Sponsored

Ticking in brand new car

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
You can hear bbq tick with no cats? I would think it would be more noticeable while standing near the car if that were the case
Yepp...trust me, I had the tick and went through all these steps prepared for ford to throw nonsense at me.

Since I had a ford racing cat back they said my tick was coming from the exhaust...lol. The exhaust designed by their company. So I had it removed and showed them the tick still existed.

Dropping the exhaust will only prove if it is the exhaust. If it's still there it's mechanical most likely the engine.
Sponsored

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
Does the air conditioning on/off affect the noise?

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
please keep us updated. I have a tick/knock that sounds the same and I hear it way louder when I jack up the car and put an ear to the oil pan

Sponsored

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Just got it back, they told me it's normal and they verified it with a couple of other GTs on the lot. We went and listened to them and sure enough they all had the tick, it's just a 5.0 characteristic.

With that said, I still hate the sound. So you guys think i should remove the cats? What's a quiet option? I wouldn't mind something loud if I got on it, but I don't want drone and I don't want to wake the neighbors in the morning.

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Sorry to bring up this old thread. But I'm currently researching the same issue here as well. I just did my second oil change, 2016 GT PP, the car's at around 15000 miles right now, and I have a Corsa Extreme.

I've always had this tick ever since I had my car new. When I'm driving by a center divider with my windows down I can hear this tick that goes along with the RPM of my car. After the second oil change it kinda got louder, I think.

The problem now is, if I'm at a stop and accelerating I can hear the tick pretty loudly. No ticking at idle, so I don't think it's the BBQ tick. I also can't hear it unless the noise is being bounced back in a tighter space.

Anyone else experience hearing ticking noises when accelerating from a stop?

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
Have it checked for piston slap. They found cyl 4 pitted on mine and wear from slap on cyl 2

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Have it checked for piston slap. They found cyl 4 pitted on mine and wear from slap on cyl 2
Thanks, I will try to ask them to check for that. Usually they will just turn me away and say it's normal.

Sponsored

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
You will have to fight. To fully check piston slap the engine has to come out and be torn down

Catax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
You will have to fight. To fully check piston slap the engine has to come out and be torn down
That doesn't sound good. The problem is it's tricky to replicate this tick. I'd have to be next to a wall and the clutch must be engaged when throttling. Revving in neutral doesn't produce the sound.

I'll bring it in on a weekday and try and have a mechanic at the dealer look at it.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely not good. My car is quiet, my 2004 f-150 however ticks like a bitch, even my new jasper engine sounds just as bad as the one it replaced. Hopefully it doesn't go boom like the original one did.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
If it does blow I hope it happens within 25,000 miles lol. I'll be draining the factory oil and putting in Mobil1 5w-20 full synthetic in a few hundred miles. Hoping that will help

Last edited:

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
well I lemon lawed mine. They replaced the shortblock but it has been back twice since then to have them fix crap they screwed up replacing the shortblock
Sponsored