to flat stick or not to flat stick?

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
Not really , i have the low profile xspec it's always comes with the stick I have, i don't see an option to pick flat stick even with the link u provided with the same setup I have.
If I remember correctly, the flat stick is only available as X-Spec in standard length, even if you call MGW to order the shifter. Is your flat stick somehow shorter than that?
This what mine looks like installed -
20201022_142827.jpg
20201022_143055.jpg
Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
No the flat stick isn't shorter, I was referring to the low profile stick that I ordered with the shifter. I finally was able to resolve the problem I had with those screws. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures before I installed the flat stick to compare between them. I tried after I installed the flat stick. I asked MGW the height difference they said 1/2" & it shouldn't effect the throw much
The flat stick came with a silver spacer thingy that goes under the knob (it's in the second picture below) but I removed it since it added more height to the shifter.
IMG-20230919-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20230919-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20230919-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20230919-WA0003.jpg
The silver thing is actually the jam nut that secures the ball and allows for proper orientation of the printed shift pattern. Cranking down the ball to orient the pattern could crack the ball and will likely loosen over time according to MGW. Screwing on the ball as far down as it goes with proper orientation the turning the silver jam nut up to secure it snugly to the underside of the ball with the included spanned wrench is how the manufacturer suggests. If yours is tight and properly oriented with damaging the ball, you go lucky.

Kane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
The silver thing is actually the jam nut that secures the ball and allows for proper orientation of the printed shift pattern. Cranking down the ball to orient the pattern could crack the ball and will likely loosen over time according to MGW. Screwing on the ball as far down as it goes with proper orientation the turning the silver jam nut up to secure it snugly to the underside of the ball with the included spanned wrench is how the manufacturer suggests. If yours is tight and properly oriented with damaging the ball, you go lucky.
Yes that's what I heard too, I didn't over tighten it tho. I might look for a really thin nut cuz the knob came with one but it's a little thicker, do you recommend even tho I'm not super tighten the knob to put the jam nut there?

My understanding the knob breaks only when u overtightened it otherwise you are good

Last edited:

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What is the height of the flat stick versus factory shifter?

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
What is the height of the flat stick versus factory shifter?
I don't remember how tall stock is, but here's a pic of the MGW low profile vs flat stick handles. I don't think the flat stick is much shorter than stock...but there is still a throw reduction. Maybe someone has those exact numbers somewhere.

1120950.jpg

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I don't remember how tall stock is, but here's a pic of the MGW low profile vs flat stick handles. I don't think the flat stick is much shorter than stock...but there is still a throw reduction. Maybe someone has those exact numbers somewhere.

1120950.jpg
Thanks!!!
Sponsored