Tire Pressure Sensors

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Have a 2020 Ecoboost Premium Coupe, I have noticed that the tire pressure readings are 3-4 lbs over my gauges. The right side is always 1 lb over the left. I put the same in all tires and all 3 of my tire pressure gauges show the same. Is the sensors adjustable or can be reset by the dealer.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The sensors cannot be adjusted, but the TPMS module could, I assume. However, TPMS sensors are not meant to be accurate tire pressure devices; they're only meant to alert driver of significant pressure loss, to avoid an accident.

Having said that, for some weird reason, all TPMS systems are calibrated at 20C (68F), so if ambient temp is lower, TPMS would read high by 1 psi per 10F difference. And vice-versa when it's hotter. Bottom line is you CANNOT rely on the TPMS for accurate tire pressures, so don't worry about small differences, which I'm sure are within specs :).

Rick369

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I have a 2020 Ford Explorer Limited. The TPMS sensors pressure for each tire are exactly the same as my electronic hand held tire gauge. I will check my 2017 Mustang and see if the TPMS sensors are reading the same as my hand held tire gauge.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Mine are exact.

My Truck ... each tire is way off 3-10 lbs depending on what tire.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
My right front TPMS always reads 2 psi over my handheld gauge.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I work at BMW - I’m a master tech, and I can say for certain that the sensors can vary quite a bit, even on the same car. I imagine BMW is not an outlier on that. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with them, just not intended to be used as a precision measuring device.
Sponsored