Tire Suggestions Please....

50BMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020GT A10 PP1, SPF AC Cobra, Fusion Sport, Ram 4X
I've searched this part of the forum for some tire suggestions and I'm still not sure.
I have a stock 2020 GT, auto, PP1 car. w/@ 16,000 on the odo.
The stock rears (4S) are nearing slick status and are louder than hell (they have been really loud for at least the last 8000 miles).
I don't drive my car at all in the MI. winters, but I do drive in the rain and on cooler spring/fall days (40-50F).
Mine is basically a spirited/road driver, but I can see myself going to the track and strip every once in a while to have fun there.
I like the stock PP1 wheels and I'd like to keep them.

In the past, I have seen people rave about the Nitto 555's for both traction and decent longevity. These treads look appealing for summer tires. Do these suffer from poor traction in lower temps like the 4S meats?
Surprisingly, there are no real reviews for the NT555 G2's on the Tire Rack site... Why?

I've also seen decent reviews for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. But some say these tires profile narrower than the 4S due to having a rounder edge profile (?). Could I go up to the 285/35's on the same wheels to compensate for this? I hear the sidewalls of these tires are not quite as stiff as the 4S's either. Is it that bad? I would want to lose too much corner-ability...
The Conti Pure Contacts on my Fusion Sport kick ass on both dry pavement and even in deep snow on really hilly terrain. I'd be happy if the EC's do as well as those...

I've also had pretty good luck with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's on my AC Cobra (@630HP & almost 700Ft-Lbs) for both traction and longevity. These tire also rate really well on tire rack. Their tread looks really interesting too. No mileage warranty though (not that it matters I guess), but are these really soft?

Is there anything I might have missed?

Sorry if I'm being repetitive with this thread.

Pat
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Nitto G2’s suck, don’t buy them. I run Continental Extreme Contact Sports in spring through fall. Wet traction is really good and they do fine in temps down to about 40-45 degrees. The ECS02’s are out now and sounds like they’re every bit as good. Michelin PS4S is a really good tire too. But with any summer compound tire, once the temp drops they start to firm up.

I’ve never run the Indy 500’s but there are several here that do and like them.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
The DWS 06 Plus is a great performance tire for all around drivability, but probably wont do you any huge favors on the track. If you're looking to stay with Continentals, try the Extreme Contact Sport 02.

The Nitto is a great tire too, but for me, the Sport 02 wins the track battle.

Love the avatar by the way. Mine has the same color combo!

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I second the Nitto G2's are terrible. I got a set of 305 wide on mine and they won't hook up at all in the rain. And barely do anything when its dry. Once I drive a while and heat them up on a 70 degree day they are tolerable. Not to mention they are loud as crap from day one. That said, I went with a set of Michelin Pilot all season 4's on my stock PP wheels in factory size. They grip amazingly well and do good in colder temps. I drove mine on Christmas Eve when it was single digits outside, dry pavement aside, they stuck like glue. Suprised me. I have driven them in pouring rain too and they are stable and predictable. I have had the Continental DWS 06 as well on another vehicle and they do really well too. I would stay away from the Nitto, just my $0.02. I am simply waiting to wear mine down some more and get rid of them.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
In the past, I have seen people rave about the Nitto 555's for both traction and decent longevity
god NO!
Could I go up to the 285/35's on the same wheels to compensate for this?
you have 9/9.5" you can run 255 square, 265 square, 255/265 or 255/275.
Can you put 285 on the 9.5" rear, sure, but not much point.

for running around town anything black and round will suffice. I really like the Conti DWS06 and the Supercar3 over the PS4s. THere's nothing wrong with the Indy500 either. Depends how much $$ you want to throw at the problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Beaujangles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Well, having run almost all of the tires mentioned on everything from Volvos to Corvettes I now tend to stick with Michelins and when I replaced the S4s on my Bullitt I went to the Pilot All Season 4 in the original 255/275 size, quieter better riding and higher UTOG than the S4s, also a few $ less than the S4s with no detectable loss of performance on the street...I did the switch from PS2s to the All Seasons awhile back on my wife's CTS-V and she loved it, saying now it rides more like a Cadillac than a Corvette.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Well, having run almost all of the tires mentioned on everything from Volvos to Corvettes I now tend to stick with Michelins and when I replaced the S4s on my Bullitt I went to the Pilot All Season 4 in the original 255/275 size, quieter better riding and higher UTOG than the S4s, also a few $ less than the S4s with no detectable loss of performance on the street...I did the switch from PS2s to the All Seasons awhile back on my wife's CTS-V and she loved it, saying now it rides more like a Cadillac than a Corvette.
I have the same on my PP wheels. I love them, they ride good and grip excellent.

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Guess I'm in the minority but my G2's have been great. Decent enough in the rain and hooking as well as I could expect for an all season tire

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Ps4s's here. I ran the i dy 500's i. My scat pack charger and liked them. Im making 700hp to the tire and do kinda want more grip but the ps4s tires are great in the curves and such. I do agree the road noise is a bit much at times. They do have some with a foam ring inside to soak up some noise. But not in the size i run at least in the rear. Im tempted to go 325's in the back but i cant wrap my head around how they dont rub for people. Maybe they are noy lowered. Im somewhere between 1.5 and 2" lower than stock. Sitting on steeda ultimate magride springs.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Guess I'm in the minority but my G2's have been great. Decent enough in the rain and hooking as well as I could expect for an all season tire
My G2's are Summer tire. Not sure what you have.

