Sponsored

Timing advice - Anxiety after OPG install

bew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT PP
Alright so while doing my OPGs I missed a step and ultimately missed a full rotation of the crank after re-installing the driver side chain, however before putting the passenger side chain back on. I think I corrected by removing the passenger side chain and performing another full rotation, but I'm still somewhat worried that I'm missing something.

So here's what I did from start to finish:

1) Passenger side, crank keyway to 12 o'clock, cam gear to ~11 o'clock, remove chain.
2) Turn crank clockwise, crank keyway to 5 o'clock, remove driver side timing chain
<OPG / CG work here>
3) Put driver side chain back on
4) Turned clockwise, crank keyway to 12 o'clock (this is where I missed a full rotation)
5) Put passenger side chain on
6) Turned crank clockwise 4 full rotations to make sure nothing hit

<insert oh shit moment here>

So at this point, I did the following:

7) Crank keyway already at 12 o'clock, passenger side cam gear already at 11 o'clock.
8) Removed passenger side timing chain
9) Turned crank clockwise a full 360 degrees
10) Reinstalled passenger side timing chain

I feel like timing should be back to normal now right? I turned another 4 full rotations afterwards and again didn't feel/hear any interference.

Thanks guys
Sponsored

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Ok this may not be what you want to hear, but rather than risking it maybe being okay, I'd take the chains off, redo timing procedure, and reinstall to be safe. You definitely do not want have your timing be messed up once you start up, only to have to disassemble and reassemble again.

Maybe someone can chime in with more experience on doing this, but if it were me, I'd redo it as much of a pain in the ass it is, just to be extra safe. Just my .02

2-tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt m6
Starting over is the only way to be 100%. You're probably ok but why risk it.

OP
OP

bew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT PP
Well I've got mostly everything back together, it's just continued to bother me so I wanted some additional brains to walk through my logic...

If I don't hear any interference while manually turning the engine then I shouldn't have any interference when I crank it over right?

OP
OP

bew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 GT PP
Just to add closure to this, all is good. Started her up today without any issues.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Sponsored

BoostedYote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My question is, can someone start over ofnthey have no idea where they are at as long as time marks on the chain line up with the marks on sprocket and cams?

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Ford has an easy step by step process, if there's someone on here that can send you that you'll be fine.
Sponsored