Throttle Dies Off?

PCho222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The absolutely strangest thing has happened to me today. I was driving my 2015 M6 GT home today and everything was behaving normally as usual. Out of nowhere, if I kept my throttle applied for more than a second or two, the car would start to decelerate as if I am off the gas pedal. The vacuum gauge slowly starts to creep to the left (as if I am off the gas) and oil pressure remains the same ~60PSI. My AFR seems to stay bouncing between 13.8-14.2 just like it would if I were cruising constant speed with the throttle applied despite it clearly decelerating. If I actually pull my foot off, the AFR shoots to 20+ like normal.

I have NO lights, no DTC codes that neither engineering test mode nor my nGauge can see. If I pulled my foot off the throttle once the decel started happening and gently reapplied it, it worked briefly then repeated the problem after another second or two. When I pulsated the throttle light-heavier-light-heavier-etc. then the car didn't have the issue and was "normal." The car pulled just fine at WOT and rev'ed fine in neutral or with the clutch in. There are no lights or warnings that the car is giving me whatsoever. I restarted the car at a light to see if it would fix the issue but it remained for the next 10 miles until I got home. The problem was in every gear and with less-than-WOT input. Also interesting to note, cruise control would turn on but I couldn't set the speed which made me think it went into limp mode, but again, no symbols or codes whatsoever. For info, I have a mostly full tank of 93 and I am running a Lund tune with basic bolt-ons (header and intake).

After googling around and finding nothing, I went back out and the car seems to behave normally again (at least the quarter mile around my neighborhood). Has this ever happened to anyone before? I expected at least a CEL or maybe a warning in the center of my dash giving me the wrench, but nothing. Other than the throttle surge and cruise control, you wouldn't think there is anything wrong.

This is probably important to state, but I am thinking that this may be related to an issue that my friend was having while he was looking after my car when I was overseas for the past year. He said that it wouldn't start one day (he drove it once a week) and so I ordered one of those big Anti-Gravity lithium batteries for it. He put it in and it started right up. Sometime after that, he said that occasionally while driving, all the lights and electronics (radio, AC, etc.) would turn off then turn back in after about 10 seconds sporadically. Everything would come back on except for the radio and sometimes the AC. Since my return and driving my car, I haven't witnessed this issue; just the one I am mentioning above.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PCho222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I feel like an idiot, but the throttle issue is due to my brake light switch going bad and the car thinking the brakes are stuck on this going into limp mode and no cruise control. If anyone else is having this issue, check your brake lights!