Sponsored

RoGCobraRV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My G2's are Summer tire. Not sure what you have.
Yeah meant summer tire. I drive it year round but I'm in Florida. Still has performed well for me

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Yeah meant summer tire. I drive it year round but I'm in Florida. Still has performed well for me
I had high hopes. when I got them I bought mine as a set from LMR. Dry pavement isn't too bad if it is above 70 degrees. Can still light them up easily from a stop. My Michelin 275 wide hooks up every time when dry, no questions asked. When it is wet I can't take off at more than 1/4 throttle without lighting it up completely. 305 wide in the rear. Probably has something to do with it.

OP
OP
50BMG

50BMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2020GT A10 PP1, SPF AC Cobra, Fusion Sport, Ram 4X
Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Thanks Discount Tire guy. Discount is usually where I like to buy my tires for all my cars when I can (I own a construction company and I've used the Discount tire certificates MANY times over the last 25-30 years due to the tire slashing hazards I seem to have a talent to find on unimproved construction sites). Yes, that's my Superformance in my avatar: 520 inch plant that I built myself under the hood. 5 spd TKO. Still running the stock 15" wheels though. I replaced the BFG TA's I originally had on the car with Indy 500's many years ago and I have really been enjoying them. For the $, they have been GREAT tires! Too bad they stopped making them in 15". They would be a great classic muscle-car tire if they were still around (nice white raised lettering on them too). My best 1/4 mile time on the Indy's is 11.42 @ 126mph at Milan Dragway near Ann Arbor, MI.
But, not having a full roll cage, as soon as I break 11.50 time, they kick me off the track... LoL...
Just short of the 11.50 kill-zone:

Like I said, with the Fusion Sport (2.7L Bi-Turbo V6), the Conti Pure Contacts have been ass-kickers over the stock Goodyears, both on dry pavement and in INSANE winter environments that I run across in Houghton MI. (Houghton got @240" of snow in the '21-'22 winter season!).
The Contis are wearing very well on that car too. Really smooth at speed too.

I was out in the Mustang flogging the old 4S's tires today (@88F outside in Michi-gun today) and really, with the car in Track mode, it's pretty difficult to get the tires to do too much more than "chirp" when it comes to mashing the throttle in a straight line. So in hindsight, I'll probably be fine with the stock tire dimensions I guess.
BUT, some people say the Contis are actually narrower than the stock 4S's by @ an inch in the 275/40-19 size?
I can't see how this can be true if mounted on the same width wheel........?
(My stock PP1 wheels are 9.5" wide on the rears, correct?)

On the Tire Rack site, when mounted on a 9.5" rim and compared, the EC DSW06, the 4S, the EC Sport2 and the Indy 500 are all listed at a 9.4", 10.1", 9.3" & 9" for tread width respectively, but all with the same sectional width of 10.9".
Does this have to do with the "more squared off" edge of the 4S tires compared to the others?

Not as many reviews on the EC Sport 2 as the others either... From what has been written so far, they look pretty decent.

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Thanks Discount Tire guy. Discount is usually where I like to buy my tires for all my cars when I can (I own a construction company and I've used the Discount tire certificates MANY times over the last 25-30 years due to the tire slashing hazards I seem to have a talent to find on unimproved construction sites). Yes, that's my Superformance in my avatar: 520 inch plant that I built myself under the hood. 5 spd TKO. Still running the stock 15" wheels though. I replaced the BFG TA's I originally had on the car with Indy 500's many years ago and I have really been enjoying them. For the $, they have been GREAT tires! Too bad they stopped making them in 15". They would be a great classic muscle-car tire if they were still around (nice white raised lettering on them too). My best 1/4 mile time on the Indy's is 11.42 @ 126mph at Milan Dragway near Ann Arbor, MI.
But, not having a full roll cage, as soon as I break 11.50 time, they kick me off the track... LoL...
Just short of the 11.50 kill-zone:

Like I said, with the Fusion Sport (2.7L Bi-Turbo V6), the Conti Pure Contacts have been ass-kickers over the stock Goodyears, both on dry pavement and in INSANE winter environments that I run across in Houghton MI. (Houghton got @240" of snow in the '21-'22 winter season!).
The Contis are wearing very well on that car too. Really smooth at speed too.

I was out in the Mustang flogging the old 4S's tires today (@88F outside in Michi-gun today) and really, with the car in Track mode, it's pretty difficult to get the tires to do too much more than "chirp" when it comes to mashing the throttle in a straight line. So in hindsight, I'll probably be fine with the stock tire dimensions I guess.
BUT, some people say the Contis are actually narrower than the stock 4S's by @ an inch in the 275/40-19 size?
I can't see how this can be true if mounted on the same width wheel........?
(My stock PP1 wheels are 9.5" wide on the rears, correct?)

On the Tire Rack site, when mounted on a 9.5" rim and compared, the EC DSW06, the 4S, the EC Sport2 and the Indy 500 are all listed at a 9.4", 10.1", 9.3" & 9" for tread width respectively, but all with the same sectional width of 10.9".
Does this have to do with the "more squared off" edge of the 4S tires compared to the others?

Not as many reviews on the EC Sport 2 as the others either... From what has been written so far, they look pretty decent.
Cool video! Gapped that Corvette by a bunch! I Love it. Mine is an ERA. 427BB., 5 speed as well. I've only had it a little over a year. Haven't tracked it yet. I do know the Jag rear end hates aggressive starts off the line, so I don't get real crazy with it. But a whole lotta fun to drive. I've talked to a few guys who run the Firestones and love them. I will have to make a switch to them when I'm due for a new set soon.

There are subtle differences in height and width when it comes to different manufacturers, even though they read as the same size. I have found the the Michelin to be more squared off than other brands in the same size. The wider the footprint, the better.

The EC Sport 2 is still a fairly new offering in the marketplace so I haven't seen a whole lot of reviews yet, but I have had some pretty good word of mouth feedback from people I meet at local ride and drive events.
Sponsored