Time to move on

subbz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2
If you want a smooth comfortable ride and power you should check out the 2017-2018 Fusion Sport. It's what we ended up getting when the Focus ST I gave to my younger brother got totalled by a driver that was texting and driving.
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
One big deal regarding road noise is TIRES! The Pilot Super Sports that are on the GT350's are so loud over imperfections. On a smooth road, they're quiet. But they surface slap so badly and it's definitely a sharp piercing sound. My Hankook RS3 V2's were considerably more quiet. With that said, look no further than Continental. I think a Charger RT with Continental DWS06 tires would be the sweet spot for you. A little bit of run scoot, a killer transmission, plenty of room and practicality.

OP
OP
rubyinla

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I did install new wheels last week and next will be to lower it a little. This is a 2012 that has the EcoBoost Appearance Package ('10-12 only) which means all body color moldings and no wood interior pieces.
MKS2.jpg

MKS1.jpg

OP
OP
rubyinla

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
OP
OP
rubyinla

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB

Sponsored

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
The thing about noise is that you not only perceive it through your ears but also the vibrations through your skull.
And feet and hands and...

If NVH is that important for you, then
-heavy car, shifts NVH to a much lower frequency
-active/adaptive suspension
-more sidewall, wheels no more than 18”
-quiet tires!

For a new car, that would be something like a Lincoln Continental. For an older car, nothing rides like a Bentley.

OP
OP
rubyinla

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Regarding tires... Exactly. That's why I initially did not get the performance package with the bigger wheels.
I've also got a 2004 Crossfire that I'm looking to replace 10 year old Michelins on (cars only got 46k miles). Surprised to see a European tire, Barum, show up. Made by Continental in Europe. Amazing price and suppose to be quiet from my research. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/...Product/11451?all-vehicles=true#/read-reviews.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Have tinnitus myself and I know it ain't no fun.
How old are you guys with tinnitus? And is there any relief you can do for it? I'll probably end up with it :(.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input.
Yeah, from what I've read you need to stay away from the 2002 and before type S's. There was a 1990 Mustang 5.0 with 60k miles and original owner for $7k in Craigslist the other day. The Mini... the accident part doesn't worry me as I've had 2 Miata's, 2 MG's, 300 ZX, Morris Minor and some other small cars. Thanks for the tip on the Challenger.
Even new mini's aren't exactly what I would consider "quiet" on the road/tire noise front.

We had a 2015 and I can say with confidence that a fiesta ST is quieter.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Tires.

We have a stock 2015 Ecoboost with the Performance Package and the car is very quiet as long as there are relatively new tires. As the tires wear down the road noise amplifies. It was getting very loud until I replaced the tires and now the car is quiet again.

This is true with any car as my Audi had the same road noise issue with used up tires.

My wife commutes to work in the Mustang and if it was too loud I would be hearing about it from her. I can honestly say the Mustang is as quiet if not more quite than our past cars including Honda, Hyndai, Audi, Porsche, and VW.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rubyinla

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
How old are you guys with tinnitus? And is there any relief you can do for it? I'll probably end up with it :(.
It started for me when I was 62. Been with me for 10 years and just bumped up in volume 11 months ago. There's no usual age that you might get it. There is no cure or relief. It is always there and you just tend to ignore it when you get busy. It's amazing how many people I've talked to have it. Wear ear plugs (almost useless) or, at the very least, a set of ear defenders from Harbor Freight that will reduce noise by 23db. I've got a decent set that brings noise down 34db. Note that db ratings are not linear. http://www.helpcharts.com/decibel-range-chart-info.html I just did a couple of cross country airline trips and the saving grace, for me, were active noise cancelling head phones.

"Subjective tinnitus is tinnitus only you can hear. This is the most common type of tinnitus. It can be caused by ear problems in your outer, middle or inner ear. It also can be caused by problems with the hearing (auditory) nerves or the part of your brain that interprets nerve signals as sound (auditory pathways)."

OP
OP
rubyinla

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Tires.

We have a stock 2015 Ecoboost with the Performance Package and the car is very quiet as long as there are relatively new tires. As the tires wear down the road noise amplifies. It was getting very loud until I replaced the tires and now the car is quiet again.

This is true with any car as my Audi had the same road noise issue with used up tires.

My wife commutes to work in the Mustang and if it was too loud I would be hearing about it from her. I can honestly say the Mustang is as quiet if not more quite than our past cars including Honda, Hyndai, Audi, Porsche, and VW.

OP
OP
rubyinla

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
At one point I had Falken Azenis RT's on my Miata. They were increadibly noise. Over 25mph it sounded like all the wheel bearings where gone.

To a certain extent you have to give up some performance to get a quieter tire it seems.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The other poster was probably correct.

Get yourself as new of a Lexus LS that you can afford. They tank in value after 4 or so years (which is actually pretty good for a big luxury car).

For $30k you could probably find a brutally clean LS460 and put a new set of tires on it.

The tinnitus sounds brutal, that car should be able to help with that.