Sponsored

Thrown rod, in my ecoboost (pics included)

OP
OP
S5fiddy

S5fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Squirtle
Vehicle(s)
16' Mustang Ecoboost *Magnetic* Prem.
I think what I'm trying to get at... Is this car is barley little over a year old. Brand New. 74k miles... It just seems really crazy to me, that it would do this.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of people are saying the tune I had in the past, causes Ford to immediately shun away from even attempting to help , or replace anything to do with the engine. I have an attorney that says differently.
Your attorney is right.

xjester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem w/PP
I think what I'm trying to get at... Is this car is barley little over a year old. Brand New. 74k miles... It just seems really crazy to me, that it would do this.
Isn't the warranty up at 60k? Did you get a warranty?

And how did you rack up 74k in a year?

Ecoboobs

RAINF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP (Poverty Pack) 2.3T A/T
FFS! Sorry to hear that she let go mate. Good luck getting her back on the road as soon as possible. This is fast becoming a game of russian roulette for EB mustangs. I don't think any owner can ignore the very real risk of becoming a stat like this. I have recently ordered a tune but risk assessment wise it puts me in the red even with FMIC, catch cans, cold plugs etc due to the random nature of the failures.

I can't think of any other turbo cars I've owned in the past where I am genuinely starting to stress about mods. Adding a couple of pounds more boost and a little more timing to tidy up the curve, slightly leaning out the fuel map (basic tune shit) and having it potentially hand grenade (randomly) is not something I am going to get used to.

Will be interesting to see if #3 rod bent or snapped.

M7 2017 EB has 1500 kms on it and I'm already starting to think about a trade on a more reliable platform. Such a beautiful car to drive, looks and value but turbo cars are meant to be modded that's why I bought one.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
74k miles is far from new... That's ~midlife on stock tune and also out of powertrain warranty unless you bought an extended one. How you racked up that kind of mileage is impressive. Either way, there's an excellent chance any evidence that would show that tune did not exacerbate or cause the failure, was destroyed with the failure. The way investigative engineering works, they will logically deduce and use the best data they have. Brace yourself for replacing it yourself, though.

Sponsored

AEengnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Unfortunately, with the history of tune and being out of warranty, I would suspect that any chance of Ford paying a single cent is out the window. I owned several VW's before my GT and with the super expensive DSG, I heard a lot of stories of VW making offers to cover parts and have customers pay for just labor when well out of warranty. I would guess Ford has similar deals but a documented tune hurts the case.

I hope I'm wrong and Ford pays everything for you, but it just doesn't look good right now from a business standpoint.

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
2.3 in a car this size is a lot of stress. It seems to leave very little room to reliably tune these engines. The 2.7 v6 would have been the sweet spot. Best of luck, hope it all works out in your favor.

OP
OP
S5fiddy

S5fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Squirtle
Vehicle(s)
I racked up those miles a lot yes. Best friend and I started a business together. Traveling ended up being an extremely important part of the business. Unfortunately I didn't expect my car to take a poop like this. I highly recommend not getting the ecoboost, for I've read many nightmares about them. Stick to the good ol' coyote. I hope to be back on the road to amigos :( pray for me

#Ecoboom #S550Unite

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I racked up those miles a lot yes. Best friend and I started a business together. Traveling ended up being an extremely important part of the business. Unfortunately I didn't expect my car to take a poop like this. I highly recommend not getting the ecoboost, for I've read many nightmares about them. Stick to the good ol' coyote. I hope to be back on the road to amigos :( pray for me

#Ecoboom #S550Unite
Sorry to hear of your car. I had a EB for about 5 months before trading it for my GT. If Ford does not replace the motor are you going to swap a 5.0 in? Best of luck to you

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Whats up guys!

So I've had some issues with my 16' Ecoboost mustang when it comes to the cylinder 2 misfire. Well worst came to worst. 2 weeks ago while coming home, my stang decided to throw a rod and blow on me at around 3k RPM, going about 45 mph. (Car has 74k miles on it)
Was your car manual or auto?

And was your tune 91 or 93 ?

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Stuff like this was part of the deciding factor in me trading in my EB for a 5.0. Even with the car almost entirely stock I was always worrying in the back of my mind. I saw too many nightmare stories in the Mazda 2.3L community and seeing the same stuff happen on the ecoboost with the related motor didn't make me feel safe for long term ownership.

StingyStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT base PP
Stuff like this was part of the deciding factor in me trading in my EB for a 5.0. Even with the car almost entirely stock I was always worrying in the back of my mind. I saw too many nightmare stories in the Mazda 2.3L community and seeing the same stuff happen on the ecoboost with the related motor didn't make me feel safe for long term ownership.
You know, it's probably fine if you leave it stock, maybe ask another 20Hp out of it, but 310HP out of a 2.3 is already asking as much as you should. I know Ford PP turns it up to 410. that would be the equivalent of running 891Hp out of the Coyote. You got 74k on the motor under these conditions? Get a used motor and swap it in with a friend. :doh:

http://www.automotix.net/usedengine...es=fd370699bdf027a1048ca6b27a831655&seq_num=1

OP
OP
S5fiddy

S5fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Squirtle
Vehicle(s)

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
The only way i can see you getting any help from ford is if you bought the extended service contract, or if your dealer is like mine and has lifetime powertrain warranty!

OP
OP
S5fiddy

S5fiddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Squirtle
Vehicle(s)
The only way i can see you getting any help from ford is if you bought the extended service contract, or if your dealer is like mine and has lifetime powertrain warranty!
My service advisor during our phone call, I believe mentioned that my warranty should cover it, if it's in my favor.
Sponsored