Sponsored

TIRE recommendations for Pacific NW

GT Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tracey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT convertible (performance pack)
New poster here, not new to the GT voodoo bad boy (no, not Eco Boost).

Got my VIN and delivery date today for 2020 GT premium convertible (sweet)! Trading in my ‘17, same model. On my 2nd set of rear P Zeros on this car - what do you people who drive in the Pacific NW put on your cars for rainy winters? Have an ‘06 Rubicon I drive in bad weather but I’d sure like to drive my new GT if I feel like it! I want performance - not keen on the harder, more durable rubber. But I also can’t afford to buy new tires every year :frown: Will put the Perelli’s back on when the roads warm up (June-September here).

Thanks!
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I got the base model that had the 18" wheels with 235 Pzero Nero's. I couldn't stand those tires. Wet weather performance was terrible, and snow traction was adequate, but not as good as it could be. I decided to concentrate on 2 things.

1. Getting a better set of wheels...SVE R350's in a 19x10 square setup.

2. Focusing on tires that have a very good reputation in rain. I decided on 265/40R19 squared, for rotation, yet enough rubber for better performance than the original 235's without having to go staggered, or oversized with 285's. Some of the best would be Michelin AS3+, but they are extremely expensive in the size I wanted.

In the end, I took a chance on Atlas Force UHP tires in 265/40R19. They are very affordable, but have better load, tread, and speed rating than the Michelin AS3+ in that size. The water channels are also much wider, and so far my traction here in the Kitsap/Tacoma area in wet weather has been light years beyond the OEM Pzero Nero tires.

The quality of ride compared to the Pzero Nero tires is far better. The new 265 Atlas tires are roughly 1.5" wider, yet they are slightly quieter, and ride smoother than the Pzero's. They also handle much better, and perform better in all weather conditions compared to the Pzero Nero. I would say the way they ride is probably similar to Continental Extreme Contact PWS06 tires, in that they are slightly softer ride than the Michelin AS3+.

dsc04988-jpg-jpg.jpg

dsc04990-jpg-jpg.jpg

dsc04996-jpg-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
GT Fan

GT Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tracey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT convertible (performance pack)
I got the base model that had the 18" wheels with 235 Pzero Nero's. I couldn't stand those tires. Wet weather performance was terrible, and snow traction was adequate, but not as good as it could be. I decided to concentrate on 2 things.

1. Getting a better set of wheels...SVE R350's in a 19x10 square setup.

2. Focusing on tires that have a very good reputation in rain. I decided on 265/40R19 squared, for rotation, yet enough rubber for better performance than the original 235's without having to go staggered, or oversized with 285's. Some of the best would be Michelin AS3+, but they are extremely expensive in the size I wanted.

In the end, I took a chance on Atlas Force UHP tires in 265/40R19. They are very affordable, but have better load, tread, and speed rating than the Michelin AS3+ in that size. The water channels are also much wider, and so far my traction here in the Kitsap/Tacoma area in wet weather has been light years beyond the OEM Pzero Nero tires.

The quality of ride compared to the Pzero Nero tires is far better. The new 265 Atlas tires are roughly 1.5" wider, yet they are slightly quieter, and ride smoother than the Pzero's. They also handle much better, and perform better in all weather conditions compared to the Pzero Nero. I would say the way they ride is probably similar to Continental Extreme Contact PWS06 tires, in that they are slightly softer ride than the Michelin AS3+.

dsc04988-jpg-jpg.jpg

dsc04990-jpg-jpg.jpg

dsc04996-jpg-jpg.jpg
I’ll take a look at the Atlas. I’d considered the Continental for my ‘17 but in the end replaced the PZeros for max trade-in value. Thanks for the input!
Sponsored