TOMTOP 8" Touchscreen Upgrade: Post-Install Issues & Help Thread

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
Can you email them again and ask them what is there most current software and firmware versions and how can you update. There are a few members here that have much older versions that would love to update the software.

I got my code from them yesterday because I gave them bad feedback on ebay and they wanted me to change it to a positive one. I told them to give me the code and I will think about changing it.
I went ahead and asked them for it last night. They replied "we can send you a firm to help you change the language." I'm not entirely sure what that means but I said ok.
Sponsored

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
firmware?

psoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT pp
I went ahead and asked them for it last night. They replied "we can send you a firm to help you change the language." I'm not entirely sure what that means but I said ok.
Awesome...please share once you get it. Hopefully they will send instructions on how to update it with the firmware file. Can you also ask them what is their current software version? They might have an updated software, unless in this case the Firmware is the only software operating the system.

Edwin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang - Triple Yellow
I asked them for software and firmware updates. I'll let you know once they get back to me. They are out of the office for the weekend. So I probably won't get an email back until Sunday night at 3am.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
FWIW, I would be willing to chip in some dollars to whomever manages to fix the firmware so that the date/clock are correct, the Chinese label for "mute" reads in English, spelling errors are fixed, etc.

Overall I think the unit is worth the $300 but it would be nice to give it some polish. Especially because my mother will be visiting in March and I plan on giving her the Mustang, and I'd like her to have a seamless experience.

Sponsored

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
Anyone have suggestions on how to remove the rear plug to the CD player? I can't :(
It's a pain. As other mentioned, removed the sync box. You won't really be able to see what you are doing with your hand in there and it is a tight fit, but squeeze hard and pull hard and it'll come out. Some of the plugs were insanely difficult to pull out for whatever reason. I had to remove the dash a few times to screw with things and after that weekend, my finger tips were pretty fucked up from pulling all the plugs because how tight some of them were. Specifically the white plug that goes into the screen a the top and the round plug behind the CD player.

tazor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
all of them
I bought mine thru ebay. needless to say they were not happy that i complained, anyway Bruce from tomtop has emailed me with the funky installation guide,that sheds no light on our issues, I also asked for a update, they are aware of these issues and keep stalling. I messaged him again today and his reply is that we are gone for the weekend, etc etc so im trying to work it also.

ranger11x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
Base auto s550 magnetic
got mine today and installed it. gotta say only issues are temp is in C and pause button is in Chinese and when i open the door the unit turns on. other then that there are no issues. I also have screen mirroring set up and working so if anyone has an iphone and wants to know how to hard wire it (and pay less for screen mirroring then wifi) and hide everything with it for a stock "looking" set up id be happy to help. I was really anxious to get everything set up and installed but its an easy process and i can write it up detailed enough for an ape to do it.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
What's the reason for mirroring?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
got mine today and installed it. gotta say only issues are temp is in C and pause button is in Chinese and when i open the door the unit turns on. other then that there are no issues. I also have screen mirroring set up and working so if anyone has an iphone and wants to know how to hard wire it (and pay less for screen mirroring then wifi) and hide everything with it for a stock "looking" set up id be happy to help. I was really anxious to get everything set up and installed but its an easy process and i can write it up detailed enough for an ape to do it.

When mirrored, can you make selections on the TomTop display, or is it display only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
Pleaseeeeeee share how to get iphone mirroring working with it!

ranger11x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
Base auto s550 magnetic
Screen mirroring is used to display your phone screen on the Headunit. Use waze or google maps or any other nav you want. This gets rid of playing music and using the stock navi and having the music stop and start again. also I sit in my car and eat lunch and useally catch up on a show or two if i have time, the screen mirroring feature lets me watch my phone on a larger screen and gets rid of phone mounts which i find "cloggs" up the look of the interior.

ranger11x

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
keith
Vehicle(s)
Base auto s550 magnetic
so for iphone i chose to go with a wired set up. This allows phone charging and gets rid of all issues associated with wifi screen casting. I used these products http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightni...&sr=8-9&keywords=lightning+digital+av+adapter
http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Ext...4155&sr=8-3&keywords=lightning+cable+extender

http://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Compos...TF8&qid=1452894225&sr=8-4&keywords=HDMI+to+av

http://www.amazon.com/Male-Female-s...894771&sr=8-1&keywords=2+female+to+1+male+usb

those are the only things you need to buy unless you don't have AV cables lying around the house like I did (red white yellow av cables like for an older tv). I installed the tomtop Via the write up in another post, but I attatched the Yellow av video cable to the DTV cable on the tom top harness and the white and red av cable into the tom top harness as well. I then ran the three AV cables and the tomtop harness USB wire with the usb splitter cord under the center console all the way to the back of the console (console removal is also outlined in another thread). I then hooked up the hdmi to av converter to the cables that i ran and used a small 1 ft HDMI cord to hook the iphone digital Lightning av converter and a regular lightning cable to the USB splitter that is attatched to the tomtop usb cord then hooked up the HDMI to av converter (it has a power cable included in its box) and the lightning cable into the Lightning av converter. at this point you should have screen mirroring enabled once you hook the Lightning av converter into your phone! I went a step further and drilled a small hole into the bottom of the center console under the arm rest to run the lighting cable extention and hide all the other wiring so only one lighting cable shows from the bottom. if there are any questions or if this isnt clear please let me know

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Screen mirroring is used to display your phone screen on the Headunit. Use waze or google maps or any other nav you want. This gets rid of playing music and using the stock navi and having the music stop and start again. also I sit in my car and eat lunch and useally catch up on a show or two if i have time, the screen mirroring feature lets me watch my phone on a larger screen and gets rid of phone mounts which i find "cloggs" up the look of the interior.

So, just to be clear, it's watch/display only. You can't make selections on the TomTop screen when mirrored?

Steeeliskt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Manual
So, just to be clear, it's watch/display only. You can't make selections on the TomTop screen when mirrored?

More than likely, this would be the case. It is only a screen mirror. There is no software running for it to know the touch on TomTop screen = equivalent to phone device selection.
Sponsored