Tire spinning on rim with drag radials

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That will not stop the wheel from spinning inside the tire.
It’s worked for me twice in the last 12 years. If it’s spinning because of a little residual tire wax/lube stuck in the bead, it will work.
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
It’s worked for me twice in the last 12 years. If it’s spinning because of a little residual tire wax/lube stuck in the bead, it will work.
Sounds like power and traction is the culprit here, vs waxy residue

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Sounds like power and traction is the culprit here, vs waxy residue
It’s very possible yes, but it worked on my slicks launching at 5500rpm with 775whp.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
It’s very possible yes, but it worked on my slicks launching at 5500rpm with 775whp.
Results may vary I suppose. Your method won't work on my auto car or my stick shift car.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
My car is near stock power level but dragmode is so violent on these 18's that it did this. Removing the weights seems to have worked perfectly. Guess I wont have drag radials balanced from now on.

I was pulling .92 acceleration G force on the 1-2 shift with this near 4k lbs car so yea , a lot of force going through the rear wheels. I havent tried a transbrake launch yet but that should be interesting

Sponsored

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
My car is near stock power level but dragmode is so violent on these 18's that it did this. Removing the weights seems to have worked perfectly. Guess I wont have drag radials balanced from now on.

I was pulling .92 acceleration G force on the 1-2 shift with this near 4k lbs car so yea , a lot of force going through the rear wheels. I havent tried a transbrake launch yet but that should be interesting
Do you have supporting mods for the transbrake? I installed a DSS one piece DS and FP half shafts so that I could do a transbrake without breaking stuff. I have watched and read too many people snapping/breaking things when launching with it!
Also, I noticed vibration around 90+ on my drag radials when i drove it today, I'll need to see if it has weights or not. Good tips in here for sure, will see what is going on and report my findings.

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Do you have supporting mods for the transbrake? I installed a DSS one piece DS and FP half shafts so that I could do a transbrake without breaking stuff. I have watched and read too many people snapping/breaking things when launching with it!
Also, I noticed vibration around 90+ on my drag radials when i drove it today, I'll need to see if it has weights or not. Good tips in here for sure, will see what is going on and report my findings.
No supporting mods yet, stock axles and driveshaft. For now I footbrake or just floor it but usually when I floor it I get wheel hop and let off immediately , all this testing has been on the street though, I cant comment on drag strip yet. According to NHRA rules I think I need a newer helmet (mine was made in april 2008 but perfect condition top of the line motorcycle helmet shoei x11) I also think I need metal valve stems instead of my TPMS sensors, technically I think I need a driveshaft loop, roll bar, and also a fire jacket, all while my car is bone stock basically..

Also the tires have spun at least 8 inches more since this post on the wheel, can update tomorrow if needed

Last edited:

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to test-n-tune, they will not check for anything other than a helmet (not even the date). They will peek under the hood and see stock motor and no power adder and you will be good.
Sponsored