Sponsored

Tire recommendation for thunderhill

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Stock wheels are 18x8"? with a 235/50R18 tire, right? A lot of the good tire options are not available in that size... and an 8" wheel is anemic for track use. Being so thin it won't grip as well and will overheat faster than a wider tire on a wider wheel. Maybe the ADVAN A052 in 235/45R18 (sticky!) or the Firehawk Indy 500 in 245/45R18 (cheap).

Ideally you'd upgrade to 19x10 ET35 or ET40" wheels (lots of plug and play options in that size) which would let you run a good 285/35R19 tire.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Stock wheels are 18x8"? with a 235/50R18 tire, right? A lot of the good tire options are not available in that size... and an 8" wheel is anemic for track use. Being so thin it won't grip as well and will overheat faster than a wider tire on a wider wheel. Maybe the ADVAN A052 in 235/45R18 (sticky!) or the Firehawk Indy 500 in 245/45R18 (cheap).

Ideally you'd upgrade to 19x10 ET35 or ET40" wheels (lots of plug and play options in that size) which would let you run a good 285/35R19 tire.
Hi! Yes that the rims i got right now, dont have money this year for rims but want some good tires, anything will
Be better than my stock tires i been running at the track, the advan u said coMpared to the firehawk indy is the price difference warranted? Are those indy beat bang for the buck kinda tire? Do u have a link to the 19z10 wheels u recommned? What et35 mean? Thanx!!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hi! Yes that the rims i got right now, dont have money this year for rims but want some good tires, anything will
Be better than my stock tires i been running at the track, the advan u said coMpared to the firehawk indy is the price difference warranted? Are those indy beat bang for the buck kinda tire? Do u have a link to the 19z10 wheels u recommned? What et35 mean? Thanx!!
The Advan A052 is designed for dry track and are legit fast tires, but won't be as good at resisting hydroplaning on the street/highway if you get a lot of rain where you live. The Firehawk Indy 500 is a popular summer performance tire but not the same level of grip as the Advans. However they are probably more well rounded on the street, and they cost less. If all you care about is dry track, the Advans are the better tire, but we're making the best of a bad situation with your 8" wide wheels, so YMMV.

ET is the offset of the wheel. A 19x10 ET35 or an 19x10 ET40 wheel is a good 'square' fit for all four corners of your car. For cheaper wheels that work well, look at some of the SVE offerings.. SVE R350, SVE S350. We're just looking for a flow formed aka spun forged wheel in 19x10ET35-40 which is hubcentric for a S550 Mustang and doesn't cost too much. If it doesn't say they are spun forged or flow formed (which just mean the barrel of the wheel is forged and face is cast), then the whole thing is cast and probably avoid it, regardless of cost. Forged is best (whole wheel is forged) but those cost more. Forged barrels is the next best thing and will survive a lot of impacts that will bend or break a cast wheel.

If you want a very good track worthy flow formed wheel, look at the Apex SM-10. It costs a little more than the SVE offerings, but its a better part and definitely up to the job.

If you do step up to a 19x10 wheel, there are additional/different tire options in those sizes and my tire recommendations would change.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
The Advan A052 is designed for dry track and are legit fast tires, but won't be as good at resisting hydroplaning on the street/highway if you get a lot of rain where you live. The Firehawk Indy 500 is a popular summer performance tire but not the same level of grip as the Advans. However they are probably more well rounded on the street, and they cost less. If all you care about is dry track, the Advans are the better tire, but we're making the best of a bad situation with your 8" wide wheels, so YMMV.

ET is the offset of the wheel. A 19x10 ET35 or an 19x10 ET40 wheel is a good 'square' fit for all four corners of your car. For cheaper wheels that work well, look at some of the SVE offerings.. SVE R350, SVE S350. We're just looking for a flow formed aka spun forged wheel in 19x10ET35-40 which is hubcentric for a S550 Mustang and doesn't cost too much. If it doesn't say they are spun forged or flow formed (which just mean the barrel of the wheel is forged and face is cast), then the whole thing is cast and probably avoid it, regardless of cost. Forged is best (whole wheel is forged) but those cost more. Forged barrels is the next best thing and will survive a lot of impacts that will bend or break a cast wheel.

If you want a very good track worthy flow formed wheel, look at the Apex SM-10. It costs a little more than the SVE offerings, but its a better part and definitely up to the job.

If you do step up to a 19x10 wheel, there are additional/different tire options in those sizes and my tire recommendations would change.
Lots of info which i appreciate a lot and yes am trying to do what i can with my 8inch wheel, are this any good ive heard very good things about them and they are inexpensive are this flow formed or spun forged? https://lmr.com/item/SVE-1007DE/200...rgsIGuA7fcKEvrAfkAcwR2AuwLO-lEMBoCceYQAvD_BwE

Sponsored

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
Are tho

se firehawk tires better than say the sumitomo hr5 or general???

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t say from firsthand experience if the Indy 500 is better or equal to those, I tend to go for the stickier range of tires. The I dy’s get recommended here a lot tho, but more for sporty street tires, the track guys are usually more hardcore and got for tires which last and stick better at high temps, like the Advan.

OP
OP

Caballito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
H

hi, per ur recommendation i been researching the firehawk indy 500 tires, question have u ran this? If so how do they do after a couple of laps compared to say the ad052? I take it the firestone will overheat roght not as consistantly? I do 5 5 laps sessions if that helps
Sponsored