Sponsored

Tire shop hustle.

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
Looking for opinions on what I should do about what I believe is a hustle I got caught up in. I recently had a set of project 6GR wheels for sale on offer up that also was wrapped in barely used cup 2 tires. I sold the wheels to a gentleman on Saturday but he didn’t want the tires.

i met him at his place of work to show him the wheels before having tires dismounted. He then suggested a tire shop just down the street that his auto sales company has worked with. Very cheap dismount and in a somewhat rough part of Phoenix.

The shop manager seemed very sharp and made me feel comfortable with the transaction I wanted. I made it very clear that the wheels were to be picked up by the man who recommended me to their shop and I would return later for the tires. Under no circumstances are they to discard the tires as I need them was the point I drove home twice. I also asked if keeping them overnight might be ok to which the manager said “no problem”.

As the shop is 30 minutes away I was not able to get back that day due to family plans. I called them twice to communicate this. Sunday passes and I call Monday morning to tell them I would be in the next day to pick up the tires.

Now the gentleman that bought my tires expresses interest in purchasing my tires as I had mentioned I want to move to PS4S tires. Tuesday morning we talk and he makes me an offer that I am more than happy with and told him once I pick up the tires we can firm up a deal.

I get to the shop at 11:30AM... tires are gone. Zero accountability from anyone there. “Sorry man, signs are posted we aren’t responsible for any items left here”. They take me back to their “storage area” which is outside in a crappy fenced in area with other tires to look. One of their techs who doesn’t speak hardly any English tells them they trashed the tires because the ones I brought in were shredded, which was a a bold faced lie as I showed them pics of the tires I took just last week when listing them for sale. I express how upsetting it was that after my In person drop off Saturday, 2 calls that afternoon and one on Monday, not once did Anyone mention that it might be risky to leave the tires there.

They have offered to get me PS4S tires brand new for $1200 and do a dismount, mount balance for free to make it “right”. But shit, why should I trust them with my 350R and carbon fiber wheels when they don’t have a touch less machine?

So that’s what I’m in anguish over. What would you guys make of this? Take them up on their offer for just tires and do the service elsewhere, walk away completely and pick up a set used with 3800 miles for $900, get a lawyer involved? The whole set up is just super shady and the fact no body there seems to give a shit that these tires went missing after I communicated so much leads me to believe I got hustled. I just don’t know what to make of it.

Sorry for the long story but it’s a huge lesson learned to avoid places like this at all cost, no matter how convenient or cheap their services are.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Sounds like you got royally screwed. Unfortunately it happens, to all of us. At this point use rack it up to a lapse in judgement and walk away. Just forget about the whole thing and move on. Easier said then done, but you can do it.

By the way I’d bet the guy that bought your wheels has the tires. He then called you as a misdirect.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Not much you can do really. A lawyer isn't cost effective over a set of used tires. Unless you can prove the conversation you had with the shop guy, you are out of luck. They will just deny any bailment and point to the sign and that would be that.

I am not sure why you are even contemplating giving the same shop any business at all. Run, run far away from them!

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Sounds like you got royally screwed. Unfortunately it happens, to all of us. At this point use rack it up to a lapse in judgement and walk away. Just forget about the whole thing and move on. Easier said then done, but you can do it.

By the way I’d bet the guy that bought your wheels has the tires. He then called you as a misdirect.
Agree. Life lesson.

Sponsored

OP
OP
STFUdonny

STFUdonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 AG
Thanks guys. That’s been my gut feeling too. Just haven’t experienced something like this before so I am glad to know that you guys aren’t saying I should be hammering these guys. The tires I bought for $400 anyways... so it sucks but it is what it is.

Thanks again!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'd speak to that manager that said it was ok to leave the tires. I would put maximum pressure on him and reach out to the owner.

If they were in great shape, they might wind up on ebay

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'd speak to that manager that said it was ok to leave the tires. I would put maximum pressure on him and reach out to the owner.

If they were in great shape, they might wind up on ebay
The wheel buyer and the shop owner/manager had a business relationship. The buyer went to pickup the wheels and made a deal for the tires. If anything I'd find the buyer and check his tires.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The wheel buyer and the shop owner/manager had a business relationship. The buyer went to pickup the wheels and made a deal for the tires. If anything I'd find the buyer and check his tires.
Yes, I agree. If the OP has photos of the tires, they are serialized. Then Id get the cops involved.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I would agree that you have recourse if you can prove the wheel buyer now has your tires. The problem will really be proving intent. Is it really worth the hassle? I'd say no ... leave seething reviews on social media and move on.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
You know that bad feeling you had when you first went to the shop? You had it for a reason.
BTW….Most lawyers are pushing $400 hr nowadays.