'm sure I've done it in 20-25MPH wind :D

Not True with the hard top Miata. It used NO trunk space. Folded behind the seats. I would gladly give up the useless back seat on the Stang for a power hard top.

Oh yeah? That's neat. I kind of cross shopped an M3 convertible, and that particular hardtop implementation consumes most of the trunk!

My wife had a 3-series convertible, soft top, and it had a lever operated partition in the trunk - the top up/down space was different but it at least allowed you to "set aside" the required trunk space in advance.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

That was me that mentioned that probably, played with one at a local dealer that was sitting in the rain (but had stopped by the time I was there). The Tonneu cover had water pooled on it and when it lifted it poured straight into the trunk area. Odd design choice, I much prefer the 2015 Mustang's top design even if we can only operate it at a stop, much more compact and practical for every day.

Also, when the back of the Camaro top lifts it is not open underneath, I believe there is fabric extending along the back to the back of the seats.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Looking at the Camero, I wonder how much of the coupe roof line they were able to retain with this design, and how much of the Mustangs might have been retained with a simular design. Not that I would trade for the lost trunk space. I wouldn't. Just curious.
Sponsored